Contacting potential preceptors - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you say? I've emailed two...I was thinking email might be better than phone since I don't want to put anyone on the spot...and talking on the phone makes me want to puke (I realize I HAVE to get over that, but it's going to take some baby steps). Neither have emailed me back though and it's been 2w for one of them and 1w for the other. I didn't say "hey can I apprentice with you" or anything, but I figured I'd get some sort of response back. So I guess before I try contacting any others I thought I'd get advice on what to say.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#2 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM

I've met most of the midwives in my town by setting up a time to visit via email. I don't do the phone unless absolutely necessary because it can be difficult for me to hear. I did end up with an apprenticeship with one by initially contacting her via email.

I think it totally depends on who you are trying to get into contact with. Some people are more phone people, or would rather text or email. Frankly, it kind of turns me off when someone won't get back to me even just to say "thanks, but no thanks". Just rubs me the wrong way somehow. What if I was a pregnant woman looking for a midwife, would she then not bother to get back to me? Luckily I've really not had this happen. They've all been pretty quick to respond.

Which makes me think, what kind of email account do you have? If you've got yahoo or hotmail or something like that it could be getting lost in her spam box.

Oh, and to answer your question more specifically, I'd let her know I was a student looking for local opportunities to apprentice. Does she know of anyone who might be looking for an assistant? Ask if she has any openings in her schedule to meet with you, you would love the opportunity to meet with her and get to know her a little bit, ask advice, etc.

Where are you in Idaho? There is a week long skills workshop coming up in October in Boise with Vicki Penwell. That might be an opportunity for you.

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#3 of 4 Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM

On the other side of the coin, I am a new midwife and I have had several wannabe's email me to pick my brain and then not even thank me for the reply I spent 15 minutes working on.

If I've had this many just in the last year, I can't even imagine how annoying that gets for midwives of 10, 15 and 20+ years.

I am probably just going to end up with a generic response* I can copy and paste to such emails because I am taking away time from my family and clients to answer them.

*telling them to call me at such and such time to discuss it further if I have any potential openings or just directing them to the state mw assoc.
#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
On the other side of the coin, I am a new midwife and I have had several wannabe's email me to pick my brain and then not even thank me for the reply I spent 15 minutes working on.
Oh my goodness, yes! I get tons of emails either from people looking for an apprenticeship or asking me about schooling or wanting to shadow or whatever. About 90% of the time, after I write a good response, I never even get a 'thank you'. So, I can see why midwives may finally just get tired of responding at all, unless they actually have a space they are looking to fill.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page