Mothering Forum banner

Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!!

74K views 2K replies 133 participants last post by  maxmama 
#1 ·
Our other thread was really getting long and I thought maybe it'd be good to start a new one... appropriately on New Years Day 2008!

This year will be full of wonder for all of us, Dear Ones- I can just feel it!

May your studies progress most appropriately to completion with ease, may your eyes see clearly, may your hands touch gently, may your trust in birth bring comfort and support to the women, babies, and families you will touch this year.

J.

See less See more
#1,478 ·
Hey all!

I am a future AAMI student, was going to wait until tax return time to pay in full. I heard that the tuition is going up at the end of the year, however. If that is the case and the full tuition now is going to be less than the pay in full in full price after the increase, I might as well do a payment plan and start now (geez, I hope that made sense to someone
)

My question is, does anyone have any information about when/how much the increase is?

#1,479 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Ladies!!!!!!! I talked to my hopefully future preceptor today!!!! She is everything I had hoped she would be: amazing, inspiring, and wonderful! We are going to meet in person in a couple months, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!
:
:
:

That's how I feel about my preceptor. She's so incredible and inspiring. I love being around her just because of the awesome energy and learning experiences.

#1,480 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post
Hey all!

I am a future AAMI student, was going to wait until tax return time to pay in full. I heard that the tuition is going up at the end of the year, however. If that is the case and the full tuition now is going to be less than the pay in full in full price after the increase, I might as well do a payment plan and start now (geez, I hope that made sense to someone
)

My question is, does anyone have any information about when/how much the increase is?
Um. . .it DID make sense, but have you seen this thread? http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=985127
I wonder if you could get in with some discount in our group even though you don't have the full payment. . .

#1,481 ·
channelofpeace - Carla was offering a discount for single students too. I think the deadline has passed. You might want to send her an email and see if she's still willing to give it to you. I know she was accepting payments on the individual discount. Worth a shot anyway right? I don't know how much the tuition is going up.

feminine_earth - That's so exciting!
:

Yehudit

fairydoula - I want a tree tattoo for my next one. I probably won't be getting one for a long time now that I'm starting midwifery school though. Oh well, I'd rather be a midwife than have more tattoos.

#1,482 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Um. . .it DID make sense, but have you seen this thread? http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=985127
I wonder if you could get in with some discount in our group even though you don't have the full payment. . .
From what I understand, the discount is only for payment in full
That thread is what prompted me to find out about increase. I am really eager to get started, but am trying to get in on a good deal, too. How I wish I had $2300!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
channelofpeace - Carla was offering a discount for single students too. I think the deadline has passed. You might want to send her an email and see if she's still willing to give it to you. I know she was accepting payments on the individual discount. Worth a shot anyway right? I don't know how much the tuition is going up.
Thanks for the info. I'll see if perhaps there is anything I could arrange with her.

#1,485 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
fairydoula, did i see you at Suzanne Arm's speech? i thought i recognized you in the front of the room.
Well, if I weren't braindead, I could remember who you are and say yes, I saw you there too.... but I don't remember who you are! I know I know this... but I've had about 1.5 hours sleep average over the last two days/nights and I'm wiped!
I had prenatals and stuff today and my kids have had birthday parties to go to, and I still have to make dinner b4 I can sleep!!!
I was at K-zoo for Suzanne Arms... I was wearing jeans and a purple shirt and gray vest.
- Jen

#1,486 ·
I have mixed feelings about the Anne Frye Diagnostic Testing book I have and about the prospect of buying 10+ year old textbooks for school.

I really like her writing style & I like the, well, holistic/through nature of her information. I don't like that there are some things to which I have found pretty solid evidence against and I don't like that there's so much missing from the books only because they are 10+ years old. I also don't like the price of volume 2.

Are they *required* for AAMI? Is it OK to read a book that I really like even if there is bound to be some incorrect info therein? I'm thinking yes, because there's so much knowledge to be had in the book that I couldn't get elsewhere and I will just need to be sure to double check things whenever possible. . .

thoughts?

#1,487 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post
Well, if I weren't braindead, I could remember who you are and say yes, I saw you there too.... but I don't remember who you are! I know I know this... but I've had about 1.5 hours sleep average over the last two days/nights and I'm wiped!
I had prenatals and stuff today and my kids have had birthday parties to go to, and I still have to make dinner b4 I can sleep!!!
I was at K-zoo for Suzanne Arms... I was wearing jeans and a purple shirt and gray vest.
- Jen
ok cool. i thought it was you. i had to leave at 8pm to put my kids in bed so i'm sure you didn't even see me anyways. i was in the back row, behind janice. wearing a purple shirt and gray sweater - hey we wore the same colors. funny! (oh and i went to the birthnetwork meeting in marshall for the showing of BOBB. then the next month danita and i showed up but nobody else did, so there was no meeting--and she was moving so i guess there just wasn't enough interest.)

#1,488 ·
Quote:

Are they *required* for AAMI? Is it OK to read a book that I really like even if there is bound to be some incorrect info therein? I'm thinking yes, because there's so much knowledge to be had in the book that I couldn't get elsewhere and I will just need to be sure to double check things whenever possible. . .

thoughts?
Yes, for AAMI HM 1 & 2 are both required. There is really no way around them as you will need them for 2 of the major assignments. You will have room on these assignments where you can talk about if they are untrue and where the actual facts are though, so you will learn plenty

The cost of vol 2 isn't so bad when it is compared directly to other textbooks and the thing is huge with tons of info. I think it is well worth the read, even if in the end it isn't your favorite text.

#1,489 ·
Bella Vie Gentle Birth Center in currently seeking 2 apprentices.
www.GentleBirthCenter.com

•Candidates should be reliable, resourceful, mature, thoughtful, and dedicated;
•They should be hard workers that are clear about wanting to be a part of a fast paced midwifery practice with multiple midwives that take the time to nurture women and their families;
•They should be clear that we desire positive relations and a family feel within our staff;
•They must be able to live an "on-call" lifestyle;
•They must be available 3 days in the clinic assisting with prenatal appointments and birth center tasks as well as additional time in attendance of births and postpartum care;
•They must live within 30 minutes drive from the birth center;
•They should be good communicators that get along with others easily (even when they are tired

•They will need to have significant midwifery knowledge and the eagerness to learn more;
•They will be given plenty of opportunities to have hands on experience and their questions answered;
•They will be given chart review time with a midwife and the other students monthly;
•There is no charge or pay for this apprenticeship, and it needs to be understood that an apprenticeship is an exchange; an opportunity for education and experience.

***Please send an email to Patricia pcmidwife@gmail.com expressing interest and experience including your contact information and we will contact you.

#1,490 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Yes, for AAMI HM 1 & 2 are both required. There is really no way around them as you will need them for 2 of the major assignments. You will have room on these assignments where you can talk about if they are untrue and where the actual facts are though, so you will learn plenty

The cost of vol 2 isn't so bad when it is compared directly to other textbooks and the thing is huge with tons of info. I think it is well worth the read, even if in the end it isn't your favorite text.
heh, that's kinda what I figured. It will make me want to get a very new obstetric text though, in addition, which will be another $100-200. It's a good thing I love buying books
I do already have Varney's 4th and Ambulatory Obstetrics so I can probably put off William's (or whichever) for a while.

Anyone have tips as to the cheapest place to get them? I was thinking of just ordering from Midwifery Today and be done with it.

#1,491 ·
Quote:

thoughts?
You'll absolutely need them. In fact, you won't be able to do any section 4 work until you have HM1. You'll be able to voice your thoughts on discrepancies- the course is all about teaching you to think and dissect information!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms. patricia View Post
Bella Vie Gentle Birth Center in currently seeking 2 apprentices.
www.GentleBirthCenter.com
What a beautiful birth center!

#1,492 ·
Quote:

Anyone have tips as to the cheapest place to get them? I was thinking of just ordering from Midwifery Today and be done with it.
I always shop around... I like checking bigwords.com (ISBN searches work best if you're shopping for a particular edition) and the amazon.com marketplace. Sometimes though I just opt to buy new (I bought all my Frye books new and my mom bought me the 4th ed of Varney's new for my birthday- mostly on Amazon).

I just keep my eyes peeled for a deal... earlier this year I was able to get the newest edition of Frye's diagnostic tests brand new for less than I would have paid for a used copy of the previous edition.

#1,493 ·
Thanks guys

Did someone already post the required booklist to the thread? I've tried searching, but I think because I don't have a paid sub I can only effectively use one search term and "required" gets me many more results than I want to sift thru

#1,494 ·
Quote:

Did someone already post the required booklist to the thread? I've tried searching, but I think because I don't have a paid sub I can only effectively use one search term and "required" gets me many more results than I want to sift thru

You mean the required reading list for AAMI? No, it hasn't been posted because it is part of the agreement we all signed with AAMI that we won't repost the information anywhere. We can tell you that HM1 & 2 are part of the required list, or that such and such is optional (if you ask), but we can't post a list.

#1,495 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
You mean the required reading list for AAMI? No, it hasn't been posted because it is part of the agreement we all signed with AAMI that we won't repost the information anywhere. We can tell you that HM1 & 2 are part of the required list, or that such and such is optional (if you ask), but we can't post a list.
I suggest calling or emailing Carla or Lori if you want more info on the book list (to whoever had originally asked this.....)

#1,496 ·
Synchro - I'd be curious to hear what you didn't like about Understanding Diagnostic Tests.

Do you all think it's important to have the latest edition? I'm seeing the previous one for pretty cheap these days. It's tempting....

I have HM I and I have spent a lot of time reading it. I really have liked it. I enjoy the way Anne Frye writes a lot.

I'm getting HM II for Christmas!!!
:

Reha - I got to talk to Carla on the phone for a while today. She said that you are one of her most favorite people on the earth. She said that people don't come any better than you and it was a very sad day for her when you moved away.

Carla was very pleased that us new enrollee's have this group. She thought is was really wonderful that we are already familiar with AAMI thanks to all of you already in the program. So, thank you for sharing the pro's and con's of AAMI with me. I'm super excited to get started!

#1,497 ·
Thanks to the huge discount at AAMI, I'm excited I can start calling myself a midwifery student! YAY!

Introduction: My name is Noa. I'm 26, never been married, never had any kids. I'm not worried that I haven't had children myself, but I look really young for my age (think 18) and I'm hoping that won't be a problem for me as a midwife.
I discovered midwifery when I was about 16 and I've felt extremely drawn to it ever since. The first midwifery book I read was Spiritual Midwifery (of course!). Since then I've started a collection of midwifery related books. I've been so afraid to pursue midwifery, so afraid it wouldn't work out for me, that I've ignored it and tried to do other things. But, the desire is so strong and it won't go away! I want to learn all I can. After researching many schools, I decided to begin my path with AAMI. Becoming a midwife excites me and scares me...but it feels right.

Question for AAMI students: would you recommend also taking anatomy and physiology, nutrition, and/or microbiology at a community college?

#1,498 ·
Anatomy and Physiology can cover some requirements. Not so sure about the others.

Synchro, I believe the newest Diagnostics is better because it's so updated with current figures. As for newest OB text, what do you think would be a benefit for you? I have an older Williams text and while it's good for in depth anatomy, chemistry, etc, it's crap for birth.

#1,499 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by learningloving View Post

Question for AAMI students: would you recommend also taking anatomy and physiology, nutrition, and/or microbiology at a community college?
As an AAMI student, but especially as an apprentice, I am so glad I took Anatomy and Physiology at the community college. I use what I learned all the time, and it lends a depth of knowledge to what I'm learning and doing. I'm planning on taking micro and medical terminology at the community college too - mostly becasue I love the classroom and learn best in that environment.

A&P is hard and time consuming, but totally worth it IMO.

#1,500 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
ok cool. i thought it was you. i had to leave at 8pm to put my kids in bed so i'm sure you didn't even see me anyways. i was in the back row, behind janice. wearing a purple shirt and gray sweater - hey we wore the same colors. funny! (oh and i went to the birthnetwork meeting in marshall for the showing of BOBB. then the next month danita and i showed up but nobody else did, so there was no meeting--and she was moving so i guess there just wasn't enough interest.)
Yes, it's really hard to start up a BN in a sparsely populated area with no money! lol.
I'm glad you got to see the movie, at least!
I'm planning on getting the movie "Pregnant in America" which I saw up in Traverse City and hopefully showing it at a few local libraries just to get the information out there.

#1,501 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Synchro, I believe the newest Diagnostics is better because it's so updated with current figures. As for newest OB text, what do you think would be a benefit for you? I have an older Williams text and while it's good for in depth anatomy, chemistry, etc, it's crap for birth.
:

#1,502 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
Reha - I got to talk to Carla on the phone for a while today. She said that you are one of her most favorite people on the earth. She said that people don't come any better than you and it was a very sad day for her when you moved away.

Carla is an awesome lady!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.