Any Herbalist's out here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-08-2002, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Kim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted in the Pregnancy forum but haven't received any responses and thought someone here may be able to help.

I am wanting to find out a little more about herbs that I should be taking/avoiding at this stage in pregnancy. Currently, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and taking Red Raspberry Leaf capsules and tea, 3000 mg of Evening Primrose oil, cranberry extract, acidopholus, and of course, pre-natal vitamins.

I've heard of Blue and Black Cohosh but don't know much about it. Is there anything else I should be taking now or for breastfeeding?

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Kim
#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2002, 04:15 PM

Cohash is used to stimulate labor and soften the cervex. Most midwives beleive it to beneficial but the risks associated for it are primarily durring early pregnancy. I wouldn't reccomend you take it without a midwife to consult on the dose.

One thing you might want to think about is herbal remedies durring contractions, like skullcap. I would suggest useing only herbs that are considerd foof, tonic or herbs.

As for what you are taking it seems right and there is not much that I would reccommend exept maybe some dandylion leaves added to a daily salad.

For preparing for nursing I would suggest Blessed thistle, it will increase in enrich the flow of milk. But beware, if you are like me you need no help at all with your milk supply. Wait on this till after your milk comes in and then see.

Lady's mantel is helpful in settling the stomach as well as keeping you from hemoraging durring childbirth. This was very important to me because women in my family have a history of hemmoraging.

Nettle leaf is good if you have insufficiant iron.

I fyou wouold like to do most of these things on your own I would recommend owning "Herbal Healing for Women" by Rosemary Gladstar. It is invaluable and will ansewr all your question as well as give you recipes for everything you could possibly need.
#3 of 3 Old 02-09-2002, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Kim

Thanks Tasha! What great information!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page