Bradley teachers...can we talk? - Mothering Forums
Birth Professionals > Bradley teachers...can we talk?
birthpartner's Avatar birthpartner 01:47 PM 11-01-2010
About your thoughts about what's happening. I feel left in limbo right now.

homewithtwinsmama's Avatar homewithtwinsmama 05:41 AM 11-02-2010
Well it is a kind of limbo, but really we know what will happen, I think. There will be two groups. TBM of old and BR, the new reincarnation. How can their not be given how AAHCC has responded to every communication. BR will have updated and impressive materials, DVDs and interactive website and TBM will be what it is. A tech saavy and modern world will be more impressed with BR and its updated look and research standards. Anyone with the Google will be able to compare them side by side and the up to date method will appeal to the young tech saavy mamas of today. TBM will fade away, esp. after M&J are unable to keep going around the country training or (may God give them many years) they pass. I am saddened by the recent events, but hopeful for a re-energized and repackaged childbirth course that honors the amazing life and career of Dr. Bradley. It would take a huge and unexpected turn around the TBM for me to feel that the AAHCC is best suited to carry on his legacy for many years. The teachersurvey2010.blogspot.com posted something from Dr. B's daughters tonight. And anyone interested can take a look and read about the future plans of Bradley Reborn.
completebeginnings's Avatar completebeginnings 12:49 PM 11-02-2010
I am directly involved with this and so excited. I can't share anything for legal reasons. Best thing to do is keep up with the teachersurvey2010 blog. Everything will be exposed as we are legally able to. I do think it says something that the Bradley family wanted something posted on BR's blog.
jennybean0722's Avatar jennybean0722 10:37 PM 11-02-2010
Wow! This is exciting!!!! I took Bradley and believe in it, but the whole certification process just seemed wierd and a little outdated to me. I couldn't put my finger on it, as I'm not "in the loop" like you are. I'll keep up with the blog, I looked a month or so ago but haven't looked at it lately. Can't wait to see what his daughters wrote.

Smiles,
Jenny
lilylumos's Avatar lilylumos 12:16 PM 11-03-2010
I am watching this unfold too. I'm still a provie working on my final and I already know about how Jay can be, he's personally replied to me on the message board saying I was attacking them because I expressed frustration about the lack of communication - as in 2 unanswered emails and several calls and messages for weeks, on two different occasions. Before that happened I may not have believed some of these teachers who said they were kicked out for unfair reasons. It scared me!

It's come down to name calling and petty fights now, as I knew it would which is why I don't really comment much. Just watching and waiting and personally go with whoever can offer me more for my time and money...just as with any business.
journey1000miles's Avatar journey1000miles 04:54 PM 11-03-2010
I'm a Bradley teacher and Phoenix and I am sad to see how both sides are handling this issue. I'm keeping a wary eye on the whole thing.
Mama K's Avatar Mama K 07:15 PM 11-03-2010
Oh, my... What's going on? I'm supposed to go to a training seminar at the beginning of December... Should I lose my deposit and not go?
sweet.p's Avatar sweet.p 08:06 PM 11-03-2010
Just an outsider watching, finding it all fascinating.

I wonder if the new company will allow outsiders who did not have a "Bradley Birth" to now train to teach the method?

The whole thing reminds me of when wall street does a hostile takeover of a company. The folks starting Bradley Reborn wanted a amicable mergers and acquisition and offered a golden parachute for people now running Bradley Method company, they refused, and they are left with an out of date company.
mamasunflwr's Avatar mamasunflwr 08:26 PM 11-03-2010
I go back and forth, but I am feeling excited about the possibilities. BR makes me hopeful.
JessicaE's Avatar JessicaE 09:44 AM 11-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey1000miles View Post
I am sad to see how both sides are handling this issue. I'm keeping a wary eye on the whole thing.
Me too. I'm a former Bradley teacher and actually wrote a long message here a few days ago about my serious concerns about Bradley Reborn, not to be overshadowed by my long-standing, serious concerns about the AAHCC. Then decided not to post, given the zeal of the BR folks. But seriously, it's setting off some ethical alarm bells for me already (the video, the language used, the structure, the assertion that an online survey would have cost $150K [and I have 15 years experience in marketing/PR, no way that is accurate]). I would much rather have seen this be a non-profit venture with the leaders accountable to an elected board. This is essentially a corporate takeover, which in the cut-throat business world is perfectly acceptable, but I don't really think it's what's best for women, babies or birth. And I believe this was the intention from day one, given the speed with which all of this has unfolded.

I left TBM a few years back to join Lamaze and teach my own independent natural childbirth class. My classes are far more successful now, and I have a thriving birth business. So happy not to be directly embroiled in the current mess.
mamasunflwr's Avatar mamasunflwr 11:00 AM 11-04-2010
I've started seriously investigating all my options, Lamaze included. Change is necessary, but all this drama.... exhausting!
Catherine12's Avatar Catherine12 12:26 PM 11-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.p View Post
I wonder if the new company will allow outsiders who did not have a "Bradley Birth" to now train to teach the method?
It's not that people who haven't had a Bradley birth aren't allowed to train - just that people who have had a Bradley Birth are given preference. When I did my training, there was at least one mom who had not taken Bradley classes and had not had Bradley-type births.
birthpartner's Avatar birthpartner 06:12 PM 11-06-2010
JessicaE, you took the words right out of my mouth. When I first read all the stuff out there I thought it was odd that things were put in place that quickly. I have been teaching for 20 yrs and it is sad that things couldn't have been avoided. The back and forth is an everyday event now and I'm getting tired of it. I'm glad to know that some of you have switched over to other organizations successfully. I think sometimes we get so comfortable in what we are doing that change becomes something we fear. I have lots of issues with both sides and also lots of unknowns. The trademark issue is a big one for me. I think BR does not have the right to use the name and without the name they will not be what they are promoting themselves to be. AAHCC claims they will change and address issues but have not given any clear cut statements on what and when they will make the changes needed. So on the fence I sit until more is known about the bottom line.
April422's Avatar April422 08:35 PM 11-06-2010
After reading a post from the daughter in law of the couple who currently own Bradley that spells out everything in great detail I wouldn't want any involvement with BR. The guy is a bully plus so much more. What made him think he could just bully, threaten and lie and the origional owners would just belly-up?
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar homewithtwinsmama 07:50 PM 11-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.p View Post
Just an outsider watching, finding it all fascinating.

The whole thing reminds me of when wall street does a hostile takeover of a company. The folks starting Bradley Reborn wanted a amicable mergers and acquisition and offered a golden parachute for people now running Bradley Method company, they refused, and they are left with an out of date company.
Sweet pea, yes they will allow those who have not had a "Bradley Birth" (if you define it as having not used pain medication).

You description is spot on the way I see it.
homewithtwinsmama's Avatar homewithtwinsmama 07:55 PM 11-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by April422 View Post
After reading a post from the daughter in law of the couple who currently own Bradley that spells out everything in great detail I wouldn't want any involvement with BR. The guy is a bully plus so much more. What made him think he could just bully, threaten and lie and the origional owners would just belly-up?
April,

To be fair, the DIL has an agenda of her own. She has been very anti Hathaway all over the internet (on ICAN for instance) for years, acknowledged publicly that she planned to start her own childbirth method over the years, and has a husband who benefits financially from The Bradley Method, by virtue of being their (seemingly not very skilled in my opinion) webmaster for their site. I met with Jay and Marjie yesterday at TTW luncheon and while I am certain MDC doesn't want to host me saying all that was said, I will say that it was horribly disheartening and some of it offended me personally.
firedancer1212's Avatar firedancer1212 02:56 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by April422 View Post
Agreed with the PP. April, you're missing a lot of the back story. The DIL is action packed with issues and has been ranting and raving about her ILs for years on message boards all over the internet. She has zero credibility. Zero.

I'm no longer teaching Bradley but I am thrilled for this new movement.
April422's Avatar April422 05:16 PM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer1212 View Post
Agreed with the PP. April, you're missing a lot of the back story. The DIL is action packed with issues and has been ranting and raving about her ILs for years on message boards all over the internet. She has zero credibility. Zero.

I'm no longer teaching Bradley but I am thrilled for this new movement.
Oh I've read the back story. I've also read the other side.

I think the whole hostile takeover angle is shady and smarmy. They've given the Hathaways less than 2 months to respond to their demands. And I'm very aware that they aren't angels either.

I wouldn't recommend their program to anyone frankly.
SublimeBirthGirl's Avatar SublimeBirthGirl 09:54 AM 11-10-2010

I'm an ex-Bradley teacher.  I left for many reasons, including outdated information & materials and outright hostility from the AAHCC, not to mention a total and complete disregard for the valuable input of their teachers.  I have my own class now, that I wrote with other ex-Bradley teachers and does not use any Bradley materials (i really can't imagine why anyone would willingly teach out of Husband-Coached Childbirth if they didn't have to).  I do find the hostile takeover bit kind of shady, but I have to admit I get a little bit of smug satisfaction from watching this unfold.  It's been a long time coming that someone attempt to show the Hathaways what's what.  I'm amazed Bradley has survived as long as it has under their rule.

birthpartner's Avatar birthpartner 12:06 PM 11-16-2010

BR gets more impressive with each passing day. AAHCC seems to be trying to swim against the current. I noticed they added an ad on their website which has always been against their policies. The ad is for products which are probably not going to be supported by most of the teachers. Good grief, what next??

dkzmom's Avatar dkzmom 08:33 PM 12-01-2010

You are aware then, that the  Hathaways would not let their DIL become a Bradley teacher because she had c-sections instead of vaginal births?  I don't see a hostile takeover when teachers and others have been begging for years for the simplest updates in materials (a professional proofreader, maybe?).  Their new fb page doesn't allow you to post.  You have to email posts to a teacher and it gets approved by James Hathaway before it can be posted.  They have survived simply because of caring teachers.  Lamaze went through a similar takover, I understand, and now it's better too.  They are well into their 70s, and were offered a retirement package with profit sharing, speaking engagements, a dignified and honorable retirement.  Hey, I'd take it.

Up