Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 60 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1771 of 1798 Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My name is Hayley. I am a birth doula and aspiring midwife. I'm planning to go to the Midwifery Today Conference in Eugene, OR in March. I'm wondering if any of you are going or know someone who is or know someone who lives in Eugene who I could stay with while I'm there for the conference. I'd love to share a hotel with anyone interested or even crash on someone's couch. I really just need a place to sleep. I've got everything else figured out i.e. paying for the conference, meals, airfare (free airmiles from a friend), transportation (bus). I just don't have a lot of money, like most of us, so I wanted to at least share a room with someone. Let me know if you know of anything or want to share a room! I'm clean, sweet, and won't bother you...Thanks for reading/considering.:
#1772 of 1798 Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 PM

cfidd- I was thinking of you when I was hearing on the news about the storm. It's good to hear you're warm and safe!

I'm really excited... this morning I attended my first repeat client as BA... and it gets better! Today's baby was born one year to the day after his big sister. And to top it off, mom pushed for two pushes this time instead of 3 hours and didn't need stitches this time. It was just awesome. : This is my 4th birth this month (well, since 11/27) and I have 4 more to go... busy busy!

: Stay warm all!
#1773 of 1798 Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM

: yeah Michelle!!! How cool! I bet the mom was so thrilled with that birth. Well, you are certainly living up to your name!

MotherBirthDoula, I am going to the conference in March too! I can't wait. There are so many awesome classes and I love connecting with other midwives. I feel so recharged and peaceful when I'm at a conference.... so many like-minded people all in one room! It's refreshing!

We've secured our group of 4 but if something changes, I'll let you know. Hope to get to meet you there!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#1774 of 1798 Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM

not birth related...

Cfiddlinmama-where in NE are you? There are parts of my area that are out of school to next year! We got lucky and were in a rain pocket but down by the orchard in our town got destroyed. Its so weird that it is in pockets. Hope you get your power back soon.

Heather
#1775 of 1798 Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Heather, are you in Fitzwilliam? Cfiddlin and I are in Richmond. We could get power tonite or not til next week! Jaffrey is off school til Jan 5th. Hope you are keeping warm!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#1776 of 1798 Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 PM

time4another, I live in SW NH. We got hit pretty badly, but east of us got hit even worse. We got our power back Tuesday night. The Eastern half of my town still doesn't have their power back. The positive side to all this is I really needed to defrost and clean my freezers, but kept putting it off since they were still full. Well, I got that all taken care of. We were able to save all our meat (we buy in bulk from a farmer.) I lost a lot of bread and veggies and convenience foods, but it was minimal compared to what it could have been. It's really sad and scary to me how reliant we all are on electricity. I'm just really grateful that we have heat (wood stove and passive solar when the sun shines.) My mom has a hand pump on her well so we were able to drive over and get water. We were pretty well off compared to a lot of people. The town just west of me wasn't hit at all. It was weird how it did hit in pockets...

I had fun studying by candle light - I felt connected to the midwives of the past. If found that not having electricity for 5 days was actually a positive thing for my family. We played a lot of games with our kids, took a much needed break from watching movies, etc.

Anyway, this is totally off topic so I'll stop.

I've been reading a lot and finishing up my initial assignments w/AAMI so I can move onto the next phase in January. I really can't believe that Christmas will be here so soon. I need to get my rear-end in gear...

I hope you are all well and warm!
#1777 of 1798 Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 AM

mammarabbit- CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am considering coming July and staying for 6 months. I would really like to come in June but the clinic seems to be very busy and full that month already. I may try to come to Bali but not start volunteering until July. We'll see! So exciting for you to be there. It is awesome. I would love to be there with you, too!

majik- why can your DH not come? they are very accommodating about families.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#1778 of 1798 Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 AM

I did it. I'm officially a student midwife. I'm starting AAMI. I don't know why, but committing to something like this is a really big deal for me. I'm terrified of failure, so I'm sure I'll be here a lot looking for support!!

I hope you ladies have all recovered from the storm. I hear there's more coming!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#1779 of 1798 Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
majik- why can your DH not come? they are very accommodating about families.
it's nothing to do with bumi sehat.
my dp is Israeli. Israel and Indonesia have no peace agreement (and as it turns out, war is the legal default ), and therefore Israelis can not enter Indonesia (and vice versa). it's very restricting for us. he can't enter, use the airlines of, or even take flights that include a stopover or refuelling stop in about 20% of the world countries
hopefully, by mid 2010, dp will get australian citizenship, and then we'll be fine. but in the meantime, if I want to do bumi sehat, (and I DEARLY want to), it has to be without DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I did it. I'm officially a student midwife. I'm starting AAMI. I don't know why, but committing to something like this is a really big deal for me. I'm terrified of failure, so I'm sure I'll be here a lot looking for support!!
welcome and congrats!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#1780 of 1798 Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM

welcome MNmom!

majik- that must me difficult. How sad that war is the default.

so~ what midwifery things is everyone hoping to recieve for the holidays?

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#1781 of 1798 Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
Congratulations!! Welcome to the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
he can't enter, use the airlines of, or even take flights that include a stopover or refuelling stop in about 20% of the world countries
Wow. I had no idea about that. That must be terribly difficult.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#1782 of 1798 Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 AM

I am subbing to this group. I have decided to apprentice with a local hb midwife and am expecting to attend my first birth with her in the next couple of weeks.

I am so excited.

~Carla~ LOVING~ LIFE~
Homebirthing, somewhat crunchy, single mom of ~5~.
#1783 of 1798 Old 12-24-2008, 04:22 AM

peachy, that's exciting!!!

mntnmom, welcome to AAMI, you won't fail!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#1784 of 1798 Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM

did everyone have a good holiday? What are you planning for the new year as far as midwifery goes?

#1785 of 1798 Old 12-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Today I've been planning out my longterm goals for submissions for school. Long range goals. And of course the big plans for next year will be getting ready for going to Bali, being in Bali, leaving and of course wishing I could go back

#1786 of 1798 Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
did everyone have a good holiday? What are you planning for the new year as far as midwifery goes?
Well, plans at this point are much different than I expected. I had expected to be traveling around to do some 'apprenticing' but I think I've found a local preceptor. :

January looks to be a busy month as birth assistant and I'm also looking at getting my impacted wisdom teeth removed . I am hoping to start apprenticing this spring with a midwife I just met and I'm really excited about that.

So my goals for 2009 are to apprentice and get a decent amount of AAMI work done. In 2010 I'm hoping to take the Farm adv workshop, finish apprenticing and maybe even finish AAMI a few months early. :

Life has a way of changing my plans though, so who knows how things will pan out.
#1787 of 1798 Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We had a wonderful holiday! How about you?

This next year will be a busy one for midwifery. I am sending in my PEP in 3 weeks (I am waiting to get my financial aid check to pay for it). I will then be preparing for and taking the skills exam and then preparing for and taking the written exam in August. I am apprenticing yet and doing both assisting and taking my own clients under supervision. There is a decent chance that we may move as well this next year as my husband is finishing his degree this spring and will be looking for a new job. So, if everything falls into place, I will be setting up my own practice in a new location.

I have been working away at my AAMI stuff. I have begun to wonder if I will ever officially finish the program or not. I have decided to just keep on working on it though and see where I end up by the end of my time and if I want to pay to extend my time or not.

I am really excited about this upcoming year!!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#1788 of 1798 Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM

I finish my CNM program in June and am sending out CVs as we speak. I'm so glad I only have to write two more enormous tuition checks!

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#1789 of 1798 Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 AM

i'm new here...
i have been taking "baby-steps" towards midwifery my whole life. the steps have become a bit bigger since the birth of my first (and for now only) child, dd who is 20 months old. we moved this summer, so i am slowly integrating into our birth community. am excited to learn. i have been busy getting pre-reqs finished before enrolling in a CNM program.

my goals for 2009, complete more pre-requisite classes, begin communicating more with the local CNM program, complete DONA certification and possible complete Midwifery Assistant workshop at The Farm.

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#1790 of 1798 Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
I finish my CNM program in June and am sending out CVs as we speak. I'm so glad I only have to write two more enormous tuition checks!
Congrats! I have about 2 years to go until I finish my CNM program! What kind of position are you hoping to get???

Wife to Mike, Mom to DD 4, RN and Student Nurse-Midwife.  Expecting #2 on 11/27/2011.
#1791 of 1798 Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM

wow- everyone is making such progress! It's so exciting hearing about other students finshing up- it gives me hope that one day I'll be finishing up too!

I'm planning out my year~ hoping to go to casa in the summer (or maybe next fall) to get more practical experience, and in the meantime doing more training to be a better birth assistant. I'm also still considering a distance program even though it won't count, just to be learning something! We're supposed to have our closing in the beginning of january, then we may take a small student loan to pay for casa, and other things I will need. I'm also busy doula-ing and learning all I can! It's looking to be a VERY busy year.

#1792 of 1798 Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We had a great holiday! Hope you did too. The weather was great wasn’t it?

2009 is going to be a good year : I can just feel it! I am attending the DONA doula training in Jan and will start at FSTM in August! I am pretty sure I will be laid off my job in the next 4-6 months and once that happens, I plan to start my apprenticeship with my preceptor and offer my doula services to low income women who are in need but can’t afford the services. This will allow me to help out women in need while gaining experience too.

Looking forward to the next year and all the exciting midwifery steps I will be taking.
#1793 of 1798 Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hello Mamas, I've been lurking and longing to be with you. I'm trying to work it so that I can apply to the midwifery program here in Ontario. Right now I'm working towards my doula certification. Must run and change a baby who has a tummy bug! You are all an inspiration! Much to learn here.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#1794 of 1798 Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM

hi Surfacing~ Welcome!

#1795 of 1798 Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM

Surfacing!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#1796 of 1798 Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks! Y'all know how to make a gal feel welcome!:

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#1797 of 1798 Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM

New 2009 student midwife thread!!!!

It's already 2009 over here and I just had to get a new one going!

#1798 of 1798 Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNM2B View Post
Congrats! I have about 2 years to go until I finish my CNM program! What kind of position are you hoping to get???
Group practice, hopefully full-time, benefits. My family doesn't have health insurance if I don't provide it, so that is one of the necessary parts.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page