Are Obstetricians considered "Birth Professionals"--I don't see a forum here! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Birth trauma is a serious issue, depending on which studies you look at it can affect 1.5%-7% of women and some of those women also develop PTSD. Are some people unneccessarily angry? yeah but are there also women who are actually traumatized? absolutely, and they need support, which is what is great about these forums.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obdoc View Post

I really think the only birth choice supported here is HOME birth---any woman who CHOOSES to see an OB is ridiculed and it is implied she is not intelligent enough to make a good decision!

I have not read most of the thread.

I would value the input of OB's - but not one who seems to have a chip on her shoulder, as you seem to.  

#33 of 42 Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well  ---I did respect the right of the mom with the breech to choose---she chose not to have a ECV or a vaginal breech--so had her C. Section.

I did respect the right of the mom who decided she didn't want to VBAC--and she got a C. Section.

My frustration  is that I could do nothing to avoid these C. Sections- both were great candidates for successful vaginal birth---yet these mothers by THEIR choice--not some interventionalist eager to get to tee time--will become "statistics" pointing a blaming finger at obstetricians---two more "unnecessarians".  We are in a no-win.   If I respect their right to choose, I am contributing to the very issue that has ignited this site.

My only hope to keep the C. Section rate low, in my practice, is to continue to be non-meddlesome with the very first pregnancy--to discourage inductions and let moms know this is my philosophy right from the get-go.  To let them eat and drink to keep their energy up---to encourage walking, position changes, --to not set a finite time limit on second stage--especially if she has an epidural (her choice), and has no push sensation-I have sat and knitted quietly for 9 hours just waiting patiently for the urge to push to kick in and let the baby "ride down", let the father deliver the baby, keep baby with mom and stay and help with her breast feeding since not many nurses have any experience with this.

All the non-intervention stuff is things I have been doing for 25 years----"Get that Buck Rogers electronics off her belly--and get her out of bed"

I am not telling anybody how to feel--I simply asked whether it is possible that one can make PTSD worse if  one keeps having the fire stoked, and while I appreciate it is healthy to vent and talk--I do see many women here who are SO angry after so many years--and my personal experience with anger is that it is not healthy for the person feeling it.  I am not for one second saying that their experience isn't valid--I was very upset with my C. Section ---  but I am only asking a question---is anger something that should be fueled--as opposed to acknowledged and validated while while trying to process and assimilate and heal.  

No chip here.  Just attempt at bridging the gap.

#34 of 42 Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obdoc View Post

I really think the only birth choice supported here is HOME birth---any woman who CHOOSES to see an OB is ridiculed and it is implied she is not intelligent enough to make a good decision!

Thank you for support----I think only hope of change is with COMMUNICATION---not happening here so far!

As one woman who had 2 fine hospital births, with 2 different OBs, and a long time member of MDC, I can say that you would be very wrong about "any woman that chooses hospital birth." I also lobbied extensively for midwife attended home birth to become legal in my state. And it was by the time I had my second child and I still chose a regular hospital birth.

When you open a thread with comments like the above, you really cut yourself off from communication. There are several MDs who have posted in the working mothers forum of this site. We've been communicating just fine, thank you.

I dare say that MOST of the people on this site are having hospital births But there isn't a need to host that kind a foru here for reasons that have already been pointed out.

MDC is a site that welcomes women, but perhaps you need to a read a bit more before, and in other forums before you decide that communication is not happening here so far.

I was grateful for the information I received about what questions to ask an OB, what choices I actually had in the hospital (DH got rid of the first l&D nurse we had) and what I could do to have as natural a brith as possible.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#35 of 42 Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

MDC is a site that welcomes women, but perhaps you need to a read a bit more before, and in other forums before you decide that communication is not happening here so far.

Agreed. We have several members who are OBs, RNs, and/or work in a hospital setting with women and babies that post throughout the board. The forum guidelines here clearly welcome all professionals:
Quote:
Welcome to the Birth Professionals Forum: A gathering place for those involved with maternal care/birth work to share professional experiences, evidence-based protocols, educational concerns and birth-related research analysis and more. The Birth Professionals Forum was designed to be a resource for birth professionals and those interested in the birth-related professions to discuss issues that are pertinent to their livelihoods and various career paths.

As others have suggested, a discussion about the character of the MDC forum really doesn't fit here; but if you wish to speak about a professional experience or recent research, this would be the place!
ian'smommaya likes this.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#36 of 42 Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM

I'd just like to say to the OP, you are the exception to the "rule" about OBs.  Once you are known around here for that, it will be much applauded.  Many women want and OB and that's great if it's one like you're describing you are.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#37 of 42 Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM

I'll even put Ina plug and say that I had a really good OB for my first birth. She was very hands-off - knew me as a person, respected my wishes and was my advocate at the hospital. Sadly, she had to leave OB due to insurance rates. I was into my second trimester with my second before I found someone. I finally went in to talk to her just for recs. again. She was great. She had the scoop on the one MD who did home births in our state, talked about her nurse colleagues who birthed at home in their tubs and told me what hospitals to stay away from due to their policies.

My second OB was not as good, but her involvement was mercifully limited. I showed up fully dilated and in transition and delivered with 2 nurses on the bathroom floor at hosp.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#38 of 42 Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 AM

OB doc - I hope you stick around.  I think it's good to have a natural mind set- as long as people recognize that in some cases, OBs, hospitals, and other medical interventon are occasionally needed to bring babies safely into the world.  I've had two beautiful water births in a free standing birth center, and one hospital birth, chosen for medical reasons.  In each experience, there were upsides and dowsides.  I can say, however, that I carefull chose my providers during my hospital experience and did quite a lot of research before making my choice.  I ended up with a good experience, as far as hospitals go.  My OB was kind and respectful.  This time around, her schedule was full so I'm delivering with one of her co-workers, who so far I like very much. 

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#39 of 42 Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
any woman who CHOOSES to see an OB is ridiculed and it is implied she is not intelligent enough to make a good decision!

While woman should certainly choose what they feel most comfortable with, what I've seen is that because of the way the systems end up working, women seeing an OB end up with shorter appointments, less appointments and a lower quality of care. For example, in our practice we see moms at 1 day and 3 days postpartum, then 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks. Moms here that see an OB have their baby and then have one postpartum visit at six weeks.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#40 of 42 Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Since moms are in the hospital, I will see them while they are there---I will pop in every time I am on the floor---and have spent many an wee hours of the morning helping a mother with nursing while I wait for a woman to deliver----and I see them at 3 weeks for contraception--since 6 weeks is too long.  They may have to come in after a week to check blood count.   They get a phone call at one week otherwise to see how they are doing and they are free to come and see me any time they want.  Most of my drug addicts don't show up at all and have no working phone numbers!

Unfortunately----I have to work for several months just to pay for malpractice insurance---and health insurance for myself and staff---it just isn't possible for me.  Although I DID drive one of my pregnant mothers several miles to pick up a prescription today --- took me an hour--but her husband was working and she had no car---and we have no buses--and I have driven out to homes to see patients---but they tend to be my terminally ill women, who just can't get off their death bed to drive in.

madis81 likes this.
#41 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Just another obstetrician mama who happened upon this thread. 

Obdoc, I get it.  I agree that there is a need for physicians who would like to be able to offer natural-minded, woman-centered choices to her patients to have a space and support for ways in which to bring that into a medical setting, helping to reconcile some of the conflict between our personal values and how we treat our patients.

I work in an academic setting and I think my residents thought I was crazy when I stayed in the room to labor one of my private patients, who had a prior c/s elsewhere for arrest of descent in the second stage, chose to labor without an epidural and proceeded to push for 3.5 hours to deliver a healthy, baby girl.

Happy to support you in any way I can.

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#42 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrible View Post

Just another obstetrician mama who happened upon this thread. 

Obdoc, I get it.  I agree that there is a need for physicians who would like to be able to offer natural-minded, woman-centered choices to her patients to have a space and support for ways in which to bring that into a medical setting, helping to reconcile some of the conflict between our personal values and how we treat our patients.

I work in an academic setting and I think my residents thought I was crazy when I stayed in the room to labor one of my private patients, who had a prior c/s elsewhere for arrest of descent in the second stage, chose to labor without an epidural and proceeded to push for 3.5 hours to deliver a healthy, baby girl.

Happy to support you in any way I can.

Thanks  rrible.

I have been looked at as crazy too for massaging a woman`s back or for helping her to the shower--or baking bread while they are in labor so we`ll have nothing nice to eat--while they are laboring.  We have an oven on the labor floor---yum-----so pancakes after a delivery are always welcomed!!  

I have waited on L&D for 18 hours for a VBAC to deliver on a Saturday---and 9 hours for urge to push to kick in with an epidural.  I always make sure my new mother is cleaned up, clean clothes and a drink in her hand before I leave the labor floor--I did nursing first--and it is ingrained---take care of the mother!!  Nice to meet someone of like mind!  Glad to hear you are doing VBACs too!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page