Maternidad La Luz? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - has anyone had experience there? I am considering a 3 month Introduction to Midwifery Practicum. I am planning to start an apprenticeship in the summer of 2011 with some local midwives, but I thought Maternidad La Luz might offer some good hands on clinical experience...

Any feedback from people who have been there or know others who have been there would be much appreciated.
#2 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to reply to my own message with some more thoughts about what I want, which hopefully will generate some feedback! What are really want to gain is clinical experience, which I 100% lack. I am a Certified Doula and have experience labor sitting. I want to know how to do blood draws, blood pressure, etc so that I can bring that to my apprenticeship.

After reading some of the old posts on here about race and the border and island clinics, that gave me pause. Could I meet those clinical needs through local CNA, phlebotomy, etc. courses? Is there a better way?
#3 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 AM

I don't know anything about that apprenticeship, but my CNA course cost $600 and was a lot of hours for what we learned. The only thing really applicable to midwifery is learning blood pressure (and if you don't know the basics of blood born pathogens, then that too) which is done like once before CNA clinicals. So no, I would say just buy a cuff and stethoscope and have someone show you or teach yourself via the internet. Don't bother with a CNA course.

As far as phlebotomy, if you would consider using the certification to work on the side, then sure. Otherwise, if you will be taught in your practicum I wouldn't invest that much time and money. But I don't have personal experience with that one

Have fun with whatever you do!

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 AM

Those are skills easily learned during apprenticeship if you ask me. If you have a local homebirth apprenticeship available I would suggest that over any birth center.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM

I hope to attend Mercy In Action's Midwife Training program in a few years when I am ready to begin the hands-on training for midwifery:

http://www.mercyinaction.com/midwife...Coursescontent

There are also dates coming up in February 2011 (20-26, maybe?)

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I do have an apprenticeship lined up to start mid-2011, and in the meantime, I have some time, so I thought maybe I should get a head start on those skills. I was worried about not bringing enough to start with to the apprenticeship. But the midwives I'll be working with definitely didn't say that I had to go out and learn this stuff, although they would be fine with it if I did. There's also the Farm Midwifery Assistant workshop, but I thought it might be too basic.
#7 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I loved my 5 week long internship at Casa de N*acimiento but...I am really happy that I had a good amount of experience before going into it. These high volume birth centers are nothing like homebirth. not bad, but not homebirth. Because they see so many births, they really practice with a lot more fear than the homebirth midwives I know.

You will get lots of hands on experience, improve your spanish, and see a few crazy and probably rare cases. Just remember that fear is not helpful to you.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page