Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1798 Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse08 View Post
thanks for your responses, tia & erika! i'm meeting with the director of the birth center today to go over my questions and to clarify expectations before making an official decision. i'm feeling hopeful :

question for the whole group: how would you envision your ideal practice? (location? volume? birthcenter/homebirth? particular population of clients? etc)

hope you're all having a great day
rachel
My ideal practice is pretty easy: group practice (this is non-negotiable for me; I will not spend my life on call). In the PNW. Good relationship with consulting docs. Hospital that does VBACs. Volume...not so important in a group practice, but I want to be busy. Ideally, I want to be salaried, so the pressure of seeing mroe patients in order to bill more is removed. I know of at least three practices around here that meet those criteria, so maybe someone will be needing a new CNM next June.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 1798 Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My ideal practice.....

I would like to have a practice where I am busy, but not crazy busy.... about 20 births a year or so. With any population where I can be myself and in any location where my husband can get a job after he graduates from school. I would like it to be a state with good laws for me. Other than that, I am super breezey about where in the country it is. While I don't want a group practice, I would like to work closely with the other midwives in the community. I would prefer homebirth setting.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#483 of 1798 Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Right after I graduate, my ideal practice would be a homebirth practice with one other CPM and two birth assistants/apprentices (each midwife would have primary supervision over one apprentice). 4 births a month (for the practice; not per midwife) sounds really nice. I would love to stay in NC and do this, because there is a HUGE need, due to the horrible laws.

In the future, after I get married (hopefully--God willing!) and my children have been raised and homeschooled, I would like to start a tiny nonprofit birth center for women who can't afford a private midwife. Each midwife and assistant would be salaried, and government funded, with very little money required from the clients. My dream is to have a 4-birth room "birth house" with a patch of woods and trails and flower gardens and such---all less than fifteen minutes from a VBAC and vaginal breech-friendly hospital. I would like to have a family practice doc on call for difficult deliveries like forceps or suturing a 4th degree tear, so women wouldn't have to transfer to the hospital unless it was for an epidural or a c-section. The midwives would be on call, and when a woman goes into labor, she would meet her midwife and assistant/apprentice at the BC; there wouldn't be staff there all the time (only for prenatals, births, and gyn exams). I know this is a lot to ask, but it is my fondest dream. Someday, somehow I will make it happen!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#484 of 1798 Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM

My ideal practice.....

I would like to have a practice with around 2 births a month maybe 3. In a location open to midwifery care preferably, which would mean a state that midwifery is legal in. I don't want a group practice,but hope to develop community and relationships that allow for back up and support. Ideally I would have a Dr/Naturopath back up support. I would prefer homebirth settings with the ability to care for my clients who choose a birth center setting.

I am still weighing the thought of licensure for myself, I have a few years till it is relevant. I do plan I think to certify although I have some issues with that as well... Ideally I would wish it were not such a political hot issue, even between midwives themselves...

Tia
#485 of 1798 Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would like a practice with a partner or assistant with 2-4 births a month. Hopefully by that time it will be legal here!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#486 of 1798 Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM

In a state where CPMs are legal, a modest solo practice with maybe 2 births/month would by my ideal.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#487 of 1798 Old 04-18-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
Right after I graduate, my ideal practice would be a homebirth practice with one other CPM and two birth assistants/apprentices (each midwife would have primary supervision over one apprentice). 4 births a month (for the practice; not per midwife) sounds really nice. I would love to stay in NC and do this, because there is a HUGE need, due to the horrible laws.

In the future, after I get married (hopefully--God willing!) and my children have been raised and homeschooled, I would like to start a tiny nonprofit birth center for women who can't afford a private midwife. Each midwife and assistant would be salaried, and government funded, with very little money required from the clients. My dream is to have a 4-birth room "birth house" with a patch of woods and trails and flower gardens and such---all less than fifteen minutes from a VBAC and vaginal breech-friendly hospital. I would like to have a family practice doc on call for difficult deliveries like forceps or suturing a 4th degree tear, so women wouldn't have to transfer to the hospital unless it was for an epidural or a c-section. The midwives would be on call, and when a woman goes into labor, she would meet her midwife and assistant/apprentice at the BC; there wouldn't be staff there all the time (only for prenatals, births, and gyn exams). I know this is a lot to ask, but it is my fondest dream. Someday, somehow I will make it happen!
: i would love, love, LOVE a practice like this, possibly in PA where legislative support for CPMs is severely lacking. the only thing i would change is having an OB as back-up for circumstances you mentioned, cuz those are situations where i would want a practitioner who is extremely experienced and OBs tend to have more training with these skills (at least at the hospital where i work, OBs are often called in when the family medicine docs have a particularly difficult case). i've already started thinking about what i'd like the birth rooms to look like and what i might name the center

one can dream
#488 of 1798 Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM

I'd like a HB practice, 2-4 births per month... it would be great to have a midwife 'partner' so we could back each other up but not actually share a practice. The midwives here do that and it works out well. A HB friendly doc would be a great plus (we have that here as well).

We actually have it really great here, except for the darn laws.
#489 of 1798 Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Hmmm. I have two different places I'd like to be. If we move back to the USA in 10+ years, I'd love to be doing 2-3 births a month. I'm not sure if I'd want a group practice or not. I'd like to do a birth center, but it seems that in the state where we'd end up, most of the CPMs are doing more birth centers and fewer homebirths.

But for now. I'd like to attend births as they come up. Not many homebirths here, yet it seems I've been asked to attend 2 of them in the past week though I have very little training. That's how desparate women are for homebirth midwives. (Have not said yes to either BTW... we'll see). But when I"m fully trained, I totally plan on being underground and happening to be there when the "baby falls out at home on accident... darn it just couldn't get to the hospital". I won't be as busy attending births but there is so much that needs to be done in other areas, like breastfeeding assistance (only 2 LCs in the country), that I can stay quite busy.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#490 of 1798 Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM

I think I have close to my ideal practice right now. My partner and I have a unique situation. We both left the practice we were apprenticing with last summer. My partner had just started her primary under supervision births and I had been there for a year. We got out own clients and hired various local midwives to supervise the births. There have been 4 different midwives that we've used and so we've had lots of exposure to different ways of practice. My partner is in Casa now for a month and then she should be done. I am doing a part time apprenticeship with another local midwife too and that's been really benificial for me.
In our own practice, we have 17 people giving birth with us this year, so far. That is really good for a new practice (around here)
Eventually when I'm done with my training, my partner and I will probably share call, but right now, i love attending births together. We have learned to work so well together and usually know what the other is thinking.
The only thing I'd like in the future....we currently do visits in our house and I am tired of having to make sure the house is clean before appointments.

Christa
#491 of 1798 Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 PM

That sounds great, Christa.

I have a question: Is anyone going to the Midwifery Today Conference in Michigan who lives near Northern IL? I don't know if Amtrak goes that way or if I'll drive, but I might just take me and baby and go 1-2 days. Wondering if anyone might want to share a ride. LMK!

#492 of 1798 Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 PM

I'm not sure if I count as a Midwifery Student yet...I've just started self-study, got a stack of books from the library and am currently making my way through Heart and Hands (which I love). However, it will probably be a few years before I am at a point of being able to apprentice with a midwife. I don't plan to go to any formal training schools.

So, having trudged halfway through Varney's Midwifery, but loved Heart and Hands, what can you all recommend for me next? I definitely prefer the style of Heart and Hands, it seems more like I'm being taught by a friendly midwife than like I'm reading a doctor's notes on the subject.
#493 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 AM

I'd like to be able to buy an old bed and breakfast somewhere near here and turn it into a birth center but also offer homebirth as well....maybe work with another midwife or two. When I get "well established" I want to take on apprentices and assistants because I think it's important to welcome the newer midwife students into the birth world too. Sometimes, the only way to gain birth experience is through a preceptor or mentor. I think doulas are very important and do great work but I didn't start out as a doula and the only birth experience I have is from the birth of my kids. It's like being 16 and wanting a car. First, you need a job in order to get the money to pay for the car...yet you need the car in order to drive to the job.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#494 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 AM

Hellga you're doing what I did for the last 2 years. Anny Frye's books are really in depth.

Just a dream, but. My DH's mom stands to inherit their families gorgeous pre-Civil war farm house. She wants to will it to one of the siblings, but no one wants it but my DH. It's in need of lots of repair that it would be so tempting to turn it into a birth center since it would have to be gutted anyway. But that takes lots of $$$. Just a dream.

#495 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 AM

awesome dream mr

btw, we'll be back in your neighbourhood in 10 days... a visit perhaps?

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#496 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Come on over! My DD has been babysitting your DD's dolly, which has been quite neglected I hate to say... it's been relegated to the crib that no one's using LOL

#497 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 AM

Hellga! I am a self study-er at the moment as well! I second the advice about Anne Frye's books. I am just starting Holistic Midwifery I. Maybe we can compare notes as we read and study!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#498 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM

I just did an interlibrary loan search and none of the libraries in our local network have anything at all by anne frye! :-(

Maybe soon I'll have the money to buy a used copy of Holistic Midwifery...I'd also love to buy myself a copy of Heart and Hands! I so want to keep this forever.
#499 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 03:02 PM

With the inter-library loan system, libraries should be able to get books from all around the country. Ask your librarian, because they are out there. There may be a small fee to cover postage, but you can find Holistic Mdiwfery for sure (vol 1), as that is how I first read it. I'm in Oregon, and it came from some college library in Illinois through my library. I've also gotten books from as far away as Georgia.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#500 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 03:42 PM

I dont count just yet as a midwifery student but I shall share my ideal practice. I would like to work with a partner who is my back up and my person to call, debreif, ask advice, run ideas by etc. I would like to do 4 homebirths /month, and quite a lot of well woman gyn. When my babes are little I would like to just do well woman gyn. I would ideally have an office out of my home for the Gyn and client meetings. Small and simple. I would always have an apprentice to work with. I would be a part of a network of holistic docs, practitioners, doulas etc.
#501 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Our library system is only connected to other libraries in northeast Kansas. However, I just found "If we don't have it, request it!" so I'm requesting a few books, Holistic Midwifery vols 1 and 2 included.

What thoughts do you all have on Ina May Gaskin's books? I've heard great things about her, but are her books readable?
#502 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ina May's books are classics, although at the time she was gathering info about birth not a lot was out there for midwives at least in the US and so what she gathered was quite medical, but I still respect her work greatly and I think she has continued to evolve, she wrote the forward to Sarah J Buckley's book "Gentle Birth, Gently Mothering" by far one of my favorites! Her books are certainly readable and I think every midwife, doula, & Mother should at least know what they say. Her 2004 book "Ina May's guide to natural childbirth" is a must have. The positive birth stories are always enjoyed by the gestating mamas who borrow it from me!
#503 of 1798 Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an update about my dilema with continuing w/school. I hope you all don't mind me using this as a place to express! I have studied birth for about 3.5 years now and done about 60 births over that time but I never got it all neat and tidy as far as paperwork goes. I was just exploring the path and that is where it led for me, then when I got serious that I would enroll in a program and do all the PAPERWORK things just took a turn. I pushed anyway for a while but finally realized that the universe was telling me something, to go another direction! Oh gosh we are so stubborn sometimes! So then instead of acting on this answer I just flip flopped with it for a good long while, but it has really been getting me down, not taking action. Knowing that I needed to follow that intuition, I finally called my school today and had a talk with the lovely administrator, and my conclusion is to withdraw, they are going to make a special circ. for me and refund most of my loan. I feel such releif, I have had lots of time to work thru some of the heart ache of just letting go, even though I knew it was the right thing it still hurt. Im just doing a lot of processing about my attachments about having the paper to call myself a midwife. I am a midwife. The Season for my life right now is to be at home and raise my growing family, I will continue to study and catch babies that come my way, and someday I see myself catching alot more, but I have grey hair in that picture.
#504 of 1798 Old 04-23-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
The Season for my life right now is to be at home and raise my growing family, I will continue to study and catch babies that come my way, and someday I see myself catching alot more, but I have grey hair in that picture.
Same here.

#505 of 1798 Old 04-23-2008, 10:42 AM

I think grey hair is beautiful on a woman

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#506 of 1798 Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellga View Post
Our library system is only connected to other libraries in northeast Kansas. However, I just found "If we don't have it, request it!" so I'm requesting a few books, Holistic Midwifery vols 1 and 2 included.

What thoughts do you all have on Ina May Gaskin's books? I've heard great things about her, but are her books readable?
What you are describing doesn't sound like inter-library loan to me, but just the library system that yours is connected to. Mine is connected to libraries in NE wisconsin, but when I request a book through ILL that book might come from one of the local college libraries or even libraries out of state. Usually they try to find them close first and then expand out. I have gotten books from most of the neighboring states. One of the only books I couldn't get through ILL was "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" as only 1 library (in Houston) in the whole country had it and they wouldn't lend it out.

I totally didn't know ILL was even around until Reha mentioned it about 1 1/2 years ago. At first I thought she was talking about using your libraries expanded system of libraries, but found out it was something different and something BETTER! It opened the possibility of so many more books for me!

Oh, and I consider requesting your library to buy books on midwifery and birth to be a public service No, really though. I just think of the newly pregnant woman looking for DVDs on birth and there is the normal "Pregnancy for Dummies" and then what is sitting next to it? Oh, a copy of "Birth in the Squating Position" that I requested they buy. Same thing with the books, it opens these books as possibilities to those who may not know they even exist. So, good work requesting those items being added! Everyone should take a moment and request their libarary buy their favorite birth books and movies

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#507 of 1798 Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 AM

Carrie-
I think you always have to do what is best for your family first and it sounds like that is what you are doing. Good for you.

I really do believe that midwifery is about everything you learn on the path. That includes the things you learn by raising your children and just living life. Some careers you waste time if you don't hurry up and sprint to the finish line, this is not one of those though! Every experience you have in life is going to help you be the best midwife you can be.

#508 of 1798 Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 AM

I decided not to go to the conference in MI. I really don't want to go alone that far from home. Especially with finances being extremely tight. We really don't need the cc debt.

I wish I could go, though! I joined the reading rooms on yahoo groups through AAMI and when we get our stimulus check, hopefully I can sign up through the monthly payment plans.

#509 of 1798 Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Does anyone know how I would go about becoming a midwife ??

hola.gif
#510 of 1798 Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Carrie, I'm so glad you made a decision you are content, if not happy with. Our babies are only little for a short while and growing and nurturing them takes sooooo much effort. As many older midwives have told me, this career will be waiting when this season of my life is over.

Anyone have any ideas on how to find a backup doctor to sign off on protocols and get a license in a state that requires such backup? I am finishing up my paperwork for graduation from National College of Midwifery and plan to take the NARM exam in August. Although I am not ready to start a practice, I still fantasize...

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page