Frum Doulas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-04-2006, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cant beleive they had to convince the birth center staff "he really loves me" durin gthe actual birth. What an annoyance. HOpe its not asking too much, but what do they need to know (obviously according to your halachic authority) for a shabbos birth. I know about not signing papers, what else is there? Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Gila, the Shabbos question is a tough one. You would really need to talk to your Rav to find out what YOU can do and avoid doing. A yoledet is a cholah sheyesh ba sakana.

Some personal examples, we knew I was in labor on Friday so we called our Rav right before Shabbos to ask him how to get the birth center. He said that we should just drive in our car since there some sakanot in taking a cab. Another thing we asked is how to leave the BC on Shabbos since it has a 12 hour discharge and we wouldn't be able to wait till Shabbos came out. He said that the best thing would be to get a non-Jewish driver to take us home. I had asked a non-Jewish co-worker if she would volunteer and we made a plan when I knew I was in labor. I had the nurse call her from my cellphone that had her number pre-programmed. She picked us up and drove us home (she opened and closed the car doors for us etc to minimize Chilul Shabbat).

More examples, at the BC, if we needed a light turned on in the bathroom then we asked the nurse to do it. If she was unavailable then we did it ourselves. DD was wrapped in a heating pad to help her keep up her body temp and when we needed it turned off the nurse wasn't available so we just took it off her and left it on on the nighttable.

I did have to sign a release form stating that I'd care for my newborn (I was GBS+) so I signed with my left hand. We did all the birth certificate paperwork etc during the workweek.

When you start thinking about the possible scenarios you could go crazy!!!
#33 of 38 Old 01-10-2006, 11:51 PM

thanks for all your help! b'e'h well you know...
#34 of 38 Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

BeShaah Tova!
#35 of 38 Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 PM

I am not frum but I have enjoyed reading this thread.
on the subjuect of cappa or cbi....I know very little of cappa but I have had some interaction with cbi as I am looking at getting certified with them. the thing I have found impressive is how responsive they are. I had called in with a question about logging onto a class they offered. within two hours I had both an e-mail and a phone message from them in response. they offer on-line disscusion board, yahoogroup, e-mail, and phone support.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#36 of 38 Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermom
I am not frum but I have enjoyed reading this thread.
on the subjuect of cappa or cbi....I know very little of cappa but I have had some interaction with cbi as I am looking at getting certified with them. the thing I have found impressive is how responsive they are. I had called in with a question about logging onto a class they offered. within two hours I had both an e-mail and a phone message from them in response. they offer on-line disscusion board, yahoogroup, e-mail, and phone support.

thanks for that info, I was leaning more towards cbi anyway, was going to registar G-d willing next week.
are you certifying as doula or cbe? and are you doing the distance learning?
#37 of 38 Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 AM

I want to certify in both but I will start doula hopefully next month thru their distance learning program. I like the program and my mom (who is paying for it ) likes the fact that you can work out a payment plan.
I did their "so you want to be a doula" class because it was just 15 dollars and gave me a way to check out how they approach learning/teaching. as a short term student, they invited me to joing their yahoo group for students. it has been imformitive.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#38 of 38 Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 AM

On a separate note- Hi all- My name is Miriam and I created a cd of original songs all about pregnancy, birth and motherhood- inspirational music for the Jewish Mom. I have a website where you can purchase my cds and hear samples of the songs: www.jewish-ema-music.com

I am a musician and the songs are all done on a professional level. I created it because I wanted something like this for myself and didn't find anything out there like this. hope you enjoy!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page