Doula's on call and/or volunteer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-25-2002, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was watching Birth Story the other day and at one hospital they showed a woman who arrived by herself in labor. Her husband was home getting the 3 or 4 other kids taken care of. They asked her if she wanted a doula and explained to her what they are. She says, 'sure'.

This particular hospital keeps a list of local doulas who will be on call and volunteer their services. Has anyone here heard of or participated in a program like this? It sounds awesome to me, although I suppose it could be tough to create a relationship with the laboring woman and her partner that quickly. It seems like a great way to help women who may be under-prepared and get a lot of experience at teh same time. Anyone have other thoughts on this?
#2 of 4 Old 01-26-2002, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh how wonderful~I have wanted to start a program like that in our area. There are so many families without family in the area to help out during labor/delivery and post-partum. Its a great idea!

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 4 Old 01-28-2002, 03:22 PM

I've heard of that- although it's not available where I live. The doulas are on-call and hired through the hospital. So you'd be on call on certain nights and if you are needed, the hospital calls you and you come in. I wish I could do that here. It would be nice while my kids are so young to know exactly what nights I might be gone. The only down side of course, is that you don't have a relationship with the clients beforehand.
#4 of 4 Old 01-30-2002, 05:36 PM

in the 80s(give you an idea of my age?) I was privelidged to have participated in a group called MOTHER TO MOTHER and CHILDBIRTH INC in Austin TX in Brackenridge hospital- I have since moved where there is no org out of the hospital but I am a doula who volunteers locally with the hEALTHY START program- if you are a doula, go talk to the local sevices that exist and volunteer your services, ya never know who might call

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page