IBCLE certification...calling all LC's - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering starting the training to become a certified lactation consultant and I want to hear from other mom's who have done pathway 3 (in other words, those who weren't already RN's, or other HCP's). I have three children ages 7 and under and I'm a home school mom, so I have a pretty full plate. Becoming an LC is something I've wanted to do for years and my husband recently encouraged me to basically get off the fence about the stuff I'm interested in and start pursuing it. :-) He works from home and is supportive, and we're in a place where we can afford it financially right now, but might not be able to down the road...so it's sort of a "now or not for a long time" type situation.

Like I said, I'm just curious to hear the experiences of other moms who have basically gone back to school (though most of the coursework can be done online now - I'll most likely do the bulk of it through Lactation Education Resources and then some through the distance learning programs at local colleges - for general ed) and followed the program to certification and beyond. Are you working as an LC? Do you work out of a hospital, through a community program like WIC or just with private clients? Was the amount of hours in training worth it?

Really curious to hear your stories...
Thanks!
-elle

#2 of 3 Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow, it's been a loooong time since I last posted.  I think it was before I became an IBCLC, which means over a year ago.

So, I forget which number pathway I did, but it was the one that was a program specific to becoming an IBCLC through a distance learning course at UC San Diego.  The program included course work and provided internship locations.  Do not do any program that does not provide internship locations because it is very difficult to find them on your own.  I found that out the hard way when I did a different program prior to the UCSD program.  The course is time consuming, so make sure you have the time to do it.  You'll do about 40 hours of internship per month, plus hours and hours every week of reading, watching lectures, and homework.

As per the IBLCE (www.iblce.org), you will need some college courses and some health care related courses prior to beginning the IBCLC course.  UCSD provides some of them though distance learning.

Was it worth it?  Well, not yet.  I'm in private practice, and I have not had much business.  I have a website that doesn't get much traffic.  I think I need to do Google Ad Words or something like that.  I just paid for some print advertising, so I hope it will pick up.  If you want to work in a hospital, they will almost certainly want you to also be an RN.  You can call local hospitals and ask them.  WIC will hire you as an LC w/o the RN, though.  If you don't speak Spanish, it may be helpful to take the Spanish for LC's course that I see offered once or twice a year.  HTH

#3 of 3 Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128 View Post

Wow, it's been a loooong time since I last posted.  I think it was before I became an IBCLC, which means over a year ago.

So, I forget which number pathway I did, but it was the one that was a program specific to becoming an IBCLC through a distance learning course at UC San Diego.  The program included course work and provided internship locations.  Do not do any program that does not provide internship locations because it is very difficult to find them on your own.  I found that out the hard way when I did a different program prior to the UCSD program.  The course is time consuming, so make sure you have the time to do it.  You'll do about 40 hours of internship per month, plus hours and hours every week of reading, watching lectures, and homework.

As per the IBLCE (www.iblce.org), you will need some college courses and some health care related courses prior to beginning the IBCLC course.  UCSD provides some of them though distance learning.

Was it worth it?  Well, not yet.  I'm in private practice, and I have not had much business.  I have a website that doesn't get much traffic.  I think I need to do Google Ad Words or something like that.  I just paid for some print advertising, so I hope it will pick up.  If you want to work in a hospital, they will almost certainly want you to also be an RN.  You can call local hospitals and ask them.  WIC will hire you as an LC w/o the RN, though.  If you don't speak Spanish, it may be helpful to take the Spanish for LC's course that I see offered once or twice a year.  HTH
So helpful! Thank you for de-lurking to share your experience! smile.gif
Did you by any chance go through the LER program before going to UCSD? :/ that's what I'm looking into at the moment...
I haven't found a local program that will provide internship locations. I am in CA, SF bay area.

Your post, again, super helpful. Thank you! Also note to self, I need to learn Spanish. ;-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page