too much relaxin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2006, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a first meeting tomorrow with a potential client. (I'm a student doula.) I'm a bit concerned about something, though. The mother has been taking these vitamins from over the internet....which would be okay....except I'm not sure they are completely safe.

Let me expand, has anyone heard of a pregnant woman producing too much relaxin? According to the father, around 3 months of pregnancy she began to limp. It continued to get worse, she used a cane. Now at 5 1/2 months pregnancy, she is using a walker and is hardly able to get around!!! I've never heard of such a thing. Please enlighten me if this is a real condition. My first thought was...are these natural "vitamins" she is taking having some play in this condition?

Not sure which one she is taking, but I know it is one of these: http://www.lifezone.com/supplements.html

Please help me on this one. I'm stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM

There's nothing unusual in those ingredient lists. I Googled the vanadium in the first supplement and it has a functionality similar to chromium.

It would really help if you knew which supplement she's taking. Since one of them had just iron and magnesium it would be possible that it could create a calcium deficiency.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Could it be pubic symphosis? I know that it can be incredibly painful to when you have it.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, you are awesome heartandhandsdoula. I googled that term, that sounds exactly like what she has. Thank you so much!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 PM

I echo the thoughts about pubic symphosis. My sister and I produce unusual amounts of relaxin from very early in the pregnancy (my back went out at 6 weeks with my 2nd, my sister's thumbs dislocate and she had pubic symphosis with her 3rd). This sounds to the degree that my sister had it, while not in a wheelchair she had p.s. and found out about here in these boards actually, she didn't know *what* was going on.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 PM

I had Sciatica so bad with my first I could hardly walk. I went to a physical therapist and she realigned my pelvis and gave me some great exercises to use. I thought I was falling apart and I was only 3 months pregnant, but she said it wasn't about the weight of the baby, but the relaxin causing ligaments etc that weren't aligned properly to become even more out of place.

Kirsten, wife of Jason, mom to Anne, 7, and Orion, 5 (my HBAC baby!).  Owner of Bloo Kangaroo Carriers - bringing moms, dads, and little ones closer since 2007.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I met with this lady last night. Oh my goodness, she can barely move! I really think that she has ps. She says she has tried a chiropracter, didn't help. Went to physical therapy, didn't help. She did get an injection and it helped a bit. But she is in constant pain. I found this great article on the subject http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/p...n.htm#Symptoms

She is laying on her back, can barely move to do ANYTHING.... Is there a way to relieve this pain so she can sleep on her side and move around a bit more? All advice, suggestions are needed. She wants me to attend her birth. This is going to be a challenge... (and this will only be my second birth, but I'll have a very experienced midwife with me hopefully.)

She mentioned severe pains in her legs. Sometimes she doesn't even have to put pressure on them, just barely putting her foot down can trigger severe pain. She's taking 4 and 5 doses of Tylenol 3 every day. (She says she'd like to take more...)

For those of you who have experienced it, what worked for you during pregnancy? How did you handle labor and birth?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bind the hips-- or hips and tummy
wearing tight bike shorts help some and may be the simplest way to get that over all firmness or a girtle
additionally you can tie a twin bed sheet or piece of fabric around the hips that hold the hips tighter and the uterus up-- now some people put on a cloth belt at hips and snug it up tight if it is just the hips

my old midwifery partner had this trouble with every pregnancy and she would end up on crutches for 2/3 of her pregnancy

saint John's wort oil is pain relieving and helps some (this is an infused oil not essential oil)
Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How often did she see the chiro? I had this issue as well, and if I hadn't gone every other day or so, from the middle of my first trimester, with both of my kids, I would have been incapacitated. He would put me back in alighnment and the relaxin was so strong that my pelvis would be back out of alignment within 24-48 hours. The girdle DID help, but really, I only got releif from repetitive visits to the Chiro. He worked out a flat monthly rate with me, so that I wasn't getting dinged for so many visits, but he still got paid. It was more than fair. And, you might explain to her that sometimes she is SO out of wack that it may take a few visits (every day or every other day) to get "all the kinks out" and get her into proper alignment everywhere, which will help her hold the adjustment for a longer period of time.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM

I had this with my last three pregnanices. I could also barely move. Binding is of tremendous help! I used a pregnancy belt purchased for $9 at Walmart but wore it as tight as possible over my hips (not touching or supporting my belly at all) it take some time to help, but have her put it on as soon as she gets up in the morning.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 10-21-2006, 09:56 PM

Thank you so much for posting that article about pelvic pain. I posted a similar question in the VBAC listings about help with painful sciatica and I didn't get much response. This is EXACTLY what I have and have had going on for 2 weeks. SERIOUS pain in the pelvic region. I almost scream when I get out of bed and turn over. It hurts so badly to walk with pain in my lower back that shoots into 1/2 my butt. I can't stand on one leg making even putting on underwear or pants a chore. NOTHING has helped. My OB said I have sciatica and to try heating pad and massage and if that didn't help she would refer me to a physical therapist. I'm going to the PT next week and if that's doesn't help SOON, I'm definitely going to a chiropractor. I've been reluctant to go to a chiro because I'm a lawyer and have had many malpractice claims against chiros, but if they are the only ones who can help, I have to try something. The pain is too unbearable and I honestly can't even imagine trying a natural VBAC with this pain. I had pelvic pain similar to this but not the shooting down the butt stuff with my first daughter in 1991 and she was a c-section. Then in 2004 with my second daughter, I had a successful VBAC and no pain like this at all. I'm due Dec. 2 and noticed this pain starting 2 weeks ago all of a sudden when I woke up. I also have severe throbbing pain in my upper thigh area like right under the crotch. It's agony! I have been looking for answers and the article was fantastic and described me and my pain to a T!! I'm so happy there should be an end in sight!

Carrissa
Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 AM

I found a great article about pelvic pain here from a chiro who specializes in it.http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot...pregnancy.html
Hope that is helpful!
Alicia
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
How often did she see the chiro? I had this issue as well, and if I hadn't gone every other day or so, from the middle of my first trimester, with both of my kids, I would have been incapacitated. He would put me back in alighnment and the relaxin was so strong that my pelvis would be back out of alignment within 24-48 hours. The girdle DID help, but really, I only got releif from repetitive visits to the Chiro. He worked out a flat monthly rate with me, so that I wasn't getting dinged for so many visits, but he still got paid. It was more than fair. And, you might explain to her that sometimes she is SO out of wack that it may take a few visits (every day or every other day) to get "all the kinks out" and get her into proper alignment everywhere, which will help her hold the adjustment for a longer period of time.
This was me until an old chiropractor taught me an exercise to help keep things where they were suoopsed to be. On all 4;s tuck your head down and arch your back like a cat. Then in one fluid movement move your head up and push your pelvis down and bum out if that makes sense. I still needed to go for periodic adjustments but it greatly helpd the pain and mobility.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 PM

I had severe pubic symphasis pain and sciatica with my second pregnancy. Chiropractic helped a bit as long as I went frequently. The maternity belt helped some too. The pelvis pain was so bad that I could barely dress myself at times. Rolling over on my side was pure torture! Walking up stairs was nearly impossible. My pubis would actually make a popping sound if I moved in the wrong way.

To the p.p. who was worried about being able to handle her labor with so much pelvis pain...I just wanted to encourage you with my personal experience. Even with so much pain during the pregnancy, during labor I did not notice any pubic pain whatsoever. My son was OP and I was doing squats, lunges, etc, with no problems. After my son was born I realized that my pelvis didn't hurt the entire time.
The pain did return after birth however and I spent a couple more months visiting the chiro getting everything back aligned properly through adjustments and strengthening exercises. I've had 2 pregnancies since then with very minimal pubic symphasis pain.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM

That is a lot of Tylenol. It can be liver toxic, so I would worry about that. Obviously she should talk with her midwife about it, but if alternative, safe pain relief can be found, I think it would be well worth the try. She might try homeopathy for the pain - it is very safe.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Some of the things in that article will work for SOME types of pelvic instability and not for others. Most people have a mixed bag of pelvic instability, some SPD, some SI (Sacroiliac) misalignment some sciatic problems. You really have to try it all and see what works for you. Keeping your legs together for some people (myself included) is agonizing.

For me it the exercises in:

Relieving Pelvic Pain During and After Pregnancy: How Women Can Heal Chronic Pelvic Instability

- a good chiro

- a good physio

That finally helped me get some relief.

Here is a thread I started about the lack of knowledge regarding this problem as well as the lack of comprehensive treatment and rehabilitation plans.

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ic+instability
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Another article I found to be really helpful was
l"]http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/10/what-is-relaxin.html[/URL]
It helped me understand why my body had been hurting so much and it recommended a chiropractor specializing in pregnancy.
Hope that helps.
Alicia

User Tag List