Doula for homebirths? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Doula friends!

Ever since becoming certified, I haven't been asked to attend a homebirth. I've only been a doula for a little over 2 years, still gaining experience. But 20 out of the 23 births I have done to date have been in hospitals,  and the three homebirths I got to be a part of were witnessed before even considering becoming a doula!

I am DYING to attend another homebirth as a doula, just so then I can see what differences there are in caring for a woman who chooses home. Any ideas on how to get homebirth clients? I am currently a part of my birth network, doula match.net, Operation Special Delivery, I have a website, etc. I'm trying to make inroads with two prominent midwives in our community.

Is there anything else I could do that would make me stand out for homebirth couples? In Santa Cruz County, we are teeming with midwives, but I'm unsure of how often the homebirth option is used. It's much more often seen in San Jose I think and I can travel to both places to provide doula care.

I'd love any advice I can get on this! I really really want to see another homebirth and get to doula one!

#2 of 2 Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately in our society homebirths make up a very very small percentage of births, so it isnt surprising that you have had more hospital births. Maybe you can talk to the local midwives to get an idea of how many homebirths they do?

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Tags
Doulas , Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page