CBE's - MORE HANDS ON!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've started teaching a new childbirth class for an already established childbirth centered class provider.  And I've been given room to move within the curriculum and bring some new ideas.  The class is information heavy.  And the class surveys are asking for more HANDS ON.  They want to DO more and learn more directly about how they are going to deal with this birth.

I have Birthing From Within experience and feel like I have alot to bring from that perspective (and will be bringing some of it).  But I want to be careful not to bring too much.  I'm madly in love with BFW but that is not the class this group has signed up for.  :)

In your standard Childbirth Ed class what are you doing with your classes that is "hands on", "making them think" and instead of talking at them, what are you doing to help them discover their birthing capabilities?

Thanks!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Thinking :) I will think and then repost my reply .

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Here is some of what I do: 

• When discussing changes in pregnancy I will sometimes separate them into partners on one side and moms on the other.  I have each group write down a list of discomforts and/or changes.  It is often funny hearing the men (or partners, but in my classes it is almost always men) share what they have "heard" her talk about or what they "noticed" and then hearing what the women actually perceive as changes.

Will share more later - my baby needs me :)

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM

I teach Birthing from Within style classes as well, and I think you will do well to incorporate some basic birth art. I was really hesitant about the artsy stuff when I first started teaching as I am a much, much more linear type of person but I am always astonished at what comes out of those exercises, even with quiet groups. We generally do "image of birth" and then that other one..."fantasy of birth." I did fantasy of birth last round the night we talked about interventions and I think it was really perfect because it was a nice, relaxing exercise after a sort of stressful topic.

I'll think of more...have to get ready to go teach in a minute!

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Another thing that I do is have photos of "real" birth - meaning photos from my births and at the beginning of class while we are waiting for everyone to come (I teach in a hospital and many times people are late) I share the photos and allow the couple to look at them and discuss what they think is happening in the photo.  They talk about what is happen, what the people might be thinking, what feelings the photo brings to them....after a short while and when everyone has had the chance to look at them all I put a slide up on the powerpoint with all the photos on it, but smaller and I allow each person to pick a picture and share whatever they want about it.  Some might say what they think is happening.  Some might say how it makes them feel.  Some might have questions that then opens up to discussion.

Overall this has been my most popular activity ever (I have been teaching since 2003).  What I have heard from alot of my students is what they really like is that it is me - so it is really, real and isn't just a photo of someone they don't know, but instead photos of the person standing in front of them.  

I also like this one because it opens them up to thinking about birth and about talking and getting to know one another because many times when one says something about a photo then others chime in (just an fyi - none of the photos are graphic - I have covered my breasts and vagina, but they see the faces I am making, the way my husband is helping me move or how I am holding onto him, how my doulas are helping me get into a different position, etc).  

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I've taught BFW (my own classes).  I had just started and had run a couple of series, both of which were amazing!  I also found that parents REALLy enjoyed birth art and all the other emotional and spiritual prep BFW includes - and even the Dads - and even the SERIOUS Dads that were financial planners and such.  :)  So I am very comfortable with birth art.  I might try sliding a birth art session in to this series but I'll have to evaluate as I plan and experience the series.  Do I dare do "Tigers" with them?  

"Image of Birth" might be neat to do along side "Birth Culture/Birth Today".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV View Post

I teach Birthing from Within style classes as well, and I think you will do well to incorporate some basic birth art. I was really hesitant about the artsy stuff when I first started teaching as I am a much, much more linear type of person but I am always astonished at what comes out of those exercises, even with quiet groups. We generally do "image of birth" and then that other one..."fantasy of birth." I did fantasy of birth last round the night we talked about interventions and I think it was really perfect because it was a nice, relaxing exercise after a sort of stressful topic.

I'll think of more...have to get ready to go teach in a minute!

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto9kidlets View Post

Another thing that I do is have photos of "real" birth - meaning photos from my births and at the beginning of class while we are waiting for everyone to come (I teach in a hospital and many times people are late) I share the photos and allow the couple to look at them and discuss what they think is happening in the photo.  They talk about what is happen, what the people might be thinking, what feelings the photo brings to them....after a short while and when everyone has had the chance to look at them all I put a slide up on the powerpoint with all the photos on it, but smaller and I allow each person to pick a picture and share whatever they want about it.  Some might say what they think is happening.  Some might say how it makes them feel.  Some might have questions that then opens up to discussion.

Overall this has been my most popular activity ever (I have been teaching since 2003).  What I have heard from alot of my students is what they really like is that it is me - so it is really, real and isn't just a photo of someone they don't know, but instead photos of the person standing in front of them.  

I also like this one because it opens them up to thinking about birth and about talking and getting to know one another because many times when one says something about a photo then others chime in (just an fyi - none of the photos are graphic - I have covered my breasts and vagina, but they see the faces I am making, the way my husband is helping me move or how I am holding onto him, how my doulas are helping me get into a different position, etc).  

Love this idea!!  I have a lot of really beautiful inspiring birth pics of clients and myself.....if I could get client permission I could put together a really neat slideshow and we could have a deep discussion - maybe along side a "progress of labor" discussion.

User Tag List