Mothering Forum banner

Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!!

74K views 2K replies 133 participants last post by  maxmama 
#1 ·
Our other thread was really getting long and I thought maybe it'd be good to start a new one... appropriately on New Years Day 2008!

This year will be full of wonder for all of us, Dear Ones- I can just feel it!

May your studies progress most appropriately to completion with ease, may your eyes see clearly, may your hands touch gently, may your trust in birth bring comfort and support to the women, babies, and families you will touch this year.

J.

See less See more
#552 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
I wish they'd make this more affordable. But WOW, wouldn't this be great to have??

http://www.hopkinsmedicalproducts.co...|13340&id=2706

At the bottom of this page it says: Please note: This item is for professional use only. It is FDA approved. Does that mean DEMs can not buy this? I mean, not that I could afford it anyway...but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it.

Yikes that is expensive! FWIW, dopplers are FDA approved and they make it sound like you have to be a medical professional to buy them but you can get them easily enough. It just depends on that website I'd say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I took my NARM skills assessment test on Saturday, and I PASSED!!! Woohoo!!

It was much easier than I feared, and now I just have to pass the written exam in August.....
Congrats!! And best wishes on your written exam. I'm excited for you!

Shaina- I'm doing AAMI... I'm still working on orientation though but I like that it's distance and gets good reviews.

#554 ·
Hi Shaina... I'm also a Pan Anderson fan

I'm doing AAMI. Just enrolled in December so it's a little early to know true pros and cons. So far I like the quick communication. And I just love the fact that I can be selfstudy at the pace I want or need at the time.

#560 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Hi Shaina... I'm also a Pan Anderson fan

I'm doing AAMI. Just enrolled in December so it's a little early to know true pros and cons. So far I like the quick communication. And I just love the fact that I can be selfstudy at the pace I want or need at the time.
AAMI? could you spell that out for me

#563 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
It's something I've been thinking about for a long time, but only now am I getting "serious" about it. How does one even get into midwifery?
I believe Midwifery Today has a book on paths to midwifery that has been recommended. The first step (for me) was to decide what kind of births I wanted to attend (home vs hospital). In my state CNMs can't attend home and CPMs can't attend hospital. Since I'm adamant about being a HBMW, that meant CPM. Then it was just a matter of finding a school that would work... for my schedule, my pocketbook, and my state requirements.

#564 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I believe Midwifery Today has a book on paths to midwifery that has been recommended. The first step (for me) was to decide what kind of births I wanted to attend (home vs hospital). In my state CNMs can't attend home and CPMs can't attend hospital. Since I'm adamant about being a HBMW, that meant CPM. Then it was just a matter of finding a school that would work... for my schedule, my pocketbook, and my state requirements.
Paths to Becoming a Midwife... I highly recommend any aspiring/student midwife read it. I didn't buy it until I'd already determined I was going the DEM/CPM route and had already enrolled in AAMI and I still found it helpful.

#565 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
Paths to Becoming a Midwife... I highly recommend any aspiring/student midwife read it. I didn't buy it until I'd already determined I was going the DEM/CPM route and had already enrolled in AAMI and I still found it helpful.

I agree.
I read it after already making my decision on what path I wanted to follow but I still got alot out of it. Lots of good information that I think everyone should read.

#567 ·
Eco! How exciting! I really wanted to take Janice's class in Ann Arbor at the conference. It was a tough choice but I went with the sexual abuse courses instead. I hope she does another one soon....maybe I'll see you there!

#569 ·
Hi! This is cool! I am glad I found you all

Here is my intro:
Heather, 28 years old
I have a 22 month old and another babe on the way.
I am at the Frontier School. I am going to take a short break after the birth of this babe and then start my clinical in January. It feels good to see the light at the end of the tunnel

I live in Greensboro NC

#570 ·
Heather do you like Frontier? I wanted to do their program for a long time. My family is all from that area, so it's close to my heart.

Well, I wanted to start AAMI this summer. But then my tax returns are going to be $1000 less-so that's my money to start and then we are moving closer to home where I am quickly finding there are ZERO HB midwives within 2 hours.
:

#571 ·
Another intro here...

Im Sera, I've been contemplating different paths and made up my mind a few months ago. I am enrolled in Elizabeth Mazanec's Barefoot midwifery, previously advertised as "hands of light" ( i believe her school is in the book paths to becoming a midwife)

anyhow, the program seemed right for me, its a lot of self study, but you meet with the teacher and the other students one weekend a month for workshops/clinicals. I just had my first weeked, and it was amazing. So many awesome interesting women to learn with and from!

hoping to gain the same thing here...

Anyone have advice on getting an apprenticeship?

#572 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sg784 View Post

Anyone have advice on getting an apprenticeship?

Welcome!

The only advice I have is to just ask. Let the midwives in your community know who you are, what you need, and what you can offer. Even if they don't take you at this moment, they will most likely keep you in mind when an opening for an apprentice comes along. Just keep going with your school work and reading and being involved in birth... it all helps!

I got an apprenticeship based on pretty much a cold call to a midwife who I had never met before but lives about 40 miles from me. When I went to meet with her and her partner midwife, they took me on because of the fact that I had done a lot of work on my own and knew a bit about midwifery and was involved in the birth community.

#573 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Heather do you like Frontier? I wanted to do their program for a long time. My family is all from that area, so it's close to my heart.

Well, I wanted to start AAMI this summer. But then my tax returns are going to be $1000 less-so that's my money to start and then we are moving closer to home where I am quickly finding there are ZERO HB midwives within 2 hours.
:
I do like Frontier. I find it to be very flexible, and I have been able to work at my own pace. Which is nice. I also feel like I am getting a really well rounded and excellent education!

#574 ·
Did anyone use a resume when going in seeking an apprenticeship?

This summer I'll have an opportunity to meet with my SIL's midwife and was thinking of giving her my resume. I'd be able to do an apprenticeship in 3 or 4 years during our sabbatical in the USA. I'm thinking of asking what could I do to be desirable for her to want me to apprentice in a few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.