waters broke last night but not in pain and no contractions - is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend has asked me for advice as her waters broke last night (Thurs) but she still has no pain and no contractions. She went to the hospital, but they sent her home and she just doesn;t know what to do, is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM

I'm surprised they sent her home with no instructions of when to come back. I had the same situation: water broke, no contractions yet. My midwives had me stay home for several hours, then I went in for a checkup and checked into the hospital (right down the hall from the midwives/doctor's office). They were concerned about the possibility of an infection because my waters had broken. We delayed almost another day before finally inducing labor. Water broke Friday 9am; checked into hospital 5pm, induced labor Saturday 3pm. I may have been given IV antibiotics in the interim. (Probably varying opinions on whether antibiotics were needed.)

That baby is about to turn 13 so I may not remember all the details LOL!

#3 of 5 Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM

most women will go into labour within 24 hours of SROM, most of the rest within 72 hours. Tell her to not take any baths or introduce anything into the vagina, keep an eye out for infection symptoms (fever, pain etc) and just relax and wait!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#4 of 5 Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 PM

My water broke 3 days before our last babe was born, and I too had no contractions. (Personally, I think it broke because I was nice and loose from the chiropractor earlier that day.) I checked my temp often, listened to hearttones, and stayed home with no internals. Everything was fine but I decided to drink castor oil after the 3 days. Guess my body was ready because contractions started 2 hrs after that first sip, and she was born less than 6 hrs after the first contraction! 

daughter. wife. mama. sister. friend. dready heady. tea drinker. food preservationist. seamstress. reader. dreamer. leader. natural birther. lactivist. family bedsharer. baby wearer. birth nerd.

married to my best friend, with 2 toddlers & a newbie in september 2012.

#5 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all for your valued replies - I passed them all over to her.

I am happy to announce the birth of Alexander James - 8lb 4oz. They admitted her in the end and brought the labour on and it was a very tough birth. Mother and baby doing well now.

Thanks again.

User Tag List