Teaching classes in your home - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I am wondering how many of you teach childbirth education out of your homes, and how many rent a space (a yoga studio or something) to have classes. 

To those of you who have home classes: do you feel that it takes away from your professionalism to have them in your home?  Ever worry about safety issues with clients being in your house? Is the cost of renting a space the primary reason, or do you feel there are benefits to being in your home?

Those in rented spaces: What type of space do you rent, and how did you find it? 

To everyone: What lead you to your decision to rent a space or be in your home.

I am a newly certified childbirth educator trying to decide which to do. Thanks for your help.

#2 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 AM

I'm curious about this too.  I know that I could hold meetings in the office of someone I know who is supportive of homebirth/natural birth but it lacks the "coziness" of a home.  I prefer couches to chairs....carpet to tile....natural light opposed to florescent.  Plus, loading up my car with visuals or books is a hastle...lol

:)

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#3 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 PM

I did rent space, but the main reason I had the space was because I am also a massage therapist.  I have recently let it go though because I went back to school and can't dedicate myself to both work and school and something had to give.

As far as teaching from your home - you will definitely need to check with your homeowner's policy to see if they will cover you.  Many will not cover you, and if a client slips, falls, or whatever they can sue you and you will be out of luck.  Some insurance companies have riders for this type of thing.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#4 of 10 Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM

I teach in my home.

I started out teaching at my local rec center, they just wanted 20% of whatever I collected in fees, which was okay, but the tile floor didn't really work well.

I like being home but sometimes it's too easy for my kids to come in and disrupt, even if my husband is supposed to be watching them. He usually takes the to the park or runs errands but sometimes they're working on something in the yard and garage and then the kids come in and out.

It's nice not having to lug my stuff around, but I do have to pick up and vacuum so that's a trade-off but at least my family benefits from the cleanliness that day too :)

I haven't one anything about insurance (yet). 

One downside to teaching in my home is that my TV is really small and I can probably only fit about 4 couples in without being totally squished.

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#5 of 10 Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 AM

I teach at my home and I like it that way. I don't think it takes away my professionalism. I have my own room that is dedicated to that. It's a very comfy area, nice couches, carpet, chairs, birth balls, etc. I have posters on the wall of positions of baby, positions for mom in labor, things like that. I really like it this way and don't see myself ever renting out a area for it.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#6 of 10 Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies, and for helping me get a sense of what other cbe's are doing. I have a small apartment right now, so wouldn't be able to dedicate a room to teaching. However, I could have a number of families in the living room. 

#7 of 10 Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 AM

I don't know if this was mentioned, but you could also hold the classes in your client's home.  Offer a discount to the family who allows you to use their home kind of thing.  I have heard of other educators doing that.  I have never done it but have heard that those who do it love it.

636Jen likes this.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#8 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

That is a good idea. I never thought of that!

#9 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM

When I took my CBE classes, it was in the instructors home. It didn't take away at all, it was actually comfy.

I teach now, but use my husband's Chiropractic office. I have 3 crazy boys, a dog and a cat that all would be interrupting.

In my classes we do relaxation techniques each week, so need to be able to lay down on the floor to do this. I have tile throughout my house so that wouldn't work so well. Plus, I love that I don't have to clean each week for my classes.

Check out Chiropractor's offices, yoga studios, midwife offices, birthing centers.....etc...You'd be surprised who might let you use their space.

#10 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Since I teach primarily private classes, I usually teach in my clients' homes. I love it--very comfortable and "safe" for them. I would love to be able to teach in my own home, but we live 20 miles out of town and that makes it prohibitive. I have visions of putting up a separate little center on my land though! I get clients from a fairly large surrounding area and for those we meet in my small UU church in town, rather than my driving for 40 minutes to get to them, we each drive 20 minutes and meet in the middle. It isn't ideal because it has no furniture other than folding chairs and a piano, but I bring along pillows, blankets, and a birth ball and we make do with that setting.

Molly--mama to two sons (9/03 and 5/06), one tiny son forever in my heart (14w5d, 11/09), and one early m/c 2/10. Gave birth to my rainbow baby girl in 2011 and surprised to welcome another rainbow in October, 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page