Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am. And, I will be there tomorrow. I'm excited about it! (Not excited about having to wake up so early, since I live 45 minutes away, but it's worth it).

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Posting to my own post here.....

Do you think the cold saved this baby? A lot of times, doctors will lower a premature infant's body temperature to lessen the chances of brain damage. The baby seems to have quite a bit of bruising around the chest. I have to wonder though.... How did the baby detatch from the cord? (Mother? From the fall?) How did the baby not bleed out? (again, maybe from the cold?) Did the baby "really" fall through the toilet...was she hoping for a different outcome? I'm kind of interested in this story and to hear the answers they come up with. One thing is for sure...that baby is really lucky to be alive!

i'm imagining the mama passed out (as noted in the article) during the birth and the placenta was birthed in that time period - so it fell out with the baby and remained attached.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am feeling way overwhelmed again. I think I need a hug.

Does anyone else feel like they used to be much smarter than they are now? I mean, really! School used to come very easily to me and now I feel like my brain retains NOTHING! And I am feeling so pulled in so many directions right at this moment that my brain is just tired and done and wants to think about anything other than birth and babies and breastfeeding and childcare, but I can't stop thinking and trying to learn all this stuff.

Sometimes I do wonder if I am going in the right directions (99.99% of the time I KNOW I am). Why take on a job with such a huge responsibility? I could work as a barista for my entire life, if I forget how to make a chai latte, no one will die or be hurt. I make a mean mocha. I could go to work everyday, make some coffee, go home, play with the kids, read a good book, and that would be that. I would probably make more money too I just find myself wondering why I am on this path and yet totally understanding why I am here as well. Am I the only one who ever thinks like this?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Sometimes I do wonder if I am going in the right directions (99.99% of the time I KNOW I am). Why take on a job with such a huge responsibility? I could work as a barista for my entire life, if I forget how to make a chai latte, no one will die or be hurt. I make a mean mocha. I could go to work everyday, make some coffee, go home, play with the kids, read a good book, and that would be that. I would probably make more money too I just find myself wondering why I am on this path and yet totally understanding why I am here as well. Am I the only one who ever thinks like this?
I totally feel this way too. Also about 0.01% of the time. But, I know what you mean. The thing that convinces me that I am absolutely on the right path: I can't imagine NOT doing this work. It feels right, even when I feel overwhelmed and rather stupid for choosing this lifestyle. I know that even if I take a break, I will be coming back for more.

Homebirth midwife
Old 02-29-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I totally feel this way too. Also about 0.01% of the time. But, I know what you mean. The thing that convinces me that I am absolutely on the right path: I can't imagine NOT doing this work. It feels right, even when I feel overwhelmed and rather stupid for choosing this lifestyle. I know that even if I take a break, I will be coming back for more.

ITA with both of you. It's a huge responsibility and hard work, but it is so important to me. It is me.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse08 View Post
hey reha (are you, by any chance, the famous lennon, apprentice of the also famous pam? if so, I've heard awesome things about you both!)! are you going to be at the OMC workshop tomorrow in portland? i'm planning on showing up around lunch time i'm so excited to meet local birth folks! i hope to see you there!
Rachel, it was so nice to get to meet you today! I'm glad that you were able to come. I hope that we do manage to hook up a few times for coffee sometime soon.

Homebirth midwife
Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 AM

thanx, lennon! it was awesome meeting you and pamela also (it felt like i was meeting mini-celebrities since i've heard so much about you both over the past couple of years!).: i was really nervous going there without knowing anyone and probably blathered on like an idiot, but i enjoyed myself nonetheless! it was definitely a nice change to be surrounded by women who are as passionate about birth as i am would it be ok for me to pm or email you as i think of questions about this whole journey to becoming a midwife?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
I am feeling way overwhelmed again. I think I need a hug.

Does anyone else feel like they used to be much smarter than they are now? I mean, really! School used to come very easily to me and now I feel like my brain retains NOTHING! And I am feeling so pulled in so many directions right at this moment that my brain is just tired and done and wants to think about anything other than birth and babies and breastfeeding and childcare, but I can't stop thinking and trying to learn all this stuff.

Wow, you've gotten into my brain and articulated my thoughts so well I absolutely go through periods like this...in a big one right now. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with the endless "to do's" that will get us to our destination, and the moments of "do I even want to get to that destination?!?" are sure to follow! Of course, along comes a great birth or a prenatal visit where you feel like you have really helped someone and all of those doubts are silenced again. I wonder if midwives ever stop having these moments of why am I doing this anyway?

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 AM

wow thanks for linking to that story about the baby in india. I wish there would have been details like what happened with the cord and placenta.
I suppose most people wouldn't even think about that, but to me it's the most obvious and interesting detail!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Hi Ladies! One of my closest friends just found out that she is pregnant with her first child. I am so excited for her and would like to give her a book that will help her through this journey. I was thinking of Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth, but I also thought of Heart and Hands. She is pretty mainstream and her (much to my horror) OB already suggested that she plan an induction since he will be on vacation on her due date. The nerve! I sort of balked at that and said that it didn't matter if he was on vacation as he would probably only walk in the room once she is crowning anyway. I said (without trying to sound pushy) that medically unnecessary induction is NEVER a good idea...
Anyway, I want to give her a book that might plant some seeds about more natural childbirth and hoped you all might have a suggestion....

Thanks!

Wife to Mike, Mom to DD 4, RN and Student Nurse-Midwife.  Expecting #2 on 11/27/2011.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Hi CNM2B! I would highly recommend "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. It clearly states the scientific data regarding various interventions and their true risks/benefits. I loooove Ina May, but she might seem too "out there" for someone who already has a pretty mainstream point of view. I also love "Hearts & Hands" (re-reading it now actually!), but the wealth of information in it might be overwhelming for some moms. You know your friend best, so take this advice with a grain of salt
Old 03-02-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyone View Post
Wow, you've gotten into my brain and articulated my thoughts so well I absolutely go through periods like this...in a big one right now. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with the endless "to do's" that will get us to our destination, and the moments of "do I even want to get to that destination?!?" are sure to follow! Of course, along comes a great birth or a prenatal visit where you feel like you have really helped someone and all of those doubts are silenced again. I wonder if midwives ever stop having these moments of why am I doing this anyway?
You are so right with the work to get to the destination and then suddenly I start to think about it and really think hard and I start to worry about what it will be like when I actually get there. It is a big deal! There is so much responsibility. And yet, I can't talk myself out of it... I tried a few years ago and put off my studies and thought instead my husband and I would work towards opening a coffee shop or something and yet, look where I am anyhow. I just can't stay away. It feels really, really, really right. A little scary at times, but really right.

I have noticed everytime my role is about to change with births a bit I go back through this again and again. I am so glad to hear others do it too..... I was worried I was the only one.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNM2B View Post
I said (without trying to sound pushy) that medically unnecessary induction is NEVER a good idea...
Anyway, I want to give her a book that might plant some seeds about more natural childbirth and hoped you all might have a suggestion....

Thanks!
I'd second the Thinking Womans Guide... and Heart and Hands.
I'd be casually dropping some evidence-based articles showing the dangers of scheduled induction as well, and something about the benefits of allowing a baby it's full gestation period, as well as something on the average natural gestation for a first baby being 41.5 weeks. just pointing her in the direction of allowing things to flow in the healthiest way possible, rather than fitting into the OB's convenience.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hi Ladies! One of my closest friends just found out that she is pregnant with her first child. I am so excited for her and would like to give her a book that will help her through this journey. I was thinking of Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth, but I also thought of Heart and Hands. She is pretty mainstream and her (much to my horror) OB already suggested that she plan an induction since he will be on vacation on her due date. The nerve! I sort of balked at that and said that it didn't matter if he was on vacation as he would probably only walk in the room once she is crowning anyway. I said (without trying to sound pushy) that medically unnecessary induction is NEVER a good idea...

Thanks!

I just rented "The Business of Being Born" from Netflix. I think it is a really good film for the mainstream. Even with all the information I already know, the way they describe the snowball effect of induction got me shouting at the screen "YES! EXACTLY" I think it is presented in a forum that so many people can grasp and understand. I know some of my more mainstream realatives look at me w/ that "crazy hippie" look when I talk about birth sometimes - that forms a seperation. If the TV Nation can relate to this film ----yeah!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Question for all you ladies...

How many of you homeschool? How do you balance it with being a student yourself? With attending births?

I am really struggling with this for next year. We homeschooled my Dd for kindergarten but sent her to a local private school this year for first grade. It was really my thing - I was out of my mind with PPD after the baby was born and I thought that it would be good for her to get out of the house for a bit. It actually has worked out beautifully - she loves the school and her friends and is doing amazingly well. But, I look ahead to next year and really there is absolutely no way that we can afford it. (Even with financial aid.) I also have to drive her to and fro every day - about 50 miles a day total. The local public school is not an option. She has also been sick a lot this year, and has missed a tremendous amount of school. I know in my heart that homeschooling is best for us, but now that I started my apprenticeship I am really worried about making it all work. I have a Dh who is essentially uninvolved. He works 2+ hours away and is never available for help. I usually only do prenatals once a week and plan on attending few births in the immediate furture. How do you do it? Do you have partners who fill in? Hire sitters? Besides my Dd, I have a 4 and 1 year old too. Tell me it's not impossible. (Or that it is, I can take it.)

Thanks mamas.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Oops. Triple post. (How did that happen??)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Oops.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 PM

I'm in school and homeschool my 3 kids. I do a distance learning program and study when I can. So far it's worked out great. By the time I'm done with the book work and start apprenticing the kids will be around 6, 7 and 8 years old. My parents live a 1/2 hour from me (when they're not in Florida!) and I have some really great neighbors that would take the kids in a second if I had to run out and attend a birth.

Could you contact the local high school (or private school) and post up a job ad? Are there any local kids (13-18) that might drop what they are doing to watch your kids for a couple hours? Can you count on one of your parents, in-laws, brother or sister? What about calling the local day care place and making some kind of deal with them?

With as many times as you will be gone in a month, I'd say that having 2 or 3 solid sources would be best. That way if one can't, you move down and call the next person.

No, it's not impossible! Good luck....I hope you are able to work though this!!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Hi Ladies! One of my closest friends just found out that she is pregnant with her first child. I am so excited for her and would like to give her a book that will help her through this journey. I was thinking of Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth, but I also thought of Heart and Hands. She is pretty mainstream

Thanks!
I agree with "The Thinking Womans Guide" and also highly recommend "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" by Dr. Sarah J Buckley.... it is one of the most holistic books I have read yet.

Tia
AAMI #1940
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 AM

I have been homeschooling my oldest this year for K. next year she will actually be going to public school as I will be in El Paso from August until Nov. I am honestly not sure what we will do when I get home, if she will stay in school or come back to homeschool. I can see there will be some major challenges if she homeschools as it is really hard for me to find childcare for children who are school aged but not old enough to take care of themselves. I don't know what the right decision is, I don't know what is going to work out to be both the best educational option for my child as well as something that works for the whole family. We are just kinda fumbling through it.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM

hotwings, will you be at Casa for those months?

Jen Burnett, DEM
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Yes, Jen, I will be at Casa during that time..... I am nervous and excited about it!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM

How cool!! I'm so excited for you and very jealous!!

I'm sure you'll be very busy and learn a ton!!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
Question for all you ladies...

How many of you homeschool? How do you balance it with being a student yourself? With attending births?

Thanks mamas.
We unschool DD. I'm lucky enough to have DP a WAHD, and he's very supportive of my path as a mw. when it's appropriate, dd comes with me to pre-natals and births. She's becoming a wonderful little birth attendant. (though I never take her to a birth unless there's someone around who takes responsibility for her).

Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Hi everyone! I got to go to another birth last night! It was absolutely beautiful. Mom labored so peacefully. I feel like it's such an honor to get to witness these births!

On the homeschooling note: I'm home/unschooling my kids. We do some academics 2-3 hours a day, 4 days a week. When I start being gone more, the girls who come to baby sit can help them with their school. My babysitters are all homeschooled too which is cool!

Question for those who are apprenticing: How much do your preceptors mange the third stage? Mine definitely manages it. I don't think excessively so, but maybe a little. She does fundal massage every 5 min. for the first 20 min. and then every 10 min. for the next 30 min. and then every hour or so until we leave. The three births that I have been to, the moms all got misoprostol (Cytotec) and one got pit and methergine (she was definitely hemorrhaging.) It seems like she's a little quick to jump to the misoprostol. The mom last night was clamping down nicely and had no where near as much bleeding as the others did. After 20 min. though, they gave her the misoprostol because she was passing a lot of clots.

The thing is the misoprostol gives the moms such horrible shakes. The fundal massage is so painful (even though she's as gentle as she can be.) I'm wondering if it's necessary for the third stage to be so uncomfortable.
She seems to approach it from a better safe than sorry mentality. I was curious what your preceptors do. (Not criticizing here, just trying to learn...) It's really humbling how much I have to learn.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
Hi everyone! I got to go to another birth last night! It was absolutely beautiful. Mom labored so peacefully. I feel like it's such an honor to get to witness these births!

On the homeschooling note: I'm home/unschooling my kids. We do some academics 2-3 hours a day, 4 days a week. When I start being gone more, the girls who come to baby sit can help them with their school. My babysitters are all homeschooled too which is cool!

Question for those who are apprenticing: How much do your preceptors mange the third stage? Mine definitely manages it. I don't think excessively so, but maybe a little. She does fundal massage every 5 min. for the first 20 min. and then every 10 min. for the next 30 min. and then every hour or so until we leave. The three births that I have been to, the moms all got misoprostol (Cytotec) and one got pit and methergine (she was definitely hemorrhaging.) It seems like she's a little quick to jump to the misoprostol. The mom last night was clamping down nicely and had no where near as much bleeding as the others did. After 20 min. though, they gave her the misoprostol because she was passing a lot of clots.

The thing is the misoprostol gives the moms such horrible shakes. The fundal massage is so painful (even though she's as gentle as she can be.) I'm wondering if it's necessary for the third stage to be so uncomfortable.
She seems to approach it from a better safe than sorry mentality. I was curious what your preceptors do. (Not criticizing here, just trying to learn...) It's really humbling how much I have to learn.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Women generally have shakes in fourth stage (after delivery of the placenta, I'm assuming, since that's what you're describing) regardless of whether they get miso.

Fundal massage is sometimes useful, but a fundal check is always useful.

In terms of recovery postpartum, yes, I think assertive management of bleeding is important, because fundal checks/massage are brief though uncomfortable, while recovery from excessive blood loss is long and unpleasant.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 AM

hotwings, 3 months at casa sounds awesome! i'm considering going sometime in the next year or so, but would probably only stay for 2 weeks-1 month. i think i'll aim for winter, cuz i'm not sure how well i'd handle the summer heat in el paso!

i just received my information packet from national midwifery institute and it seems like this program would be a really good fit for me. i just wonder if there would be some way to create a sense of community among students in a distance program (maybe an annual retreat? or a yahoo group? any other ideas?). is anyone familiar with/enrolled in this program?

i'm so excited to finally be starting my "official" preparation to become a midwife! any suggestions for how to approach potential preceptors about taking you on as an apprentice? there are some awesome midwives in my area, but i'm not sure about how i'm supposed to go about that whole process.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:56 AM

Rachel, just gather up the courage and call or email them and straight out tell them who you are, what you are studying and ask them if they could help you gain experience. It is scary and intimidating, but it is the only way to let them know that you are looking for an apprenticeship. I could be totally wrong in my approach, but I think just being totally straightforward with what you are seeking is the best way of finding someone who can help you out. I think when the timing is right and when the student is serious about getting the experience and diving in, the rest will fall into place somehow.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 AM

thanks for your advice, erika... now i just have to keep my fingers crossed that a midwife will be willing to take me!:
Old 03-07-2008, 01:32 PM

i feel like i'm in total limbo right now! i just don't know which direction to take. NMI definitely looks like a good program, but AAMI is also a great possibility. is the CPM PEP process really that much more complicated/difficult? i'm just not sure that NMI is worth the extra $8k when i keep hearing about the high quality of education through AAMI... advice?

User Tag List