Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Birth Professionals (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16938-birth-professionals/)
-   -   Need advice about becoming childbirth educator!!!! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16938-birth-professionals/1292403-need-advice-about-becoming-childbirth-educator.html)

Mama Lo 01-18-2011 03:11 PM

I have been going through the process of getting certified with The Bradley method for over a year now and keep procrastinating because my heart is not in it.  When pregnant with my first, my husband and I took Bradley classes and they were great.  
But the more conferences and workshops I attend and the more I learn, the more I feel a disconnect with the Bradley Method.  I want to teach more home birth type education. More instinctive birth, not 12 weeks of fighting the hospital machine.
I've just touched on looking into cert thru ICEA or ACBE and CAPPA, but I have NO idea if I were to pick on of these how I go about teaching after wards.  How do I get students with the the 'Bradley' name?  And how likely is it that I find work teaching outside of my home?  
I'm very confused, I want to teach, I'm just not sure the best way to accomplish it!  I would really really appreciate any advice, suggestions and experiences!

carrierwright 01-18-2011 04:11 PM

It's good to consider ALL of those things when making a choice. I've had the opportunity to attend  Bradley classes w/a few different instructors and they've made each class their own, so it was a viable choice for our homebirth education. If your heart is elsewhere but you also need some name recognition you may also want to investigate things like Birthing From Within or Hypnobirthing. Once you are certified and teach for a few years you may be able to create your own curriculum and draw from several methods. Good luck!

Mama Lo 01-20-2011 07:58 AM

bump

courtenay_e 01-22-2011 07:41 PM

I agree.  I used ALACE to train, and the nice thing about them at that point was that they trained you and then realized that you were intelligent enough and that they had given you the skills to discern the needs of the people in your area, and teach to those needs.  I have a very eclectic class, and I. Love. Teaching. It.  I wouldn't have been in love with it had I gone Bradley...because of the tight, tight reign they keep on the information you present (much of which is outdated).  My girlfriend taught some of the best Bradley classes in the area for years, and basically broke all their rules to do it.  I was glad that, though I had to work a little harder to get clients in the beginning, I could do my own thing, with up to date information, without fighting my certifying org. while I was doing it (or hiding from them...).

starrlamia 01-23-2011 12:40 PM

from what ive seen around my area, most childbirth educators have to establish a class and reputation to get students. Unless you volunteer you will have to treat it like a business and advertise etc.