• 1 Post By phathui5
  • 3 Post By MidwifeErika
  • 2 Post By shannonc
  • 3 Post By courtenay_e

#1 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just wondering. i'm starting MW school in a month and my graduation coincides with when we're planning on having our next baby (3 years), do (homebirth) midwives hire other midwives to attend their births or do they have unassisted homebirths? 

kind of unrelated- but do Doctors have doctors? I can imagine OB's most likely have another OB attending their births in the hospital because the use of equipment and the standard protocols kind of call for that- but with homebirth - educated women who aren't midwives have unassisted births successfully all the time with only their husbands and maybe a doula or photographer around- What do midwives do? 

#2 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
All the midwives I know, myself included, have had a midwife or obstetrician. Some have had homebirths and some hospital births (in Australia the system is quite different) but I don't personally know any midwives who have had a planned UC.

My reason was that I didn't want to be my own midwife. I wanted to focus on me and the baby and have someone else to do the monitoring for me :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

In an emergency, especially one that affects the mother like shock and blood loss, she limited how much she can treat herself. Even without problems, it can be better to focus only on the experience and doing the birth not the monitoring and support. Most midwives I've spoken to are rather wary of UC because they have seen what can occasionally go wrong and have concerns about chancing it without trained help. A few choose UC but most have another MW.

#4 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have always hired a midwife to attend my births. The other midwives I know have had attended home births.

courtenay_e likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 14 Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely I hired another midwife to attend me in labor. I really didn't care so much about the prenatal care aspect as that was all stuff that I could easily do to myself, but I really cared about the birth. I didn't want to try to assess fht or my own blood loss while also being in labor. I hired someone who I had attended births with for a few years and knew she had a style that I liked.
phathui5, CortLong and courtenay_e like this.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM

I wonder if brain surgeons hire other brain surgeons or if they set up mirrors and DIY it?
ananas and silversparrow like this.
#7 of 14 Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know of one midwife in our large midwifery community in our state who has had a UC. We KNOW that when the crap hits the fan, having another set of not related to the mom and baby hands to hold a uterus, administer herbs/pit, or resuscitate a baby is essential. Honestly, most of the time a good midwife is only needed to sit in the corner and knit. But that 2% of the time when something is not physiologically normal, having an experienced set of hands there is really essential. As birth professionals we have seen enough stuff to add grey hairs that we just really don't take chances like that with our own families. In MY community, anyway. On top of which... we are all really like sisters. Honestly, babies born...they are like quiet sleep overs with a dozen knitting midwives waiting quietly to welcome a new life into our midwife family. <3

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 AM

I am a midwife and have had midwives attend my births.
#9 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I don't know of one midwife in our large midwifery community in our state who has had a UC. We KNOW that when the crap hits the fan, having another set of not related to the mom and baby hands to hold a uterus, administer herbs/pit, or resuscitate a baby is essential. Honestly, most of the time a good midwife is only needed to sit in the corner and knit. But that 2% of the time when something is not physiologically normal, having an experienced set of hands there is really essential. As birth professionals we have seen enough stuff to add grey hairs that we just really don't take chances like that with our own families. In MY community, anyway. On top of which... we are all really like sisters. Honestly, babies born...they are like quiet sleep overs with a dozen knitting midwives waiting quietly to welcome a new life into our midwife family. <3
That sounds lovely.
#10 of 14 Old 06-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I know the midwife who caught my son had the other midwives in her practice attend her birth.

And although you might expect a doctor to have another doctor attend their birth, I've heard of several who have had midwives attend them, at the hospital or at home, precisely BECAUSE they are doctors, and know what happens when doctors attend births. My best friend is an internal medicine doc, and she told me a long time ago she plans to show up at the hospital pushing because she doesn't want to mess with hospital protocols!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#11 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Just a friendly reminder that this forum is for birth professionals to talk with other birth professionals about their professions. If you are not a birth professional, please refrain from commenting.
Thank you,
Pokey

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#12 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 AM

I am a midwife and would never consider UC. I was a midwife student and had a midwife attend my homebirth. When I am ready for another, I will do the same and likely do the prenatals too. I don't want to be my own midwife and my husband wants to be part of the process with me. I want my midwife to take care of the details so I can focus on the emotional aspect of being a mom and family together.
#13 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 AM

I needed that support of other midwives. While I was a bit of a challenging client: told my midwife when I wanted her to release my waters, did my own VEs, did my own newborn exam and vit K shot, and wanted support early in labour. I really needed my midwives there with me. I find labour hard and quite painful. I didn't want to be alone. I wanted my woman coven around me. Also, having had had a very bad PPH in my first labour (normal, no augmentation, just one of those things), I really needed someone there who could help should things go south again. It was hard on my midwives though as I am their practice partner and they both cried in the kitchen when it was done with sheer relief and emotion.
#14 of 14 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
We KNOW that when the crap hits the fan, having another set of not related to the mom and baby hands to hold a uterus, administer herbs/pit, or resuscitate a baby is essential. Honestly, most of the time a good midwife is only needed to sit in the corner and knit. But that 2% of the time when something is not physiologically normal, having an experienced set of hands there is really essential. As birth professionals we have seen enough stuff to add grey hairs that we just really don't take chances like that with our own families. 3
Yup, this. I am not a MW (not yet anyway), but I am a doula. I did seriously consider having a UC before I became a doula, and now I absolutely would not. I prefer births where there is a circle of loving, caring, trusted women around the laboring woman.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page