Questions about the glucose test! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2001, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have delivered two of my children with Certified Nurse Midwives in hospitals here in Arizona. Two different cities. Anyway. I moved again and am due with my third in March.

Both my previous midwives allowed me to eat a normal meal before having the glucose test. They told me the reasons then but I've forgotten.

This midwife wants me to be fasting, or just not to eat breakfast before the test at 9:00.

I am wondering if eating will cause any false results. Should I eat anyway and not tell her?

Thanks for any help!

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2001, 10:33 PM

You should ask why she wants you to be fasting when you have the GTT done. Does she have some specific reason?
As far as I know, fasting GTT causes more positive results, and that means more false positives that go on in the three hour GTT to have perfectly normal "scores." Thereis a fantastic article written by Henci Goer here: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html. You may try looking around for some more information.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:53 AM

Hi diegosmommy-

The glucose screen you may have had before is called the Breakfast Tolerance Test. A very specific amount of food is eaten after a 12 hour fast (usually overnight) and exactly one hour later your blood is drawn. Does this sound familiar? This screening method has been pretty thoroughly reseached, the idea being that a woman can get the same grams of glucose from FOOD instead of that nasty glucola stuff, and get results that are equal to that same nasty stuff.

The drawback is that you have to fast overnight, whereas the glucola stuff you can do anytime.

A WORD OF CAUTION!! If you decide to do the screen and do the glucola, BE SURE to eat a very good meal (beans and rice for example) a couple of hours before the test. This mass of carbohydrates will stabilize your blood sugar enough to withstand the shock of the sugar and will give a more accurate reading of your bodies reaction to sugar.

Good luck! And you know, there's lots of controversies around even doing glucose testing if you haven't had problems in other pregnancies, no family history of diabestes, etc. A random fasting blood level can be a good indicator if your body's doing ok, or if you could really benefit from doing the full on screen.

hope this helps.

PS I personally did the Breakfast Tolerance Test and didn't feel nauseated, dizzy or anything! (it was eggs, toast, orange juice and milk)
Old 12-14-2001, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers, I'm going to check out that article next.

My other two glucose test were with the drink. Looking at the risk factors, I suppose I may be at risk, except I have had two previously healthy births.

I am 33. I have a sister with diabetes I, but I am not overweight.

I just don't want to have false results and have to do the Next three hour test or have to worry about gestational diabetes, unless I really do have it.

I will be calling my CNM to check about the fasting.

Thanks!

Tammy
Old 12-15-2001, 08:42 PM

I just found this study from 2000 stating the the Breakfast tolerance test and the GTT are of equal value:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entre...&dopt=Abstract
Old 12-19-2001, 06:42 AM

I had to have both glucose tests this pregnancy.

The first pregnancy I had diabetes. The second one the midwife TOLD me I had it, but I never actually had the test. I puked and they assumed (and lated induced).

This time, I do not have it.

My midwife did suggest, however, that for 3 days prior, to not overdo it with the carbs. The first test I passed with flying colors. I got to eat normally, and not fast.

The second test was the 3 hour (?) fasting one. I passed that as well. I only took it because I was measuring 31 weeks when I was only 25 weeks along, so with prior diabetes history (and family history) we thought it would be a good idea.

She had heard about the jellybean test, and I gave her the information I found on it. Have you guys heard of it? (I believe it is 18 Brach's Jellybeans equal to one of those nasty Glucolas!)

User Tag List