As a midwife....what are you allowed to carry .. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in your bag per state regulations?

Can you attend twins? VBAC?

I love to hear about all the differences.

Thanks!
Jes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM

In Utah you can license if you want. If licensed you can carry pit, methergine, IV antibiotics, lydocaine,oxygen you can not attend VBAC2, twins, breech, must have consult for 42 weeks etc. If not licensed you can carry oxygen and attend anyone you want to including twins, breech and VBAC's. I will sit for the NARM for my CPm but am still unsure if I will personally license. Out of my local area of about 140,000 people over 60 miles and 9 midwives only two are licensed.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lms in Arizona, oxygen, pit,stuff for suturing, Rh immune , vit K, lab stuff/order typical labs, eye ointment, metabolic screening cards , glucose meter
I have carried iv setup and fluids, catheter , other oxytoxic meds.

Woops forgot to say no vbac, breeches, twins, some conditions require a consult like advance maternal age...quite a few things that should be protocols are spelled out in rule.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Illegal state...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
In Utah you can license if you want. If licensed you can carry pit, methergine, IV antibiotics, lydocaine,oxygen you can not attend VBAC2, twins, breech, must have consult for 42 weeks etc. If not licensed you can carry oxygen and attend anyone you want to including twins, breech and VBAC's. I will sit for the NARM for my CPm but am still unsure if I will personally license. Out of my local area of about 140,000 people over 60 miles and 9 midwives only two are licensed.
So are there benefits to licensing there? Ins reimb?

Thanks for your input
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else? Texas? SC? VA?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewDoula View Post
So are there benefits to licensing there? Ins reimb?

Thanks for your input
No reimbursement but you can legally carry meds that is the only real benefit. Otherwise it is a misdemeanor to get caught carrying.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM

I'm in PA and am a direct entry midwife. The laws here are weird, there is no licensing for direct entry midwives or CPM's. That may change in the next year or two, we'll see. All of the midwives here carry the appropriate meds, herbs, and oxygen if they can acquire them, and because there is no licensing, as long as you are not a CNM there are no restrictions on who can birth with you. Breeches, twins, and vbacs are all attended by homebirth midwives, there is no extra legal liability with them than there is with any other low risk pregnancy. No matter who we attend, we are just as unprotected legally, but also just as autonomous in being able to decide who we attend without the state interfering.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 PM

In Oregon, we are also have a voluntary license available, and this allows for reimbersment from accepting insurance as well as the ability to carry O2, meds, order labs.
If licensed, you are still allowed to attend VBAC, twins, breech, but the regulations surrounding the specifics on those clients are getting tighter. There is alot of changes taking place right this very moment around our rules and regs for licensed midwives.
If not licensed you are not placed under those restrictions, but are also not legal to carry the O2, pit, methergine, IV antibiotics, lidocaine, or bill insurance.

I am contemplating CPM through NARM right now as it is something I would like to follow through with for myself, but I will not license.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM

In VA, licensed midwives CANNOT legally carry drugs like pitocin (I assume most or all of them do carry it, regardless, for emergencies) or prescribe medication at all. It was a huge bummer, but to get the bill through legalizing HB midwives that was how it had to be. So far, to the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions regarding VBAC, breeches, and twins. An attempt was made in 2008, I believe, to enact such restrictions, but it was successfully fought off with a compromise about informed consent.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm border, so I can tell you about 2 states. Voluntary licensing in MN, no restrictions. VERY open rules and regs, quite easy to live with. Doesn't mean we aren't marginalized in every area but the Twin Cities, but we do practice pretty freely. ND is a gray state; midwives were mentioned in a law that was ages old, but got stricken from the law in the 1st Stage of an attempt to outlaw us. It failed spectacularly, but we still don't have any protection on the books. We are actively hated by some bigwigs in the medical community, but lots of legislators love us so midwives can practice pretty freely, if carefully (we even file birth certificates with no problems, and have a specific person assigned to take care of HB cert's in the dept). The main one (there are really only about 5 for the entire state), is very old school and doesn't carry anything but herbs, uses a pinard horn fetoscope, etc. All the rest carry varying degrees of equipment and meds. Note: 3 of the 5 that work in ND live in MN.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers! I truly appreciate it

User Tag List