aspiring midwife in fl..needs advice on school - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been researching all the different schools and options. i am currently an at home mamma but i want to start my midwifery training so when my baby is older i will be ready to apprentice. It seems that in Florida there are only 3 schools and you have to study according to their format. no distance ed.. etc. but there is a four month course for midwives who have been certified in other states. so i was thinking to just do a distance ed from another school, then just take the 4 month course in fl.
so if anyone has any advice that would be great. maybe i will just have to wait 2 more years....but?
#2 of 28 Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Hum.

Email me or PM me. I hear you and have advice.

mannromeyhomeys@msn.com
#3 of 28 Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 AM

Can you PM me too! I have been struggling with this same issue. I want to start school at my own pace. With 4 kids under 10 ....one 3 months old....I just can't travel.

I have even discussed with DH doing distance school and then moving out of state to practice.
#4 of 28 Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 AM

As another Florida mom who is contemplating a change in my career to midwifery at some point down the road, could you mention what the three schools are? I know there is gainesville and Miami, and there used to be one here in Tallahassee (Ren. Inst.) but I believe it closed.
Sorry, to hijack, just wanted to know what my options might be.
#5 of 28 Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 PM

There is Miami Dade in Miami, and FSTM in Gainesville. That's it. The rest aren't accepting students any more.
#6 of 28 Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 PM

I was recently pointed to this but I know nothing about it http://www.miamibirth.com/index.php?...on=com_content
#7 of 28 Old 06-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Dear Friends,

Our new midwifery education program, the Nizhoni Institute of Midwifery, here in San Diego just received temporary approval to operate (with full approval to be granted pending the state's site visit) from the State of California. This has been a very tough process that has taken us more than three years to achieve. We will now re-enter the MEAC accreditation process as soon as the final draft of their new standards is approved (probably in July) and we expect to move through that efficiently. The final step will be to receive approval from the Medical Board of California, which so far has approved all the MEAC-accredited schools. Our graduates will then be able to be licensed in California.

The good news is that California, Washington and Florida midwives enjoy reciprocity of licensure. As I understand the application process in Florida, you would still need to attend a four-month pre-licensure program as a graduate of our program, but at least you would be able to attend via distance learning for the bulk of your midwifery education.

If you would like more information about our program, please contact me at nizhonimidwives@gmail.com and we will be happy to talk with you further. We will have a website up soon. Because of the regulations here in CA, we have not even been allowed to discuss or advertise this program in any way until we achieved temporary approval, so we are thrilled to let everyone know about it now!

Marla Hicks, RN-BC, CPM, LM
Program Manager
Nizhoni Institute of Midwifery
619-713-2892
nizhonimidwives@gmail.com
#8 of 28 Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Wow! This is news!

Are you in contact with the FL Department of Education? Have you attempted a reciprocity with Florida? How exciting for all the aspiring midwives!
#9 of 28 Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM

Hi onlyboys,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we will definitely be working with other states (including Florida) to obtain approval for the program. We will keep you posted as we have more news!

Marla
#10 of 28 Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizhoni View Post
Dear Friends,

Our new midwifery education program, the Nizhoni Institute of Midwifery, here in San Diego just received temporary approval to operate (with full approval to be granted pending the state's site visit) from the State of California. This has been a very tough process that has taken us more than three years to achieve. We will now re-enter the MEAC accreditation process as soon as the final draft of their new standards is approved (probably in July) and we expect to move through that efficiently. The final step will be to receive approval from the Medical Board of California, which so far has approved all the MEAC-accredited schools. Our graduates will then be able to be licensed in California.

The good news is that California, Washington and Florida midwives enjoy reciprocity of licensure. As I understand the application process in Florida, you would still need to attend a four-month pre-licensure program as a graduate of our program, but at least you would be able to attend via distance learning for the bulk of your midwifery education.

If you would like more information about our program, please contact me at nizhonimidwives@gmail.com and we will be happy to talk with you further. We will have a website up soon. Because of the regulations here in CA, we have not even been allowed to discuss or advertise this program in any way until we achieved temporary approval, so we are thrilled to let everyone know about it now!

Marla Hicks, RN-BC, CPM, LM
Program Manager
Nizhoni Institute of Midwifery
619-713-2892
nizhonimidwives@gmail.com
Wow i'm so excited! and congrats for you as well.
i spoke with the school here in g'ville and they said that if i was cert. in another state they would still have to look at all the classes i took and there is a possibility some wouldn't be accepted. if that were the case i would have to retake the courses and do the 4 month program. i'm in touch with a midwife here who is going to call the state of florida and we're going to try and figure this out. i am hoping we can work this out. i'm sure there are more women who would choose the distance route. well i will keep posting here as i learn more and i will e-mail Nizhoni in august when i can start studying.
#11 of 28 Old 07-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavi View Post
Wow i'm so excited! and congrats for you as well.
i spoke with the school here in g'ville and they said that if i was cert. in another state they would still have to look at all the classes i took and there is a possibility some wouldn't be accepted. if that were the case i would have to retake the courses and do the 4 month program. i'm in touch with a midwife here who is going to call the state of florida and we're going to try and figure this out. i am hoping we can work this out. i'm sure there are more women who would choose the distance route. well i will keep posting here as i learn more and i will e-mail Nizhoni in august when i can start studying.
Actually, FSTM doesn't do ANY of the assessment of the credentials. The people who are in charge of that are in the Council of Licensed Midwifery in Tallahassee. Essentially, you will apply for licensure by endorsement, or for temporary licensure (which is a 2 year "emergency" license), the agency (right now it's ICA, but there is some talk that there will be an individual well versed in FL law to do it) will evaluate transcripts and then give that evaluation to the Council, who will then refer the midwife to the school who is offering the four month course (currently no one, but FSTM is approved to offer it) and then you will take the course and any birth requirements that they might have.

If you could contact Heidi Dahlborg, she will be able to tell you exactly who to talk to get this worked out. The fact is that there is zero precedent for this happening, and no one on the Council has been there before. Also, the employees that work for the Dept of Health with regard to midwifery seem to get easily overwhelmed.

Definitely keep an eye on the Florida Dept of Health website, as well as the thread here that is in the Florida tribes area, because there are women already beginning this fight who would LOVE the energy that anyone could bring to this. The licensure by endorsement tool that is being reworked right now is crucial to the success of midwifery in the state of Florida, and has the potential to really help!

HTH!
#12 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 PM

I searched florida midwifery and came upon this thread. We are in PA right now, but my husband is looking at Ave Maria near Naples to move. I am confused what kind of additional training I will need. I am taking the CPM next February, but haven't attended a formal program. i can get my masters in midwifey from midwives college of Utah, which is MEAC approved in about 12 months if I worked hard.

What about the 4 month course? I have heard through the grapevine that the course is not being offered, so in essence it's impossible to get your license that way?

What about CNM's who transfer?

Anyone have links to the regulations such as vbac's, twins, etc?
And what about insurance? how much? I don't have any here in pa since we are not regulated.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I have a nice practice I am just starting here and am hesitant to leave that and move to unknown area, although the weather in FL, makes it very tempting!!! I hate the cold!!
#13 of 28 Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Maggi315
You might find a lot of answers to your questions in this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=597950

Florida's laws regarding CPMs can be found here:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/midwifery/info_laws.pdf
-My understanding is that it is illegal for a homebirth midwife to attend a twin birth in Florida. There is a set of risk scores outlined in the rule, and anything over a 2, I believe, requires a consultation with a back up OB. Primary VBAC's fall into this category as a risk score of 3 - so there are many midwives in Florida that won't do VBAC's due to the lack of a back up OB who is willing to "sign off" on the birth (this also depends on how the midwife and the OB interpret the law, some interpret it as informed consent, others think the OB is "giving permission"). I have also been told that it is illegal to VBAC at a birth center in Florida. The regulations for Florida birth centers is Ch. 383 of the Florida Statutes.

Not sure, but I think that CNM's fall under different laws here.

I recently attended an informational meeting for aspiring midwives at the Florida School of Traditional Midwifery in Gainesville. They mostly spoke on their 3 year DEM program. It didn't sound like they were running the 4 month long course for liscensure for midwives from another state. You might want to call and talk to them about that, as they are the only place that currently has that program here.

The midwife association of Florida (www.maf.cc) might also have some good information for you.

I lived in Naples for a year while interning at the Conservancy of SW Florida. It is a really pretty place with some nice beaches. We need more midwives in Florida, so I hope you make it down here!
#14 of 28 Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 AM

The four month licencsure by endorsement is not a course, but a semester
It includes classes like Florida Law & Rules.
http://www.midwiferyschool.org/catalog/catalog.pdf
page 15

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#15 of 28 Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Onlyboys, I want to know too I don't need this info for myself now though. I will keep an eye on the tribal forum though cause I'd love to help (not that I think I actually *can*)
I know someone who is supposedly doing a distance course with the intent of doing the four month LBE. I know some of the hang ups like the reciprocity thing & practicum requirements.

I know it's possible (now) though as a new local midwife just came from England and did the four month.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#16 of 28 Old 07-27-2007, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

i already spoke with the director of education at FSTM. she said they are not currently offering the 4 month course but plan on having it soon. there is a school in miami...
http://www.miamibirth.com
this is a link to the birth center attached to it. but you can call them about info for their school. i can't find the link for the school but when i was on it, it did say that they offer the 4month course.
read the info on the forum link that turtlewomyn wrote. it seems like there are a lot of changes on the way for fl. it might be better/easier to wait till they are in effect. if you come here from out of state i think you get a temp 2 yr license to practice in a place of need. but i'm not sure exactly how it works....
good luck! i hope you can come!
#17 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM

It does seem like foreign trained midwives are going to have an easier time of getting credentials transferred than midwives who are educated out of state.

Barb, if you are planning to practice legally in FL (and I wouldn't recommend otherwise, given the climate here) then you will need to be "formally educated." MCU might be an option for you, and I'm in their master's program now. I can't imagine how you could do it in one year, though, and it might be wiser to stretch it out because it does mention in the rules and law that the education must be substantially equivalent to a 3 year program. I'm not sure how you were educated, or if it was through a MEAC accredited school. If not, then you would have to take the courses again. I'm sorry.

The law is really obvious about education, and this does exclude a lot of very competent midwives from practicing.

If you want info on MCU, then let me know. I'm two years into figuring all this out and have lots of contacts. IMO, it's hard to believe the powers that be, as I've heard them lie through their teeth numerous times. I've heard claims made that are patently untrue, and detrimental to the whole of midwifery in FL. I'm really hoping for some good changes!
#18 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
I searched florida midwifery and came upon this thread. We are in PA right now, but my husband is looking at Ave Maria near Naples to move. I am confused what kind of additional training I will need. I am taking the CPM next February, but haven't attended a formal program. i can get my masters in midwifey from midwives college of Utah, which is MEAC approved in about 12 months if I worked hard.

What about the 4 month course? I have heard through the grapevine that the course is not being offered, so in essence it's impossible to get your license that way?
The four month course is not currently being offered because the process to get to the point where you would need it has been flawed. So, even if you were eligible for it, the way to ensure that basically showed that you weren't eligible, so they've not had to offer it. They certainly will when they can fill the class, or someone else will.

Quote:
What about CNM's who transfer?
They are governed totally differently. You can read their requirements for state licensure on the my florida website.

Quote:
Anyone have links to the regulations such as vbac's, twins, etc?
And what about insurance? how much? I don't have any here in pa since we are not regulated.
Here are the laws and rules: http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...7/titl0467.htm
Basically, the system works on a point scale which evaluates the "risk" of a given situation. For example, a prior uterine surgery is a 3. When you reach a 3, or higher, then the midwife must consult or refer the woman to an OB. It can be hard to find an OB to sign off on VBACs. I think that twin pregnancies are specifically risked out. I might be wrong about that.

As far as insurance, I do not know. Your best bet would be to contact a midwife who is currently working in FL.

Quote:
I appreciate any help you can give me. I have a nice practice I am just starting here and am hesitant to leave that and move to unknown area, although the weather in FL, makes it very tempting!!! I hate the cold!!
I can't agree with you about the weather currently, as our air just went out and my house is 97 degrees right now. But, the winters are lovely, and I just love Florida. I would not consider practicing anywhere else.
#19 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM

thanks for all the replies and information. I have done 2 births in 2 days: and a bunch of prenatals! So I am feeling a bit burned out, but I need to spend tonight repacking birth bag and sterilizing equipment, I have 2 more women who could deliver now!!!

I think i would have a hard time in a state where I would be regulated, I am a bit spoiled now, I can do alot!

It will only take me 1 year to do the masters because I already have most of the classes done and will get credit for some of the others. For example, since I teach lab skills and clinical skills to nursing students, I don't need to take physical assessment. I also don't need to take all the classes for NARM or CPM, since once you are a CPM you can take another track.

Did you take their business course yet? That's the one I want to sign up for this week, if you have maybe you could pm me about the content and expectations.

If I had to do my education over again, it would make more sense for me to just get my CNM. It would be shorter and actually cheaper to do it through Frontier! Isn't that something? That's just amazing to me!

Anyone have ballpark figures about how much midwives charge in FL? Around the naples area? I charge separately for prenatals and the actual labor, delivery and postpartum fee, but I know other areas charge a global fee. Seems like in some places midwives can charge enough to live off of 1-2 births per month, that would be nice!
#20 of 28 Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 PM

It's an interesting place to practice, I would think. Regulations are strict, but there is the perk of the legislature requiring a licensed midwifery option, and medicaid pays for licensed midwife-attended births, too. I don't know if that is a terrific trade off, but it's the way it is.

I haven't taken the business class yet, but it does look good! All their courses so far have been exhaustive and time consuming, as well as academically rigorous.

It's the exact same thing for me as far as the CNM goes. It would be cheaper, less time, and then I could work a set schedule. But, I just can't give up the idea of being an autonomous care provider. I don't like to answer to protocol not of my choosing!

The birth center I work for charges $4500 global fee. Of course, insurances and medicaid don't pay that high all the time, but it's at least a little to look at for your finance questions. HTH!
#21 of 28 Old 09-15-2007, 07:17 PM

I am in the process of applying for my Florida license. In regard to insurance, here's the information I just got. Melanie Hart at Dean Insurance is very helpful. I was going to use someone local in Gainesville but didn't have the patience to educate them in regard to insurance for midwives. The application for licensure tells you that you have to have insurance to get your license and insurance company tells you that you have to have your license to get insurance. Usual bueracracy (sorry about spelling). Anyway Melanie knew the ropes.

Hope this is helpful.

New Midwife Rates 2007

Orange Clay, Duval, & Remainder Palm Bch Dade &

County St. Johns Co. of State County Broward Co.

Terr.5 Terr. 4 Terr. 3 Terr. 2 Terr. 1

$100,000/ 0-12 Births $2,823 $3,001 $2,501 $3,753 $5,028

$300,000 >12 Births $120 $128 $106 $159 $212

Limits (charge per birth)

$250,000/ 0-12 Births $4,178 $4,441 $3,701 $5,554 $7,441

$750,000 >12 Births $178 $189 $157 $235 $314

Limits (charge per birth)

Melanie Hart
Dean Insurance Agency, Inc.
230 N. Westmonte Drive, Suite 2100
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
#22 of 28 Old 09-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Thanks very much!

KLPeanut, did you use a FL approved school, or are you attempting the licensure by endorsement process? Congrats on getting through school!
#23 of 28 Old 09-15-2007, 07:28 PM

I went to FSTM
#24 of 28 Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM

Did you just graduate this summer?

If so, then you may have been in the same class I started out in!

Just for the record, all of the women in the class I was in were INCREDIBLE!
#25 of 28 Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 PM

graduated this summer but my class was 2006
#26 of 28 Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 AM

Hello, ladies!

I dug up this old thread on a search for FL midwifery laws and thought I'd show up and ask a few questions of my own, some professional, some personal.

First the personal stuff: we are repatriating to the Jax area from Istanbul, Turkiye. We want to have another baby and soon, as we aren't getting any younger. I have long dreamed of a home waterbirth and tried with DS (14 1/2 months) but due to cervical stenosis ended up with a c-section after 80 hours of labor. I understand that the risk is a 3 and would require an OB consult. Are there any midwives who are willing to do a home VBAC in the west Jax/Clay co. area? (The stenosis has been taken care of with a comnbination of surgical and medical dilation and all is back on track, so I have no reason to expect it to be a problem with a future delivery.)

Now for the professional stuff: I wanna be a midwife! I've had serious baby-catcher hunger for about 15 years and actually went to nursing school with the ultimate goal of becoming a CNM. Suffice it to say that I learned enough about nurse-midwifery that I changed my mind on that path long ago, but still want to be a midwife. I am already an RN,BSN but don't know if that will help or hinder me to become a CPM. Any suggestions for an RN who wants to be a CPM?
#27 of 28 Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 AM

http://63.134.240.27/ffom/Midwiferyi...4/Default.aspx

Here is the link to the "Find a midwife" feature on the Florida Friends of Midwives website for that area. Looks like you have VBAC options (Sharon Schmidt with Fruitful Vine), not sure how current that information is.

As far as becoming a midwife, I would check out the Florida School of Traditional Midwifery in Gainesville:
http://www.midwiferyschool.org/
Look in their catalog, it talks about options for nurses. I have done their tour and many of their students travel. I don't remember how far it is from Jax to Gainesville.
#28 of 28 Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page