Looking for stories of midwives who have lost their practices - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm writing a paper and looking for information on midwives who have been driven out of practice, lost their licenses through litigation or otherwise, or in some way had to end their practices before they were ready.

I've got Peggy Vincent already, and a midwife I know personally, but I'd like to review some more stories. I'm interested in the relationship between the law and the practice of midwifery.

Thanks!

Jen
#2 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasneedlove View Post
I'm writing a paper and looking for information on midwives who have been driven out of practice, lost their licenses through litigation or otherwise, or in some way had to end their practices before they were ready.

I've got Peggy Vincent already, and a midwife I know personally, but I'd like to review some more stories. I'm interested in the relationship between the law and the practice of midwifery.

Thanks!

Jen
Hm. Interesting topic! Well, I practiced as a homebirth midwife in Illinois for almost 20 years. My practice ended in 2001 in a flurry of legal activity, which included two cease and desist orders, and the "indefinite suspension" of my nursing license (I became an RN in 1999). I have not practiced midwifery since 2001, but I did go back to school -- law school -- and am currently licensed to practice law in Illinois. I now provide a lot of support for midwives and midwifery clients with legal issues.

Sooo...."the relationship between the law and the practice of midwifery".... I know a bit about that.
#3 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh, I would LOVE to pick your brain. Can I email you privately in a month or so when I have done more research?

Jen
#4 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasneedlove View Post
Ooh, I would LOVE to pick your brain. Can I email you privately in a month or so when I have done more research?

Jen
Sure. Let me know how I can help.
#5 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
I have not practiced midwifery since 2001, but I did go back to school -- law school -- and am currently licensed to practice law in Illinois. I now provide a lot of support for midwives and midwifery clients with legal issues.
So glad to hear you finished up and are practicing, Valerie! Great news!

Jen, are you aware of this resource? www.fromcallingtocourtroom.net

Christa
#6 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnchrista View Post

I did indeed. I graduated from law school and took the Illinois bar exam in 2009. I passed, but it took a little longer than usual to actually be admitted to the Illinois bar, because I had to convince the bar examiners that my sordid past as a midwife really did not make me too dangerous to practice law in Illinois

By the way, my nursing license was actually reinstated a little over a year ago -- I had to petition the state for its reinstatement and retake the NCLEX.
#7 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Judy Kay Jones from SD has been willing to be interviewed in the past. You can find her case history online and can contact her through South Dakota Safe Childbirth Options and I think she still works with the SD Midwives Guild. She would also have the info on the other midwife that was prosecuted in SD.
#8 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Betty Peckman in IL is another story. Her case happened in IL somewhere around the years 1987-1989. I moved out of the state in 1988. I met her and her then assistant at mnay state midwifery meetings. The assistant is now a CNM & went to the same nurse-midwifery program that I graduated from in 2009.
#9 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, mamas, for all the suggestions. I am still working on this project, but slowly, as I have a toddler and a preschooler. I still appreciate any and all other suggestions. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Jen
#10 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnchrista View Post

Holy cow, that's awesome! Thank you!
#11 of 11 Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM

PA and MD have had more than their fair share....
Plenty in PA have been under attack in the past few years. MD homebirth was ruled illegal not too long ago. I know the Frederick Midwives Associates had to leave the area, and they were all CNMs with years of experience delivering at the hospital. ??? You might want to research those areas?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page