Doula Workshop good intro to Midwifery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm Heather, and I am planning to pursue midwifery education. It's something I've been thinking about for a long time, but only recently decided to go for.

I've been thinking of doing a Doula workshop in a couple of weeks, and hopefully getting some doula experience, before starting the midwifery course, mostly because classes are a few months away at best. But the workshop I'm looking at is quite expensive.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about whether they think it would be worth if for me to do this doula workshop, or whether it's just an extra expense. I'm looking at it as a chance for me to experience some of the "lifestyle" (on-call, etc). But I kind of feel like it's just more time away from my toddler and an expense I can't really afford.

I would love to hear thoughts!
#2 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've gone that route. I thought that it would be "close enough" where I would be satisfied until I was ready to start apprenticing. If you are just going for the training, it doesn't hurt. If you are planning on doing what I did, I say to heck with it. The doula training wasn't a deterrent to midwifery work, but if you're going straight in to working just a few months later than I would say save your money and your time. I hated working as a doula knowing that I disagreed with a lot that was going on and was in some ways helpless to change it. If that had been everything I wanted to do, it would have been fine, but knowing what I was moving on to made it torture.
#3 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM

It can be useful and help you get some experience at births... I don't think it is ever a bad thing. That said, I don't think you have to be a doula first before apprenticing (I didn't, although at times I wished I had just for the additional experiences).

eta: apprenticing is very expensive and a doula workshop is going to be the least of your expenses. As a doula, you can take on doula clients during your preceptor's slow months for some extra income.
#4 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=busybusymomma;eta: apprenticing is very expensive and a doula workshop is going to be the least of your expenses. As a doula, you can take on doula clients during your preceptor's slow months for some extra income.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this if your preceptor will allow it. I do know of preceptors that make it clear that you are on their time, at all times, and will drop you if you take on births other than theirs.
#5 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I still have some thinking to do! jljpeeson, I am afraid of being disheartened, but hope maybe I can focus on trying to do some good. I don't know what situations will present themselves at this point. And I don't have a preceptor yet (and may end up moving to a new town next year because of my husband's schooling, so don't even know if I should start looking) so can't ask about their policy.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts!
#6 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 PM

I'm doing training next mont through toabor (sorry, the etter after K on my keyboard doesn't work). I want to become a MW too. I figure it's good info to know since I am going to be heing aboring moms as a MW and the info wi come in handy.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 10 Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 PM

At the Midwifery program in my area (Seattle), taking the Doula workshop and Childbirth Educator Training are required before entering the Midwifery program. I was lucky that my Doula class last week was taught by Penny Simkin!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#8 of 10 Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP, how much is the doula workshop that you were looking at taking?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 10 Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Much of what I do in my practice as a doula (education and physical and emotional support) I use as a midwife. I think that depending on which course you take, it is DEFINATELY a good first step to take. Also, having lived the on-call lifestyle is beneficial because you can look a potential preceptor in the eyes and say,"Yes, I have been on call for the last two years." which is a big selling point, I think. Having been a doula for a while before I started apprenticing, I knew some of the level of responsibility I would have to take on as a midwife, and frankly, even when I started my apprenticeship, I wasn't ready emotionally to take on that responsibility yet. I guess my outlook is that doing doula work, even as a stepping stone to midwifery is not a "waste of money and/or time," it can really help you to cement the kind of practitioner you want to be when you are the one with the skills and the responsibility.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#10 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

phathui5, the cost is $500. But I actually skipped that training because I found out about a free abbreviated training at a local hospital. Unfortunately that won't happen til spring. So now I'm back to looking at the more costly ones.

I'm beginning to think I really should do this. Spend some time on-call and attending births before I commit to the midwife path. I expect the whole process to take me many years, as I have a toddler and plan another kid sometime.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page