Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1798 Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh wow Reha

I had quite the adventure last night... we have severe flooding going on here... and we ended up at back to back births out in low country. And a transport for the second baby (who is perfectly fine thankfully).

I almost always have a story after going to births, my mom thinks I need to write a book called Adventures of an Aspiring Midwife.

I haven't gotten much studying done this week, but I have been to three births this week so I'll go easy on myself.
#422 of 1798 Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Rhea, I am so glad the mom is ok now. I hope you and your preceptor get a chance to really go over the birth, talk it all out, and think about it lots so that maybe you can get some sleep and rest your brain a bit. I am sorry the last couple of births have been rough ones.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#423 of 1798 Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reha sorry you have had a some hair-raising experiences recently, it doesn't usually happen much, only occasionally. I understand the auto pilot stuff your senor mw went into been there myself. 2 things I read about and go to classes/lectures on by different midwives are shoulder dystocia and hemorrhage - even after years of practice I still want to know/learn from other's experiences and listen for any tricks that I can pick up.
take care
#424 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 AM

Hello everyone! Good to see you!

Just wondering who will be at the upcoming Midwifery Today conference in Philly. I know we talked briefly about it in the other thread but I wanted to see if there was an update. Soooo.....it's in 5 days!! I'll be there on Tuesday around 5:30 and will be leaving Sunday night.

Anyone else??

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#425 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 AM

I would love to go to the conference... but its a teensy bit far for me to go.

I am getting prepared for my big Asian tour, and attending a birth in Thailand. Shall be interesting, as I've not met the mama in person yet; so far all of our pre-natal care has been through the internet.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#426 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 03:58 AM

: I get to see majikfaerie very soon! So excited to meet another MDC mama and midwife! Hot season here and I feel so sorry for all the pregnant moms I see. So difficult to stay hydrated!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#427 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Attended my first breech birth yesterday. It was a surprise breech, and we called in another midwife who has lots of breech experience. We did a full resus, and baby took a while to fully breath on his own , though he was taking occasional breaths by 5 min. His heart rate was great throughout.

:yawning:

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#428 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Wow Reha, you've had some interesting (educational? and scary!) births recently! When did you realize baby was breech? When did the other midwife arrive?

#429 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Wow Reha, you've had some interesting (educational? and scary!) births recently! When did you realize baby was breech? When did the other midwife arrive?
During the labor. We noticed big goobs of thick meconium coming out vaginally every once in a while. I checked mom, and there was a sweet little butt. She was fully dilated, with no cervix at all left. Parents decided to stay home for the birth, we called in the other midwife, and baby was born about 6 hours later, since mom didn't have a pushing urge for a long while. Baby did fabulous throughout, and even had great heart tones during rumping.

Homebirth midwife
#430 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
great heart tones during rumping
So is that a technical term? I've never heard that one before! Well I do like to learn something new everyday

#431 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I believe it is. Crowning isn't applicable is it, since it isn't the head coming.

Homebirth midwife
#432 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I believe it is. Crowning isn't applicable is it, since it isn't the head coming.
: Good point.

Glad to hear all went well... boy, you've run the gamut in complications lately, eh? I guess you're due for a handful (at least) of butter births!!!!
#433 of 1798 Old 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
: Good point.

Glad to hear all went well... boy, you've run the gamut in complications lately, eh? I guess you're due for a handful (at least) of butter births!!!!
That is what we keep thinking. Eventually, I think. My preceptor thinks that it is because I am almost done with my apprenticeship, that the universe is putting us at these births. Not that it is all about us. But, you know what I mean.

Homebirth midwife
#434 of 1798 Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
That is what we keep thinking. Eventually, I think. My preceptor thinks that it is because I am almost done with my apprenticeship, that the universe is putting us at these births. Not that it is all about us. But, you know what I mean.
LOL, I know exactly what you mean Lennon. We are going through the same thing with our practice, as my partner is just getting ready to go out on her own too. I can't even remember what a butter birth looks like.

We recently transported a surprise breech. Probably would have been a nice easy delivery to do at home...frank breech, labor moving very nicely. But this client had just come into our practice 2 weeks earlier. We'd only seen her twice, didn't have much trust built up, and the dh was kinda edgy about homebirth in the first place. When he found out it was breech it did not go over well.
So she got sectioned when she was +2 and pushing:

Christa
#435 of 1798 Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 AM

oh yeah, thanks for the questionairre you sent me Lennon. It gives me some place to start. I appreciate it!

Christa
#436 of 1798 Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 AM

wow! what a story! thanks for sharing, reha.

#437 of 1798 Old 03-22-2008, 01:00 AM

I think no rush to learn it all, right you are ready to have 20 butter births in a row or even more. the thing is even when you are done apprenticing you can still practice with a more experienced mw so no reason to get it all in now.
#438 of 1798 Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Hello everyone! Good to see you!

Just wondering who will be at the upcoming Midwifery Today conference in Philly. I know we talked briefly about it in the other thread but I wanted to see if there was an update. Soooo.....it's in 5 days!! I'll be there on Tuesday around 5:30 and will be leaving Sunday night.

Anyone else??

I'll be there tomorrow. I'm hoping to get back that way on Friday, but it's doubtful. My Dh had emergency surgery last week and the only reason I'm going still tomorrow is because I've had this planned for months. Maybe we'll meet up!
#439 of 1798 Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I am considering becomming a midwivery student sometime in the future. I was trying to find a copy of the Helping Hands workbook but can only find the e-book on AAMI. I would prefer a hard copy since the little ones make computer time precious.

I followerd the link to the website AAMI says carries it but they don't have it.

Any ideas?

Anyway thought you ladies would be the best group to ask.

Thanks so much, Sam.

Mom of 3.
#440 of 1798 Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM

The company who used to carry the hard copy version got bought by someone, and I don't think they carry it any longer. But, I know what many students do with the ebook is to take it to Kinko's or something similar and have a hard copy printed. You are given permission to make one hard copy when you buy the ebook, so that is what I would do.

Homebirth midwife
#441 of 1798 Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
The company who used to carry the hard copy version got bought by someone, and I don't think they carry it any longer. But, I know what many students do with the ebook is to take it to Kinko's or something similar and have a hard copy printed. You are given permission to make one hard copy when you buy the ebook, so that is what I would do.
That's what I did. It's nice because then I don't feel bad about writing in it, and I can print out individual work pages if I like, but... it was quite expensive. Printed double-sided, it's about 250 pages, plus binding, I think it cost me like $40 in addition to the price of the book.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#442 of 1798 Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM

I caught my first baby.

That is all.

#443 of 1798 Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
I caught my first baby.

That is all.

Awesome!
#444 of 1798 Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 PM

onlyboys that's great!

SamGroom I just printed mine out double-sided on my printer. I figured it wouldn't be too bad if I did it on lower-quality and on recycled paper. Then I just hole punched and put in a binder.

#445 of 1798 Old 03-28-2008, 12:03 AM

yay onlyboys! :
how was it?

#446 of 1798 Old 03-28-2008, 12:05 AM

I have a client now that I cant for the life of me find a FHT. her baby is clearly growing just fine and kicking plenty.

I never had any problems before with other mamas, but this mama, I try with my Pinard Horn, Stethoscope, my ear on her belly... I can't hear nothing. In some places I think I can hear the placental swishing, and I start thinking it's just an anterior placenta.
thoughts?

#447 of 1798 Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I have a client now that I cant for the life of me find a FHT. her baby is clearly growing just fine and kicking plenty.

I never had any problems before with other mamas, but this mama, I try with my Pinard Horn, Stethoscope, my ear on her belly... I can't hear nothing. In some places I think I can hear the placental swishing, and I start thinking it's just an anterior placenta.
thoughts?
How many weeks is she?

Homebirth midwife
#448 of 1798 Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 AM

i'm finally starting my classes! my midwife (and now teacher) has put together a curriculum for the folks in this town who wish to delve deeper into traditional midwifery. we're a very small (~1400) and very tight-knit community and we're, minimum, an hour from a hospital, or anything of the sort, really. most of the community is very focused on self-sustainability, so this class is wonderful for us. the more we're educated...
there's 4 of us taking it, so far. 3 have been attending births with another midwife and have taken some of this woman's classes before. i'm new to the area and excited to get into the energy of midwifery. it's so beautiful.
we're also dealing with quite a bit of death in town right now, so it's so nice to balance that out, to recognize, be a part of, and honor the circle.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#449 of 1798 Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 AM

Majikfaerie
how many weeks pregnant is she? although I can often hear at 16 weeks sometimes it is fully 20 weeks before a baby can be heard well. A trick is when you palpate leave one hand on half of the uterus/ pressed in some this will keep the baby contained in the other half and easier to locate the heart tones.
#450 of 1798 Old 03-29-2008, 03:51 AM

mama is 21 weeks now, and I did try palpating to get a clearer heart tone. anyway, at 21 i'm not worried, since there's plenty of movement and growth is right on 'chart'. It's just the first time I've had a mama I could't hear FHT.
I don't really feel experienced enough to say 100% that she has an anterior placenta, but that's what it feels like

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page