Can I get a midwife opinion here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-20-2002, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy, i don't see my own midwife until next Wednesday and I am so confused.

What would YOU do if you had history of pre-e from first pg (not serious, slightly high bp in last month then dangerously high enough to need mag sulfate during delivery) and now at 34wks my bp has gone from being super (around 118/68 most of pg) to being 130/90, gained 3-4lbs in 5 days and saw sparkles ; ( No protein in urine, so no pre e yet but needless to say It's not looking as peachy as it was.

So my question is, if it does get bad...whats my best option? Just try to keep bp down on bedrest, go into labor on my own at 40+wks and pray I don't need mag sulfate again? I'm REALLY not wanting mag, the side effects are awful and scary effects on baby from the info I found online. The part that freaks me out is basically I was fine last time UNTIL labor, so what help is bedrest going to be? If they want to induce me ( I assume if I end up with full fledged pre e, bye bye midwife hello OB?), are there any methods that work that aren't horrendously dangerous like cytotec? Is a c section safer than induction? So basically whats the worst of all these evils in your eyes? Any input greatly appreciated ; )

Oh ps...I'm borderline gestational diabetic, have polycystic ovarian syndrome which is related to or caused by Insulin resistance. I read this is a risk factor for Pre E ; (

Carrie edd 4/1
#2 of 4 Old 02-21-2002, 12:41 PM

I'm not a midwife, but we did just discuss this at my last midwifery study group.... eat tons and tons of protein!!! Sometimes eating lots of protein, combined with a super healthy diet of fresh, whole foods and tons of water, can reverse the effects of pre-e. We did not discuss bedrest, but I'm assuming you do want to stay away from any strenuous physical activity and mental stress. Try some meditation and positive visualization techniques; it wouldn't hurt, and it just may help!
Depending on where you're birthing, and on your midwife's philosophy, you may or may not need to switch to an ob. I doubt you will just yet; your midwife may give you some time to try to reverse the effects and since you're not spilling protein in your urine, it doesn't seem like an immediate danger. Are you birthing in the hospital? If so, your midwife can still care for you, and she will have back-up right there waiting in case you need extra help. If this gets worse and you're planning a freestanding birth center birth or homebirth, you'll probably need to switch care.... but that's all worst case scenario! Chin up, take excellent care of yourself, and you may be able to defeat this thing!!
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2002, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah with history of pre e I wasn't even considering anything but hospital, using CNMidwife. I think your right I might be able to keep her under Dr supervision so that would be good.

I'm already eating tons of protein because I am on the somewhat low carb gestation diabetes diet so that doesn't seem to be doing the trick ; (. Oh well, I'm taking it easy and trying to relax and hope for the best!
Carrie
#4 of 4 Old 02-23-2002, 01:21 AM

Eat even more protein.

If you can get your protein to over 100 grams per day that may help. Don't do all animal protein. Mix it up to give your kidneys and liver a break. Legumes and whole grains together are a complete protein, soy protein is a complete protein. Get a protein supplement drink, obviously one that is low-carb. Even with gestational diabetes you can do black beans and some whole grains and soy is o.k. too (unless you've been specifically told not to). Don't restrict your sodium intake, eat lots of nuts too because they contain high quantities of minerals which are getting washed out of your system right now. Good luck! PCOS is difficult but you are strong. Whatever comes your way, you will handle it with strength.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page