Your doppler and suggestions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello beautiful midwives!

I have one year of school left and I want to ask for a doppler this year for my birthday. Could you lovely ladies please tell me which brand you use, why you like it and any complaints about it?

I prefer one with a digital readout and waterproof probe since I LOVE waterbirth :)

Thanks so much ladies

#2 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I really love Huntleigh dopplers. The sound quality is really good and they are waterproof probes. The thing I don't like is that repairs are expensive and my daughter just broke mine. I am considering replacing it with a sonotrax since I mostly use a fetoscope anyhow and the sonotrax would be so much cheaper to buy then to repair my doppler. I have a nicolet elite as an extra that is at my office, but it isn't waterproof so I wouldn't take it to births with me.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 PM

I have an ebay doppler - it works great and is waterproof. 

My medasonic is easily broken, but has superior sound quality.  I've never seen a huntleigh without broken plastic.  The tria has a funny squeel that is just unacceptable. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 6 Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM

I bought a used Huntleigh in 2007 and it is still going strong (no broken plastic either)... at one point I thought it was dying and bought an Elite 100 but the Huntleigh lived on (apparently I had a batch of batteries that didn't last long).  I don't like the sound quality of the Elite as well as the Huntleigh so keep it as a spare.  I wasn't all that impressed with the Sonotrax so exchanged it for the used Huntleigh.

I'm curious about the DigiDop... backlit display and the probe attachs to the unit magnetically so no parts to get broken.  The sound is supposed to be really good but I haven't met anyone who has one.

#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM

Almost every Huntleigh I encountered as a student was broken, typcially where the probe attaches to the base, so I went for a Tria by Medasonics. I purchased a refurbished one and LOVE it. I love the sound, for me it's a far more pleasant sound quality than the Huntleigh which always seemed pretty staticy. I also love that the probe attached to the base by a magnet so there are no parts to break, no fussing to reattach it. And it's lavender!

#6 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I am going to look more into those and ask around to my local midwives too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page