Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone!  I haven't posted in awhile, but I do read and learn a lot from the midwives and doulas (and future midwives) on this board.  I have a couple of questions and was hoping for a bit of advice.

First, just to give you some idea of where I'm coming from: I'm a Labor and Delivery nurse in a major medical center.  I am also a student in a CNM program and will graduate in about a year and a half as a CNM and a WHNP.  As you might have guessed, I spend the majority of my time in very medicalized birth situations.  I still feel like I can make a difference, but there are so many things that frustrate me beyond words--I'm sure you can all imagine. 

I have a soon-to-be 4 year old DD, who was born at the aformentioned major medical center after a long, difficult Pit induction for pre-eclampsia.  She didn't tolerate the Pit too well and ended up with some scary strip issues along the way, ultimately leading to a vacuum delivery with her heart rate in the 60's for a lot longer than I care to think about.  She spent 4 days in the NICU and came home for 3 hours before being taken my ambulance to our Children's Hospital for sepsis (I was GBS positive and had IV antibiotics for 20 hours, yet she still ended up septic).  Other than developing a seizure disorder (which is now well-controlled), she is a happy, healthy, smart little girl.  I feel like I dodged a huge bullet and am so grateful for her.

After all those scary things, my DH and I had pretty much decided we were going to be grateful for our beautiful daughter and stop at one child.  But as time has passed, I am starting to really want another baby.  I'm 38 and DH is 41, so we need to do this soon.

Ok, so my questions.  I have heard mixed reviews on the Brewer Diet for preventing Pre-E.  I'm fearful that it will happen again and want to avoid induction at all costs (if I can).  Can anyone give me some advice on the diet, what you think about it and when during a pregnancy should it be started?  Also, are there are any other suggestions?

We're going to start TTC soon, so I thought I'd aks for advice!  Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Wife to Mike, Mom to DD 4, RN and Student Nurse-Midwife.  Expecting #2 on 11/27/2011.
#2 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 PM

Studies show that high protein diets are good in preventing pre-e, I havent done a ton of research into diet yet, so I am no expert (and look forward to hearing what experienced people say!) From everything I have read you want to start your diest several months prior to conceiving.

Good luck!!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 8 Old 12-31-2010, 04:28 AM

Hi protein diets help some mamas but not all to avoid/cure pre-e.  I've done research on various dietary theories of pre-e--and various studies have shown that calcium, omega 3 fatty acids and anti-oxidant vitamins all show promise.

I think the bottom line is, you need to have a really healthy diet, well balanced and specially suited to you, your constitution and lifestyle.  It would be well worth taking some time now to see a naturapath or chinese med practioner to get evaluated, and receive good info about eating for your particular type.

As a mw, however, the one thing that I've seen play a huge part in pregnancy health is stress.  Few women realize how much hard work pregnancy is, on every level of our being.  We are not raised to think of pregnancy and birth as big and important work that we do 24/7--and in this era, so many women work through their pregnancies and otherwise carry so much that they do not realize is impacting their essential strength and overall condition.  Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually.  While I've worked with dietary issues with moms who seem to be heading toward pre-e (or gestational diabetes, pre-term labor, etc), I have to say that working generally for a life more in balance, with less stress and work overall, has been the single most important helpful thing for the most mamas.  You need the right diet for you--and just as major is that you need the right amount of relaxation and play, sleep and downtime, healthy supportive community and relationships. 

good luck!  I say, first find a naturapath or other natural practitioner who can help you start now to discover your best diet.  When you get pregnant, find a homebirth mw to support the pregnancy.  Even if you choose an OB/hospital birth, the right midwife can be so much support in helping you stay properly tuned-up and confident as you go along.  I have played that role for some hospital birthers (and was then their doula for birth)--and seen how well it helps moms to have holistic, naturally based support and advocacy throughout their pregnancies, even after difficult prior pregnancies/births.

#4 of 8 Old 12-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!

I agree with the others,a really healthy diet is so important.  

I always tell women this:  Whole foods, no processed, none.  Plenty of protein, and be a grazer too...eat or nibble on  something every couple of hours.  Does not mean a big huge meal -but a snack.  Yogurt, nuts, cheese, fruit....

Organic foods as much as possible (avoid the toxic sprays added to foods in the fields...) real butter, olive oil, for the fats.

No fake sugars, use organic sea or Himalaya salt.  Watch for hidden salt-thus the reason to avoid processed foods. The processing of the salt-  removes about 60 minerals (the company makes more money selling the minerals than they do the salt-) your body needs those minerals to help with the sodium....so that regular table salt and the hidden salt does a number on your body-esp in pregnancy.

Plenty of water-stay hydrated, get lots of rest...

Cal and Mag for supplements.  

Sometimes some herbal teas may help a few people, but that is not done in place of the great diet!

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...
#5 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Great advice above!

Vitamin D is essential.  Check this out on the Vitamin D Council site.  I recommend that all my clients who aren't able to get enough sun, supplement with 5000 IUs of D3 in an oil base and then test in 3 months and adjust their dosage to get into the recommended blood levels.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!

oh yes,  Vit D-forgot to mention that-it is very important!!!  For those of us in the winter snowy areas with out much exposure to sun, very important!!

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...
#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM

You have gotten good replies, one thing that many overlook when looking at high protien diets is that you can not just increase protien you have to increase overall calories as well. Very important. LOTS of fish is very benificial to good nutrition, not just adding Omega-3 supplements.

The other thing I have to say about this is, study all you can about the truth in Pre-e. Many, I would even step out and say the majority, of women diagnosed and induced or sectioned for pre-e do not really have it. They often only exibit high blood pressure and that alone is not pre-e. True pre-e is actuallyl quite rare and as you learn more about it you will find that there are many difficult birth situations, and pre-term births that could have been avoided if that card wasn't played so fast.

I am in NO WAY saying this was what happened to you, I do not know you, or your medical history, story or anything, just pointing that out as a note on the topic.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#8 of 8 Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post

.... study all you can about the truth in Pre-e. Many, I would even step out and say the majority, of women diagnosed and induced or sectioned for pre-e do not really have it. They often only exibit high blood pressure and that alone is not pre-e. True pre-e is actuallyl quite rare and as you learn more about it you will find that there are many difficult birth situations, and pre-term births that could have been avoided if that card wasn't played so fast.

I am in NO WAY saying this was what happened to you, I do not know you, or your medical history, story or anything, just pointing that out as a note on the topic.

I totally agree, mamato3cherubs.  So many women are frightened into induction/csec because they 'might' have pre-e...and most just don't.  I'm glad you mentioned this along with increasing calories with the protein. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page