AAMI Midwifery Skills Lab - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here attended the AAMI MSL? One is being held relatively close to me next year, and I would love to hear about people's experiences, how much you felt you learned, what was involved, etc. I am not interested in joining the program, but I want to have some basic skills under my belt before beginning an apprenticeship. Is it mostly lecture, or more hands-on training? Thanks!

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Yes, I organized and hosted one in WA State back in July. I love Carla and wanted to support she and AAMI.

The instructor was Kristi Zittle from Virgina Beach VA. We had 18 enrolled, I believe.

I did learn a few things. I went in with really high expectations. I came out understanding that I'm not really ever going to be the model of midwife AAMI graduates. It's funny because I totally surprised myself in finding this out about myself.

I believe our MSL was about 70% lecture and 30% hands on. Apparently if you want more experience, you need to sign up for the advanced MSL. You can't attend advanced before beginning. If you're someone who has been an active homebirth attendant, this might not be the best experience.

Still loads and loads of love and respect for Carla and those who are of that AAMI mind-set. I don't believe there is *one* kind of correct midwife but that there are so many women with so many different needs, we need *all* midwives.

I think everything we do/learn, is another stone in the path to midwifery.

Kendra Machen
#3 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM

I was truly blown away with the amount of info. provided on all aspects of birth/pregnancy where you "know" so much that you don't have to "do" much. Knowledge gives you confidence and I walked away trusting birth more than ever with so much info. to back it up. Yes, you practice suturing, estimating blood loss, venti-punctures, injections, BP, palpations, FHT, ect. However, the lecture and binder of notes she gives you is worth way more.

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#4 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 PM

I just got back from the AAMI Skillslab yesterday and highly recommend it! Completely worth the money.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#5 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies that have come in so far. From reviews of AAMI's skills labs that I had read elsewhere, my biggest concern was that the focus would be primarily on theory/philosophy rather than actual practice-and-learn core skills. How comfortable were you with performing the skills you learned when you walked out at the end?

Sorry to nag for details, but your first-hand experience is uber-valuable

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#6 of 13 Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM

There was a lot of hands on imo, since this was the first time for me doing these skills (except for palpation, fht, and unpregnant ve) I would feel comfortable performing them today - except for sutures, I will definitely need more practice with that.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#7 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 PM

I attended one as well. It was not exactly what I had originally expected, but I had recently been to the 2010 Trust Birth conference and met Kristi and Carla and I then had a much better idea of what I would find. I learned sooo much. It was so valuable. We did alot of hands on activities, many of the skills have already been listed by others. But we also did alot of learning ABOUT those skills and what leads to needing to know them, why you would use them, and why you would not.

It is an extreamly valuable weekend of information, knowledge and training, and the more we learn from as many different people as we can, the more well rounded we will be. I think all student midwives, and many "practicing" midwives, should attend one of these.

That being said, if you are just looking for physical hands on training, and you dont care to learn any more about using or not using them, there are other places you can get that. You have to come into this Lab with an open mind, open heart, and a willingness to listen and learn about women, birth, and midwifery.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#8 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 PM

I had the priviledge of working with Kristi Z. for a short time. I learned more in that time than I did in two years of intense midwifery training. I'd say any chance you get to learn from her jump on it!

#9 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM

I recently got back from the last skills lab that was held in Michigan. It was so amazing. I highly recommend it! It was absolutely worth every penny. I got to stay with the hostess and a few other gals (at no extra cost, amazingly) and I would sign up again any day just to hang out with them and exchange birth stories and experiences.  Really it is not that expensive when you think about all that you will be learning about, the great connections you can make, the big binder of information and resources, plus your food and lodging being included. 

I have been an apprentice for about a year and a half. I went in with pretty green, with some book knowledge, but few actual skills. The midwives I work with probably wished I would have had an opportunity to go to the skills lab before I started with them, but they took time away from their families and busy schedules to teach me a lot of "hands-on" skills.  So, I went into the skills lab thinking that I've had 1 1/2 years practice on some of these skills, and I came away thinking if there's another one being offered in the Midwest, I'm signing up! I thought it was pretty heavy on the skills practice, though Kristi did take the time to make sure we understood what we were doing and why, and in what scenarios it may be appropriate. I also recommend getting your hands on the Practical Skills Guide for Midwives; it has the skills laid out step by step, but doesn't tell you the why's or how's or when's involved in each skill. 

I really appreciated the TrustBirth perspective, as it's not one that I've had a lot of exposure to, and it's not one that you'll get from most books.

I feel very confident in performing most of the skills we learned, although I also learned that I don't think I'd want to suture anyone anytime soon, and I wouldn't be all that confident about doing a vaginal exam to determine baby's position based on suture lines, etc.

Ok, sorry to ramble on. I hope my experience with the skills lab helps you decide to jump on the opportunity!

#10 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 AM

I went to the same MSL as Kristina (Hi Kristina!!) and I had a wonderful time. I learned a ton! There is so much crammed into a few short days, so there isn't time to get really good at all the skills we practice, but I felt I had enough to then practice at home. Do you have the information packet for the MSL you are looking at attending? It has in it a long list of skills that are presented. We don't do all of them on real people at the beginning MSL, but Kristi has fake arms, fake bladders, etc. for practicing those skills on, so you'd still get some hands-on practice. Are you friends with (or have you "liked" I'm not sure which it is) the MSL page on facebook? There are pictures of several different MSLs there, and more than one person has been convinced by the pictures! Check them out. Overall, I had an amazing experience, learned a ton, and it was worth every penny and more. 

#11 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM

I hosted the one in Philly this year and had a great time!  There was some lecture about being a trust birth midwife, but lots of practice of skills etc.  I think it was $ well spent for me  :)  Good luck deciding!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#12 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM

I attended the basic msl taught by Kristi and absolutely loved it! I appreciate the focus throughout all of the class being that birth works, and it works best when we do all we can to support the mother, rather than "doing" things to her throughout her labor. The skills and knowledge were covered within the context of this understanding. I loved Kristi's style of teaching both in lecture and the hands-on skills. I have 8 children and listening to Kristi teach us about the wide-range of normal in labor and birth resonated so very much with me. The amount of information covered is enormous and we went home with a binderful that will be tremendously useful in our studies. Thank you, Kristi, Carla and all the beautiful ladies who have helped you learn what you're passing on to the generations of midwives to come. We desperately need midwives who know enough about birth to be comfortable keeping their "hands-offa, hands-outta and mouth-shutta".(Carla's quote) :- D

~Marie Gage

#13 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 PM

I enjoyed my MSL I did about 3 yrs ago with Kristi. Some of the skills I did need to practice more to feel able to do it on my own. but that is how i learn, i like review. i loved the teacher, the other students, and the notebook she gives is valuable.

Blessings!

Mama of 2 sons...1995: homebirth bf.gif 2003: homebirth with just my husband and I present, and lotus birth lotbirth.gif

Midwife   bellycast.gif  Herbalist  stillheart.gif  Placenta encapsulation provider placenta.gif    

Waldorf-certified early childhood teacher

namaste.gif  http://www.unfoldinglotus.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page