Contemplating midwifery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently in school to be an RN. I have recently been thinking about possibly becoming a midwife. I used a midwife (in a doctor's office) with my first pregnancy--but bc I had gestational diabetes and the baby was so large I opted for a c-section. I didn't know much about anything, so I listened to the dr that did the ultrasound. He did not tell me I had to do it, but warned me that she would probably get stuck. SO I decided I didn't want her bones broken, that they could cut me open instead.

I now, after 3 c-sections, advice everyone I know against it. There are soo many ppl out there that think it is the "easy way out". But I think things should be done in a natural way.

I wanted to know what other schooling or certification is required to become a midwife?
#2 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 AM

In Florida, midwifery is legal--so you should be able to find info through your state medical board (whatever it is called). You might try posting your query on the Finding Your Tribe board, where you will find people in your state who can help direct you to info on midwifery in FL.

good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We plan on moving back to GA when I finish. Where can I find out more about if it is legal?
#4 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhill View Post
Thank you! We plan on moving back to GA when I finish. Where can I find out more about if it is legal?
Are you planning on getting your RN and becoming a CNM?

Technically, CNMs are the only recognized midwives in Georgia. However, there are plenty of midwives (CPMs and DEMs) who practice under the table here. I'm currently apprenticing and then am starting classes via MCU in order to get my CPM - and I'm in Georgia.

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#5 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

yes. I plan on getting my RN license and then becoming a CNM. I will probably work as a RN in a hospital (hopefully on the OB floor, NICU, or pediatrics). Then I will work on getting my CNM. I am not positive what other schooling I will need (but I think it is 2 more years). I can find that out though.
I sent you a PM.
#6 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Hi jenhill,
That's great that you are interested in becoming a midwife! To become a CNM, you must enroll in an MSN program with a nurse-midwifery track. Many MSN programs require a BSN, but there are also bridge programs where you can go from an ADN to an MSN.

MSN programs generally take about 2-3 years to complete.

PM me if you have any questions.
#7 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm in nursing school as well and plan on getting my CNM from Frontier. It's a distance program which works out well since there's nowhere close I can go.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page