Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1798 Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
It is hard to wait, isn't it? I would give it 2 weeks and if you haven't recieved it, then make a call and see if it has been taken care of yet. I would bet they are probably a bit backed up because of the holidays. They are busy, busy women. I was so anxious to get going, it was so hard to wait for my stuff to arrive!
: But, you could also always drop Lori an email, just to ask a timeline of when you should expect it. The conference has us all super busy, bu Lori would be your woman for this question.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#62 of 1798 Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
Reha, hotwings or anyone else enrolled in AAMI... how long does it generally take to receive enrollment verification? I called Carla on the 1st to pay my tuition and I mailed my application that same day so I'm sure she's only just received it in the mail. Yes, I'm impatient!
I did everything by email, so it only took a day to get my student number, but it took a week after that before I started getting emails from Lori. So if they're just getting your application, go ahead and give them another week.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#63 of 1798 Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone! If I don't hear anything by the end of the week, I'll try emailing Lori (thanks for the tip Reha).

Heather- nice to "see" you again! And wow, what a break from births!

eco_mama- yay on the book!

To answer my own question... I'm aiming for CPM at this point. Our state doesn't have licensure, but it seems like a lot of states that do base their requirements on the CPM so it seems like a good goal... and we may end up in another state eventually anyway.
#64 of 1798 Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
It came! I wasn't expecting it (h. m vol 1) for a couple more days but I just got it! woohooo! :
woohoo!!!!
now I'm excited that maybe mine will come sooner too I could surely use something to cheer me up; I've had such a crap time since we got home from xmas vacation. - a cyclone hitting our home, me being sick, dp's computer not working, our phone line going down, I just now fell down the stairs and sprained my wrist and hurt my hip
so please please please!! send me fast postal vibes

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#65 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
woohoo!!!!
now I'm excited that maybe mine will come sooner too I could surely use something to cheer me up; I've had such a crap time since we got home from xmas vacation. - a cyclone hitting our home, me being sick, dp's computer not working, our phone line going down, I just now fell down the stairs and sprained my wrist and hurt my hip
so please please please!! send me fast postal vibes
OMGOsh! I hope things get better for you. When it rains, it pours doesn't it? I hate days (weeks) like that! Hope your wrist and hip feel better soon and that your book comes in the mail this week!!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#66 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Teachinmaof3 - Yes, it will be. I'm trying to contain my excitement because as someone who would personally choose to UC, I don't want her to feel pressured to have me there. I'm one of the few people she talks to about anything birth related so I try to be really respectful of what she needs, or doesn't need/want, from me. But I would so LOVE to be there.

Direct-entry question: NYS only offers CNM or CPM (CM actually) licensure and SUNY Downstate is currently the only program offering the Masters level CM study program. During the meet and greet last year (which I don't think I ever posted about) the CNM running the group felt that those of us who weren't already nurses, or in a nursing program, were just fine doing the CPM route. Apparently the jobs and responsibilities are the same for either title. I think that will take a little more investigation once I get closer to actually enrolling at DS.

--------

I posted this in the BP forum, but I'm going to ask here too:

What medical publications, if any and besides MT, do you subscribe to to keep abreast of current research in women's health?
#67 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNM2B View Post
Sarah--I have a 1 year old daughter and am starting a CNM program in March. I'm a bit nervous about how we'll coordinate her care, since we have no family in town. How did you manage with the clinical portion? What were the clinicals like as far as hours per week, etc.? What is the "integration" quarter? I'm anxious to learn more and haven't really met anyone that is almost graduated! Very excited for you!!
TIA! Jennifer
Hi Jennifer-

I have to say it hasn't been easy. DH's mother came and lived with us for 6 months, which helped, but then she moved again. We now have a great nanny share situation, but it has been expensive. Our priority was great, one-on-one-or-two care, and it has cost us! But worth it, of course. Also, my DH works from home so he has been able to do the morning routine with our daughter and is always here when the nanny leaves. He's fairly flexible, usually. I usually had 1/2 or 1 full day per week that I could be with her, as well, so the nanny was 3-4 days per week.

My clinicals started the second quarter (I'm talking about the actual midwifery portion, not my nursing school year). In the first (Fall) quarter, classes were 3 days a week, I think, and I needed an extra full day per week just for homework. We had 8 hours antepartum/postpartum clinic per week the second quarter plus all the classes. In the Spring, it was 1/2 day per week of ante/postpartum clinic, plus a 24-hour call shift at the same hospital. Summer off, but I took a few call days. This last Fall it was 8 hours a week of gyn clinic plus the 24-hour shift plus classes. This quarter it's 32 hours total of primary care clinic and the 24-hour shift, plus classes. Spring, the integration quarter, is when we are assigned to a practice, usually one or two midwives precept each student, and we just work as a student midwife full-time and don't have any didactic classes. We have one or two papers, but that's it. I'm also doing a graduate research project to get my MS, so that's a chunk of time, too. It's a lot of work overall.

I have to say it's hard being away from my daughter so much. I stayed at home with her until 14 months, which was a gift. Also, we breastfed until she was 3, so that was a special time each day when we could reconnect. I try to be available to her as much as possible when I'm "on". That is, I try to separate my homework time and time with her so I can be present.

We also have a fixer house that DH is trying to work on in the tiny little bits of spare time he has. He has been a trooper through it all; I could not have done it without his whole-hearted and unlimited support.

Sarah
#68 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touka View Post

What medical publications, if any and besides MT, do you subscribe to to keep abreast of current research in women's health?
This is the journal that I am lusting after right now: http://www.roundash.com/practisingmidwife/page.asp?id=1 It is ridiculously expensive, though, for a US subscription. Like over $200/year. It will be my treat to myself when I get paid from my first client on my own, I think.

But, other than MT, I also subscribe to Compleat Mother and Mothering, though the latter 2 aren't exactly full of research info. But, honestly, I am starting to grow tired of MT. I've been reading it now for over 6 years, and it seems like a lot of the information repeats itself. Of course, every once in a while, there is a gem of an article in there, so I continue to subscribe. It helps that I get a student discount from my school, so it is only $40/year.

Homebirth midwife
#69 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 04:21 PM

I find that the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health is generally good. It is from the nurse-midwifery standpoint, but I find it fairly balanced and holistic. There are often articles about homebirth, etc., in it and it gives a lot of good information about women's health and gynecology in general as well.

http://www.jmwh.com/

Sarah
#70 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Reha, just wanted to say thank you for the starter books list! Those should keep me busy for a while.

It's interesting you say that about Midwifery Today... it also seems that even though they say they don't publish something that's been somewhere else, that they are doing just that.

I did just read through the breech birth issue and my favorite parts were about the animal births! Anyone else like that section?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#71 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post

To answer my own question... I'm aiming for CPM at this point. Our state doesn't have licensure, but it seems like a lot of states that do base their requirements on the CPM so it seems like a good goal... and we may end up in another state eventually anyway.

Same with our state, and I'm planning on going the CPM route.

It's only Wednesday, and I've already put in 60 hours this week, between 2 births and a day of prenatals. : someone please tell me what I was thinking?

Christa
#72 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Well, and I find that more than anything, they reprint articles that were in older copies of MT (which is sometimes nice), but that they have a lot of people who tend to write the same old thing. And now they have a policy against publishing UC stuff, I heard. And, it really drives me crazy that 99% of the birth photos on the back cover are with the mother either on her back or semi-sitting, and the midwives' hands are all over the perineum during crowning. I know that some women really do prefer to be on their back and not upright, but in general, those photos to me are not what I see at birth most of the time. We actually submitted a client's birth photos that we took, and they are supposed to be printing at some point. She birthed her baby on her knees in the bathroom while we sat out in the hall snapping pictures. The only hands on her body or her baby are hers. They are so beautiful.

Homebirth midwife
#73 of 1798 Old 01-09-2008, 11:26 PM

it so irks me that MT doesnt show UC, but I get that UC is really not "midwifery"

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#74 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 AM

touka ~ How exciting!!

I haven't had the extra money to subscribe to anything other than Mothering and the free email issue of MT.
#75 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM

i haven't been able to subscribe to anything yet, other than mothering online.

speaking of UC, did any of you catch that clip of "Do-it-Yourself Deliveries" on ABC? a friend emailed it to me. here it is: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251...php?cl=5871316 the author of Pushed was on talking about her book too.
#76 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM

My personal opinion is that the story left a lot out. No mention at all of DEM/CPM attended homebirth (or even CNM attended HB for that matter). It was like DIY unassisted or go the hospital route. And that doctor was *awful* saying birth is the most dangerous moments of a woman/baby's life.

They did suggest CNM in the hospital as as alternative but that's not a big enough alternative for some birthing mothers and not even an option for others.

For example, where I live, the only CNM within 50 miles (who attends births) does not accept Hoosier Healthwise (aka Medicaid) so low-income moms don't have any choice but to go to an OB or choose one of the CPM/DEMs for a homebirth. If we could just get this legislation paid, Hoosier Healthwise mamas could have a homebirth paid by Medicaid and it would save all kinds of moolah!

Ugh, sorry. I think I got on my again.
#77 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM

Oh, and all the typos bugged me. Can't they do spellcheck?!
#78 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM

and the same things bugged me. that doctor and no mention of midwife attended homebirth.

i guess what can you expect of abc, right?
#79 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM

as i start HM i find myself really liking/agreeing what Anne says about the word, vagina. and how she refers to it now as (the sanskrit word) yoni. i never knew vagina mean't "the sheath of a sword." that was quite eye opening. i think i'll be changing to saying yoni as well. i find it much more appropriate.
#80 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM

I agree! When I read Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May refers to the vagina as "puss" which I really hated because every time I read the word I got images of "pus" as in white infectious material oozing out of a wound, NOT a vagina. But yoni sounds so intimate and womanly. I like it .

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#81 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Does anyone have a link to the recent homebirth safety study??
#82 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 PM

I talked with Carly Hartley a few weeks ago and we discussed my twin UC. She asked that I submit my birth story for her conference (which I still haven't done... I'm a procrastinator). And I said that would be fine because I doubt MT would appreciate UC pics of twins!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#83 of 1798 Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3 View Post
Does anyone have a link to the recent homebirth safety study??
Here's the link to the Full Text version:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7505/1416

If you want the abstract or abridged text version, just go to www.bmj.com and search "homebirth"; this study will come up and then you can choose what format you want to read it in.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#84 of 1798 Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 AM

Thanks!
#85 of 1798 Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to share that I am really starting this year on the right foot for schooling! I finished 2 big hunks of paper that were getting in my way the other night and am now just putting the finishing touches on my orientation for AAMI! Finally! I should be ready to send it in this week! I will feel so good once this is out of the way and then I can move on!

How do you all balance studying with being oncall though? This is the one thing I am running into, usually the best time for me to study or work on things is from about 10:30-2am or so, but I am on call right now for a mama who is quite a drive from me. I am never sure if I should go ahead and just study and drink lots of coffee in the event that I get called without any sleep, or if I should put off studying in order to get plenty of sleep so that I am fresh and ready to go at anytime. I would have to have someone go 2 weeks late and I missed out on 2 weeks worth of quiet study time in order to sleep though, you know? Although, maybe I am being ridiculous.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#86 of 1798 Old 01-13-2008, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any CNM programs that a person could enter into without being a nurse first? Having a BS in something else and then maybe there is a bridge program for non-nurse students? Any ideas?

Oh, and could someone tell me if the midwifery today website is down or is it just my server won't let the website through? I haven't been able to get on it at all for about 3 weeks.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#87 of 1798 Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 AM

There are a few of them around the country. It's called "graduate entry" or accelerated bacclaureate plus automatic admission into the grad program at some places. There's one at Yale, one at UC San Francisco, and one at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland. Some others, too, just not sure where.

Sarah
#88 of 1798 Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 AM

Hi everyone! So glad I found this thread because we can use all the support we can get, right? A little intro...

I'm 36 years old & continually amazed at how midwifery calls women of all ages to it's path!

I'm a nurse & birth doula looking to apply to UIC's CNM program next year....but I hope to start taking classes at-large this summer.

I have 3 kiddos, 4.5, 3 & 8 months.

I'm nervous about balancing family & school & work, like we all are, I'm sure, but thankfully my parents moved back to the area last year which makes this whole dream more apt to become reality. Childcare is always an issue!

That's about it, for now. I'm sure I'll mostly be a lurker but I may chime in every once in a while.

stephanie asl.gif

#89 of 1798 Old 01-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
How do you all balance studying with being oncall though? This is the one thing I am running into, usually the best time for me to study or work on things is from about 10:30-2am or so, but I am on call right now for a mama who is quite a drive from me. I am never sure if I should go ahead and just study and drink lots of coffee in the event that I get called without any sleep, or if I should put off studying in order to get plenty of sleep so that I am fresh and ready to go at anytime. I would have to have someone go 2 weeks late and I missed out on 2 weeks worth of quiet study time in order to sleep though, you know? Although, maybe I am being ridiculous.
This is totally a hard thing to balance. What I try to do is to not stay up too late while someone is due. 10-2 is also the time I have to study most days, so when I think we may have a birth, I might only stay up until 12:30 instead of 1:30 or 2. Of course, there is no guarantee and I have been tired a few times for a birth, but it is worth it to me to be getting schoolwork completed.

Homebirth midwife
#90 of 1798 Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Reha- thanks for the tip on contacting Lori! As it happens, my info had been misfiled... so now I'm receiving emails and waiting to get started!

Hello koru!

Hotwings- best of luck juggling... I think Reha has good advise. I actually find I'm better rested if I can go to bed around 9pm with the kids- then I wake up bright and early and get so much more done. But man, it is just nearly impossible for me to go to bed that early!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page