new ACOG statement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2002, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
information and feedback please regarding the statement from ACOG? I am wondering if there are any citizen VBAC or homebirth groups fighting this?
The statment to the best of my knowledge states that and VBAC must be taken to a level3 hospital(we dont have any of those in my town) and attending physicial must be there- meaning...no midwife VBAC? no homebirth VBAC? I am unsure of ACOGs ability to impact the birthing community, and am not sure of even their authority-can someone clarify for me? yall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-15-2002, 07:46 AM

I haven't heard anything about this. Where did you come across this information? I know that a lot of midwives in this area are hesitant with homebirths for vbac's but still do them as long as no complications should appear prenatally. I know a few woman who have tried to have vbac's with their second children and none were required to transfer or register at a level 3 facility... I would like to hear more about this if you find anything else out.. Please keep in touch with any new or further input on this topic.
#3 of 6 Old 02-15-2002, 10:16 PM

a few months back they passed a no home VBAC law... didn't last long though!! we fought it!
#4 of 6 Old 02-16-2002, 05:10 AM

I haven't heard anything about a new statement from ACOG re VBAC - the last Practice Bulletin on the subject (or so I believe) was July, 1999. Midwifery Today has a good analysis and rebuttal of the statement:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ult.asp?t=acog

I know there's yet another poorly run study swirling around saying that VBAC's are inherently dangerous - but no statement from any official body that I know of - except in Washington State, the company that issues liability policies to licensed midwives have pulled their coverage of VBAC's ... unbelievable.
#5 of 6 Old 02-19-2002, 01:34 AM

I've heard about this, too; on a more mainstream discussion board, there are a lot of ladies who are complaining about this because they live out in the country and don't have a level III care facility and are being refused the option of VBAC. CAN YOU IMAGINE??? Urrrgghhh..... the nerve!!!!!
I wonder which states this affects, and to what extent, because I'm pretty sure our local freestanding birth center will still give VBAC support... unless these "guidelines" affect their back-up hospitals who may refuse support of out-of-hospital VBACers. I know the homebirth CPM I use will still do them, because she could really give two sh*ts about what the ACOG says, but I feel really sorry for all those women who want to have hospital VBACs but aren't "allowed" under the new ACOG guidelines. How ludicrous!!! :mad:
#6 of 6 Old 02-20-2002, 07:26 PM

I have also heard about this. My neighbor is a L&D nurse at two different hospitals and niether of them allow VBAC's unless the doctor is going to remain during the labor. Her words were that they are just too dangerous! I haven't gotton a chance to talk to her about it again though.

I am going to be assisting a friend (as a doula in training) at her second VBAC this summer at a VBAC friendly hospital so I am going to have her ask her Dr. about what she has heard. If I find anything else out I will post it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page