Teaching CBE as a doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! So I'm hoping to register for doula training with CBI this month! I'm so excited! Lots of exclamations! Haha. Anyways, I would also like to teach childbirth education and I was wondering if anyone teaches with just a doula certification. I'm on a budget so I can't afford the cbe training yet. I'm also a registered yoga teacher so I have skills for teaching a group, and the only difference between the CBI doula and CBE training is teaching skills. What do you think? Anyone here teach cbe as a doula?

-mariah
#2 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 AM

i'm not a doula but i know several who teach childbirth education classes and i don't think they have taken any sort of certification to teach them. i think it's fine.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

No one says you have to be certified with anyone to offer CBE, or even doula services for that matter. :) As a doula, you should have a wide scope of knowledge to share with parents, and creating your own classes might help you realize gaps in your knowledge and help you fill them. I say if it's something you want to offer, go for it! 

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thankyou both! I think I'll go for it. I'm just excited about signing up for doula training soon smile.gif
#5 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM

I'm training to become a birth doula also! (through DONA).

Its my plan that once I become cert; I plan on offering childbirth classes in both private and group settings. I also plan on teaching childbirth classes for children in both private and group settings. It is my hope to be able to create a support network for every mother and her family so that once I'm out of her life she will have back-up supports. Even though I'm not a childbirth educator I can still offer my services.

I'm happy you've chosen to take this route also.

I want my job as a doula to support my family, so offering classes in the daytime or at night is an excellent income supplement!

I should mention that I currently have two other doulas who I will be working with in this aspect of our career.

We will just be splitting the overall additional income from these classes.)

They are also my back-up call-ins if a birth is unusually long. I'm hoping over time to be able to have a rapport with all the doulas in my city, but the two doula's I do know are starting up this fall also so they are my inital contacts.

I hope these open a couple ideas for you!

#6 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Oh, also at your classes that you offer... If there is something you do not know the answer to, you can have a mini-whiteboard with you in class, and you can write down the questions to be discussed at the next class. I'm a CEA (education assistant) and this is a technique I've noticed teachers use.. Some call it the hover-board).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page