Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess what I did last night?

Yup! I went to a birth! : : :

I left my preceptor a bunch of messages over the last couple weeks and she never got back to me. I was resigning myself to the fact that this just wasn't going to work. The last message I left her, I told her that it was fine if she wasn't ready to take on an apprentice right now, just please let me me know. She called the next day and said she was going to do a home visit for a post dates mom and did I want to come? So I went and met the mom. An hour and a half after I got home, C called and said mom was in good labor and to head over. She had a beautiful baby girl 2 hours after I got there. It was so awesome! Mom labored so beautifully. She kept saying "gentle, gentle, open up and let the baby out gently" in this quiet voice. She was so calm and relaxed. I was REALLY impressed. I got to run around and be the gopher! Anyways, it was wonderful and I really think I'm supposed to do this.

When I got home my dh woke up. He was more excited than I was. He's really proud of me and is so happy that I'm finally starting.

Well, have a wonderful day. I have to study and get some house work done.

Peace and love to all of you! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Awesome!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
i was wondering what you ladies do at prenatals; like, what is your role?
BP, pulse, leopolds, fht, fundal height, checking urine (well, we usually do the UA together). Towards the end of their pregnancy, if they are comfortable with it, VEs. My preceptor threw me right in and started teaching me as soon as I started apprenticing. I like having her double-check the leopolds and fundal height. Sometimes I have the hardest time finding ladies' pubic bone and feel like I'm digging around down there.

We've practiced blood draws once but it's been a while. I did pretty good the first time I did it. lol

majik ~ Yay!!! Enjoy your new books!

dfiddlin ~ Congrats on attending a birth! Isn't that "I know I'm supposed to do this" feeling wonderful!?!?!?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM

MamaRabbit, aren't you in Thailand? There is someone over in Birth Professionals looking for a midwife in (I believe) Phuket, Thailand.

cfiddlinmama, how exciting! Congrats!

Majikfaerie, glad you got your books. Right now I'm trying to figure out what the best way is for me to really study it. I've started reading but I feel like I need to be doing more.

I just finished reading all the birth stories in Spiritual Midwifery. They were great.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Majik, that's awesome!!! How much did the shipping set you back for??? If it's not too bad, it's probably better than lugging it back from the USA in a suitcase!
the shipping was US$19.96, for the 2 massive HM books and one other paperback.
even with the shipping it was cheaper to buy them from the states than here. Since the US $ is so low, lots of things that used to cost about the same here as there are now much cheaper to buy and have shipped from the states. :

cfiddlinma! congrats on your first birth!!!

I've gotten to the point where I have enough clients going that I bought a folder and started putting in notes in neat, organised binders, rather than just keeping stuff in my head, or scrawled in a notebook.
I have 3 active clients atm, that I am soley responsible for.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the excitement! I'm hoping I can keep a little momentum going with this apprenticeship. I'm looking into getting a cell phone. We live in the boonies and you can't get service in our town. It would be for when I'm out and about. It will be good to have, it's just a little scary to commit to another chunk of $ every month. Does anyone have just a pager? Is it cheaper? Or is it not worth it cause you have to find a phone if you get paged? I can get a Trac Phone for cheap, but the minutes are so expensive. I think I should just get the $40 plan from T-Mobile. I haven't had a cell in 3 years since I moved back east..... Sorry for thinking out loud on here.

Hotwings, I'm sorry your kids were sick. That's just no fun. It's kinda better when they all get it at once though. I really hate it when they drag it out over 2 weeks.

majik - that's awesome about your books. I only have V1. I can't wait until I can get V2!

Reha - what's Wood's maneuver? I probably should look it up huh? My preceptor and I were talking about how all the different maneuvers and body parts are named after people. She thinks they should be named after what they do, or their action is. She thinks it would be much easier for the student to remember that way. I'm with Ina May - they're not Bartholin's glands, they're the woman's glands.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM

cfiddlinmama, How often would you actually be in range with your cell?
We got ours when we were living on the road and needed a way for DP's boss to contact us, but now we are settled in, and dont have range at home, I wouldn't get a cellphone.
basically, we pay the minimum monthly rate, and still dont manage to use up the minutes that it comes with as part of the package. i find myself at the end of the month just calling people randomy, to use up my minutes, since they expire at the end of the month anyway
Its pretty rare that anyone manages to call us on it, since we hardly ever go into range. I guess my point is; if you spend a lot of time in range (and otherwise not at home or contactable) then it might be a good idea for when you're on-call. but if its for that teeny chance on rare occasions, I'd save the $$ for V2 or a new fetoscope, or something.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 PM

So, I just need some happy, good vibes. Things (that I don't want to speak of right this second) are happening for me in a way that feels a bit out of control.

It's as if my aspirations to be a midwife have taken over without my consent. This is good, but FAST and I don't know if I'm ready. In the meantime, though, all is well here and I look forward to getting back in here.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Happy Birthday to me!!! I'm 18 today, and I have Amazon gift cards to spend on midwifery books!!! Yippee!

Here is my list: (by the way, HM I & II isn't on the list because I am waiting for my doula birth fee in 2 weeks--$300 will buy me both of them--YAY!!!)

Skills for Midwifery Practice
The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives
The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child

onlyboys- good happy vibes coming to you! And hello to everyone else-I'm sorry I don't post here often, but I am so happy I can come here and lurk as well as share my excitement about midwifery with someone! My mom is SUPER supportive of me going into midwifery but even she gets tired of me constantly talking about birth! I love y'all!

Oh, by the way--- My parents actually said that for graduation from highschool (homeschool), I could go to a Midwifery Today conference (they would pay!!!) in lieu of a senior trip!!!!!! I am absolutely bursting with excitement!!! I can't wait!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
Reha - what's Wood's maneuver? I probably should look it up huh? My preceptor and I were talking about how all the different maneuvers and body parts are named after people. She thinks they should be named after what they do, or their action is. She thinks it would be much easier for the student to remember that way. I'm with Ina May - they're not Bartholin's glands, they're the woman's glands.
I agree about the names of a woman's body parts. :
Woods corkscrew maneuver is a technique used to resolve shoulder dystocia.

Homebirth midwife
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
So, I just need some happy, good vibes. Things (that I don't want to speak of right this second) are happening for me in a way that feels a bit out of control.

It's as if my aspirations to be a midwife have taken over without my consent. This is good, but FAST and I don't know if I'm ready. In the meantime, though, all is well here and I look forward to getting back in here.
:

Homebirth midwife
Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
Happy Birthday to me!!! I'm 18 today, and I have Amazon gift cards to spend on midwifery books!!! Yippee!
Happy Birthday!!!!

And YAY about the conference!!

Homebirth midwife
Old 01-19-2008, 03:14 PM

This is my GYN quarter, so I haven't done any birth/pregnancy stuff this quarter, but thanks to slow residents, I did catch a couple of babies by accident at work recently. But Friday I got to put in two IUDs! It was strangely satisfying.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 01-19-2008, 03:41 PM

I like the gyn stuff, too. IUDs are a little scary to put in! I've done about 10 and it still makes my heart race every time.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Serenity View Post
Tia
AAMI #1940
Hey! I'm #1949...
Old 01-19-2008, 10:58 PM

Birthisawesome

happy birthday!
that sounds.... awesome!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

cfiddlin... SO exciting!!

There you go!

J.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Old 01-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
maxmama, if you need more practice, I could really use an IUD

birth is awesome: Happy Birthday! and what an awesome graduation gift as well!

I want to make it to some sort of conference one of these days. I really wanted to go to the Trust Birth conference, but that just isn't going to work out this year. I think I will be heading to Casa instead, so my finances will be going a different direction.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Happy birthday birthisawesome! Enjoy all the books!

cfiddlin- congrats on the birth! I know you've been waiting a long time!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I fully intend to enjoy all my books and the conference!!! I won't be able to go to Philly, I'm too busy with school, and I can't go to the one in May because it's the week one of my doula clients are due. Sooo--I'm waiting for the fall 2008/spring 2009 conference dates to come out.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
Sooo--I'm waiting for the fall 2008/spring 2009 conference dates to come out.
MSTM offers a weekend retreat in August if you're interested. Joyce and I are planning to attend. You don't have to be a midwife to be there. Here is last year's info:

http://traditionalmidwife.com/07.html

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 PM

Jumping on board this thread with my intro...

I'm Ashley, 29, four kiddos~ 8, 6, 4, and 18mos (all born at home). I'm currently at Frontier in the ADN-MSN Bridge program. I'll start actual midwifery stuff this spring. I work at a free-standing birth center as an RN...it!!

Well that's me. Thanks for re-starting this thread!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:28 PM

birthdance! I'm wondering if you work at the birth center where my dear friend is planning to give birth in May. She just moved to the triange area from Indiana.

birthisawesome- I'm hoping to attend the Christian Midwives Intl conference here in Indiana. It's April 30-May 3... Shonda Parker, Jan Tritten of MT and others will be there. It's only a 45 minute drive for me (I go to that area for births) and lodging/meals are included in the conference price so it's a good deal. My big issue is being separated from my kids that long... and dd2 is still nursing so I have to figure that out. I wish I could go to the Trust Birth conference but it's just too far and too much money for me right now (travel, lodging etc)...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
birthdance! I'm wondering if you work at the birth center where my dear friend is planning to give birth in May. She just moved to the triange area from Indiana.
Yup! We're the only free-standing bc in NC. I'd love to be her nurse!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
Yup! We're the only free-standing bc in NC. I'd love to be her nurse!!
Cool! She's really excited about a BC birth after three hospital births. She posts here sometimes on MDC, I'll have to let her know you're here.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 PM

There is also the MANA conference in MI. Oct 16-19. I'm planning to attend that one and/or the MSTM retreat that Jen mentioned.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Is anyone here becoming a CNM vs. CPM? And how have you found your program? CPMs are illegal in Illinois & since I'm already an RN I've decided to go the CNM route. I'm starting to become nervous, though, about the program & if it will meet my needs. I want to attend homebirths & from what I understand, most CNM programs don't even touch on this arena. So any CNM students out there? What are your thoughts?

stephanie asl.gif

Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM

Hey wonderful women! Guess where I just got back from? Birth #2!!!! I'm running on 40 min. of sleep. I got to be primary/only assistant for this birth. It went very smoothly and beautifully. One interesting thing that I witnessed: The BOW was bulging out while she was pushing. The baby had passed some mec and I could see it swirling around in the water! Babe was vigorous though gurgley. Pinked up great. So no ill effects of the mec. It was just kinda neat to see. Biggest thing I learned: That it wasn't her mucous plug, it was the outer layer of the amniotic sac that had burst and was coming out. The inner layer was still intact. It seriously looked like a long thick mucous glob. Oops!

Send patient vibes for my dh if you would. He was freaking out on me when I was leaving. He apologized when I got home. Even though he's supportive of me in his mind and words when we talk about it, I think the reality of it is going to be a big adjustment. I drove to the birth thinking that I wouldn't be able to continue with this. Everything worked out fine and he only missed an hour of work. He just gets really stressed about money, etc. Just think some positive thoughts; say some prayers for him please!

Kids are watching a movie so I'm gonna crash on the couch for a few minutes. Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Is anyone here becoming a CNM vs. CPM? And how have you found your program? CPMs are illegal in Illinois & since I'm already an RN I've decided to go the CNM route. I'm starting to become nervous, though, about the program & if it will meet my needs. I want to attend homebirths & from what I understand, most CNM programs don't even touch on this arena. So any CNM students out there? What are your thoughts?
Hi Stephanie-

I am becoming a CNM; there a few of us on here. From my understanding Illinois is a hard place for CNMs (or anyone, obviously) to attend homebirths. In other states it is easier. I am hoping eventually to incorporate homebirth into my practice here in Oregon, where there are CNMs very legally doing homebirth, but most often without insurance.

Can you ask the midwives in the program you are looking at about it?

Sarah
Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
One interesting thing that I witnessed: The BOW was bulging out while she was pushing. The baby had passed some mec and I could see it swirling around in the water! Babe was vigorous though gurgley. Pinked up great. So no ill effects of the mec. It was just kinda neat to see. Biggest thing I learned: That it wasn't her mucous plug, it was the outer layer of the amniotic sac that had burst and was coming out. The inner layer was still intact. It seriously looked like a long thick mucous glob. Oops!
Kids are watching a movie so I'm gonna crash on the couch for a few minutes. Have a wonderful day!
Wow!! That would be very cool to see. Did you have to break the BOW? I'm sure we'll learn something new at each birth! Hope you get some sleep!! I think my hubby will be the same way about me leaving while he is at work. I have a great network of neighbors that I might have to rely on! Most are SAHMs.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)

User Tag List