Midwifery Studies + College classes -input please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently working on an independent study approach to midwifery training & have the option to attend college classes this semester to help me in the process.

I plan on taking Anatomy & Medical Ethics but need at least 2 more classes. I already have a BA in Psychology, and minors in both Sociology & religious studies... I am currently working as a doula so if it could potentially benefit me there, I am open to that as well.

If you could take classes to assist you in your journey towards being the PERFECT midwife what would you choose/have chosen?

Momma to my pants pullin down, potty learnin, "Beeeeeg Boy" who now knows his, phonetically difficult for a toddler, name! Plus 2 dogs, 35 rats, & 5 or so bunnies
#2 of 7 Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

What about taking online classes through an accredited midwifery school?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 7 Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

A solid background in anatomy and physiology will serve you well.  Also, medical terminology, pharmacology, and microbiology would be useful.  I enjoyed my classes in nutrition, statistics, human development, and psych (which you have plenty of!).  But then, I believe that all school benefits you in some way, even small.  Enjoy your semester!  

#4 of 7 Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 PM

I strongly agree, my classes in A&P, med. terminology, microbiology and nutrition have proven very helpful to me already and I'm not too far in my studies!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#5 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Anatomy, Cellular biology, nutrition, business communications, and women studies. I really enjoyed my women studies courses and found them so helpful. I am similar to you a BS is psych but luckily I was prenursing so I got all of those type of classes done as well.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM

I am in A&P and developmental psych and one thing I can tell you is that I have zero time for midwifery studies or practice on top of family and school.  A&P alone eats up 20 hours a week.  I am regretting it a bit because I feel like it's setting me back a year on my midwifery studies.  I think a strong midwifery based A&P class through a midwifery school would have been much more useful.

#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

The reason I'm not taking classes through an online program is cost... I can get scholarships & loans for actual college classes... This university is really odd though... The only med. term class is for physical therapy/nursing students... I could take nutrition I guess...   I ended up signing up for Anatomy, chem 2, medical ethics, yoga, & group communication...  I am already 1 class from a minor in women's studies, but almost all our women's studies classes are women's history or lit...  Thank you all for your input... It helped a lot...  Oh & all our classes with a medical influence are closed to non med students... & the day I ever see this school offer a class on the placenta I'll get my fat tush up & do backflips lol.. Im jealous of those of you where that is an option!

Momma to my pants pullin down, potty learnin, "Beeeeeg Boy" who now knows his, phonetically difficult for a toddler, name! Plus 2 dogs, 35 rats, & 5 or so bunnies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page