Molding before full dilation, or when baby is high - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
 
JessicaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is this the sign of doom? For several doula clients, it has been given as the final reason for justifying a cesarean that providers had been hinting at for awhile.

"Oooooh, and now I can feel that the baby's head is starting to mold, and you're only X cm... Tsk, tsk, tsk... We know for sure now that you will need a cesarean, this baby's head is just never going to fit."
JessicaE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM
 
jljeppson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Moorhead
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never heard of that as a reason for c-section, but I'd like to hear what everyone else says.
jljeppson is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Charmie981's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IME, caput at a high station and early dilation is not a good sign. Caput is not the same as molding, though. And of course I'd never say anything to a client at that point about not fitting or a c-section. Caput at a high station and complete and pushing for hours and not getting anywhere (or caput getting more pronounced) is a different story...we'd transport at that point, most likely for a c-section.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Charmie981 is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
 
April422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Some Where Out There
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
IME, caput at a high station and early dilation is not a good sign. Caput is not the same as molding, though. And of course I'd never say anything to a client at that point about not fitting or a c-section. Caput at a high station and complete and pushing for hours and not getting anywhere (or caput getting more pronounced) is a different story...we'd transport at that point, most likely for a c-section.
If baby is at a high station and not engaged in the pelvis what is causing the caput?

April :
Mom, Wife, Doula, CBE
April422 is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
 
Charmie981's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exactly, April.

The two times I've seen that it's because baby wasn't fitting into the inlet of the pelvis and the labor ended in a c-section.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Charmie981 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
 
MsBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SE MO
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far as I'm concerned, the OPs post makes me think of nothing so much as "Yet another reason to keep meddling hands OUT of a woman's yoni during labor!"

I'm sorry, that just sounds ridiculous to me. I'll bet that hospital/doc has an awfully high surgical birth rate
MsBlack is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
JessicaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
I'll bet that hospital/doc has an awfully high surgical birth rate
MIDWIFE. Both times.

Thanks to all for the feedback, I welcome other thoughts!
JessicaE is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
 
Earthy Birthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SHIFTing
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the OPs post makes me think of nothing so much as "Yet another reason to keep meddling hands OUT of a woman's yoni during labor!"
Earthy Birthy is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off