Help please :) (heart condition & vaginal birth) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working with a client right now who just learned that she has a short circuit in her heart. Generally what happens (actually it only happened to her one time) is that her heart starts to beat very fast, she gets short of breath with chest pain etc...

Originally her OB had said that a natural vaginal birth as planned would still be ok, but has recently changed her mind and told my client that she may need to have an elective C-section. I'd like to be able to provide her with more information, and of course I will support her either way. Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? Does anyone know of any good resources where I could find information about birthing with a heart condition?

Thanks!

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

#2 of 3 Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 PM

She could request a work up with a cardiologist if she has not already had one.  It would be important to know whether her heart is structurally sound and functioning properly no matter which route her birth is.  A surgical birth is not automatically easier on the cardiovascular system and in her shoes I'd want to know for certain that is was truly indicated.

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#3 of 3 Old 05-21-2011, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! She did see one and he gave her the thumbs up for a vaginal birth. Yay! :)

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page