Bleeding after vaginal exam? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a doula and my client is seeing a doctor. She got checked and she did mention that it hurt and was uncomfortable and that the doc was in a hurry too.... she bled for two days after, not pools of blood but it was bright red and very much "there", she had to wear pads. She did call the doc and nurse but they didn't seem concerned at all.... She is 37 weeks.

THX~

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
#2 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I haven't but it is common enough that it is considered "normal" I guess. Same thing can happen from sex. Is it possible that the doctor attempted to do a sweep on her? It is more common from that then just a VE I think.
#3 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bleeding after a vaginal exam is pretty normal. If it were my client, I would remind her that she does not have to consent to any vaginal exams and encourage her to decide for herself whether she wants them done.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 4 Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't call bleeding after vag exam 'normal' unless the exam was rough, or a sweep was done. Both of which are highly likely for a woman getting a needless VE at 37wks. Of course, the bleeding you describe may not be 'normal' IMO, but seems to be non-problematic anyway.

Definitely agree that informed consent is needed here. Maybe this mom would be happy to have VE, even knowing they are needless and do not provide any important information. But the choice should be hers, something she wants--NOT something done to her routinely and without consent.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page