Birthwise Midwifery School in Maine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone attended here or know someone who has? Im seriously considering moving out of country for training if I dont get in this year, Birthwise is the one Im looking at and am just looking for anyone who has attended.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#2 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Also looking at Birthwise.. I live in AZ, so the flights would be killer, but it seems to be the only program that fits me. I'm doing Midwife-To-Be right now, but I feel so secluded from other students and I desperately need the clinical work that just isn't available around here right now.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#3 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

that would be a long flight! Id be moving to portland if I go there... no way I can commute from Ontario!

#4 of 9 Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM

I've visited Birthwise and am quite impressed; I also spoke with a student who is in her preceptorship and really feels well prepared and happy with the school so far. I'm seriously considering moving to Maine so I can do the on-campus program. It isn't all that long really, and I like that you start doing light clinical work your first year in rotations. They do have Canadian students, but I'm not sure about the particulars of the bridge program for you to be able to practice in your province; I'd check that out first if you haven't and are planning to move back to practice. Good luck and maybe we'll meet there! :)

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#5 of 9 Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

ooh yes I have looked into the bridging programs so its all good. Im glad to hear such positive things about it! It seems like a really good place, I would love to visit there but it just isnt in the budget right now.

Are you applying for sept 2012?

#6 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 PM

i'm thinking of applying to 2012 i was also looking for others who have gone there.

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#7 of 9 Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

in my search I have heard nothing but good things about the school, they only complaint I heard was having a hard time finding a preceptor but I think the person may not have been willing to travel or move.

I wont be applying now, my bf has decided that he would rather not move :S So now im looking at distance ed options.

#8 of 9 Old 11-29-2011, 03:22 PM

from what i've read they find a Receptor for you. that is part of the program. they also have a distance program as well. yeah i haven't even talked to my BF about it yet but this has been my dream since i was 14 so right now nothing is going to stand in my way

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#9 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM

So bummed that I missed this thread last month!  I have been looking into Birthwise as well, specifically their community program.  I live in the Boston area, so it would be about a 2 hour commute.  They are holding a doula workshop at the end of February, I actually just sent a registration request.  Is anyone planning on attending that?  Would love to hear from you if you are!  

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page