Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1798 Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Sorry that I can't remember names right now, but someone mentioned entering the CNM world & being fearful of getting sucked into the medicalization of it all. This is my fear, too! Maybe this group is where I'll find my strength to "trust birth" instead of "cover my butt," if I can be cliche.

One more question for the CNMers....do you have to do a lot of independent reading & studying (outside of your program's curriculum) to learn about alternative means of care? For example, off the top of my head, how to deliver a shoulder distocia? Everything I've read suggests getting Mom on hands & knees and doing a technique to dislodge the shoulder. I have no idea what an OB would do (pull real hard? use instrumentation?) but what do they teach CNMs? I'm sure there are better examples but you get my drift, right?
There are times when I notice that I have slightly changed my view in things, from what I've learned at school. However, it has gone both ways. One thing that has changed for the better in myself, I think, is the room in my brain for different needs and views of women. While I have my own personal values and preferences, I have much more respect for women whose views are different. Of course I still want to educate and give information on choices that have obvious health benefits.

As for shoulder dystocia, I agree with what maxmama said about ACOG, and wanted to add that in my program, the faculty midwives are all different and push us to develop our own personal "list" of what we would do in a SD. Many of the mws do hands and knees first, especially if the woman doesn't have an epidural, and others would do McRoberts first. It just depends on what has worked for them in the past. But the maneuvers people do depend on the individuals (provider and client).

As far as other alternative means of care, it depends on your program and faculty. In my program, we've had lectures on herbs, homeopathy, acupuncture, etc., but nothing very specific or long-term, so I personally don't feel like I know enough about, for example, the cohoshes, to recommend them or tell people how to use them. Other complementary therapies are widely used and recommended by the CNMs in practice, though. And the faculty practice does waterbirth, has a birth stool, has people birthing in all positions, etc. We do learn those things directly from the faculty CNMs. I feel like overall it's about as holistic as hospital-based birth can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 1798 Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
Hmmm. We're not name-calling, though, just worrying about the divisive nature of midwifery and it's accompanying biases/language. I could be wrong, but I think we're well within the UA to contemplate why these things happen and what can be done.
I wasn't suggesting that anyone was name-calling here, or even making a UAV, just a gentle reminder don't want my sistas to get in trouble

Quote:
On a personal note, I attended prenatals yesterday at clinic can I just say that I think I like prenatals more than labors/births? Is that weird? It's such a time of investigation and counseling and just really getting to know the women that we are serving. I did Leopold's on six different women yesterday, and got to assist in three paps! I saw some variations from normal with regard to gynecology, and that was very interesting! I got to brush up on FHTs and what an acceleration and decel sounds like. Also, we had a woman who is opting to complete prenatal care with us, then go to the hospital for birth, and I got to see how the midwife handled that and really listened as she was open and kind and affirming. It gives me hope that perhaps a truly collaborative relationship is wanted by some women--women love our prenatal care yet want to be in hospital for the birth, and we should be able to honor that.

All in all, I adored my prenatal day (my first) and I am proud of myself that I was able to get through the "touching" part of midwifery. I had told the midwife I was with yesterday that I wasn't sure if I wanted to, and she frankly THREW me into it. It was perfect, she didn't give me the option just said to the client, "And now, Amanda will check the baby and we'll see if we get similar findings." I couldn't quite say no at that point! She really knew what I needed and I love that.

I also attended birth number 11 at the birth center last week. Just 9 more until I have all my observes!
yay that sounds awesome

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#183 of 1798 Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the ACOG protocols for shoulder dystocia may not be the easiest to follow with a mobile population and for us out of hospital providers distance from the hospitals is a consideration when doing certain moves- you may have to re-start/repeat the protocols -- so adding that info into the mix as a suggestion of management we really do have to figure out what we are going to do- and then keep moving- probably the biggest point is know what to do, that you have a plan of the next move and that you have practiced it so you know how to flow from one move to the next rather than getting stuck in loop that isn't working- if you have a mom on a birth stool- moving onto hands and knees is probably going to be first- because it is just a forward move it is very hard to move a mom into McRoberts from most birthing stools, so in H&K what are going to do? try to deliver one of the shoulders and with very little traction/pressure on the head and neck- so will your hand easily slip in ? usually it will because there is nothing but neck in the birth canal sometimes a hand won't fit in because the vaginal tissues are pretty tight around the face- will a finger or 2 fit in? - time to think about an episiotomy if you can't get fingers in- where are your scissors? another midwife I know recommends trying to get the chin off the perineum slipped back into the vagina so there isn't as much of a locked in tug-o-war between the head and shoulder's positions, other things to consider if you have an assistant who knows what is going on - can she try to rotate a shoulder into the oblique from above with your fingers trying to move a shoulder-- and you are trying to move a shoulder by touching the back and moving forward because the chest folds in on it's self but if you push on the front of the shoulder it causes them to square up more and widen .... then which move next- I still find that women don't easily move right onto their backs so you have mom usually on her side- can you grasp a shoulder from the top and or inside and spin the baby then- then after that you can do McRoberts- you can still be attempting to move baby or assist while she is in the process of moving- you are going to run into the same kind of physical differences if a mom is standing or kneeling- very hard to move to McRoberts-- and Zavanelli when I have seen this done in the hospital- a stat section was done- right there-- I think that it is a consideration or thinking about what it is going to accomplish is a consideration at an out of hospital setting but other than getting a baby into a position that we will be able to rotate the shoulders by releasing the pressure not much use for us unless we are highly improbably in route to a hosptial-- any how that brings us to some other hard choices like deliberately breaking a clavicle -- I heard a lecture by a very experienced midwife in Utah who has done this and I recommend figureing out how to do this--I'll try to remember who did the lecture I think that AAMI has it on tape--any how if mcrobert's doesn't work back to hands and knees.... in route you may have another side lie position that you will want to try and use to rotate a baby- things you don't do- fundal pressure--- I also want to say that there is a difference between supra-pubic pressure and trying to rotate an upper shoulder into the oblique- do both but be aware that there are differences...
#184 of 1798 Old 01-26-2008, 06:46 PM

OK, I finally feel like I can "officially" join this thread after getting my acceptance packet from NCM yesterday! I've been meeting with my preceptor and helping out for the last two months, but now it seems even more real.

My stats:
School: National College of Midwifery distance program
Goal: become a CPM through a MEAC accredited school

I'm very happy to be in this with all of you!

Katherine

K, 26, married to D, 27, still trying to conceive our first child after a 7 week loss in January 2011
#185 of 1798 Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 PM

Oh dear...I'm behind again!

Happy Belated Birthday BirthIsAwesome!!! Those are wonderful birthday gifts!

Welcome Ashley and Laura and Kate!

cfiddlin ~ Congrats on another birth!! I COMPLETELY understand about the dh situation! We had to have a talk after I attended my very first birth. Like your dh, he was supportive in words but when it came down to it, he was really unsupportive on the phone when I called to check in (Mama had just received an epidural so I took a minute to use the restroom and call him). After I got home that night and having him be slightly rude to me, I sat on my bed and bawled...I was SO scared he wouldn't be ok with me doing this work. But we talked and he's a bit better now. Even my preceptor had to have a talk with her dh when she started getting busier (after taking time off to have her last baby). So just know it happens to quite a few of us in this profession. I'll be praying for you guys though...I know how frustrating it can be to not have that support from the one person you need it from most.

CNM vs CPM - I'm going CPM because here in OK, CNMs can't attend homebirths. And I have no desire to catch babies in hospital. The CNMs who are in the hospitals (and there are few of them) are so much under the thumb of the medical mindset that they can't really practice like mw's. At one of the hospitals that does VBACs, CNMs can do prenatal care but they can't catch the baby.

Good discussion about the topic though.

Keeping busy here and waiting on a Mama to birth her baby any day now.
#186 of 1798 Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome! Honored to meet ya' lazykate!

mwherbs, thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom... and thanks to all you other women for sharing your hearts, too as well as your knowledge and wisdom. I feel so privileged to have access to so much of such deep value.

I am always happy to be here where midwives and midwifery students of all kinds share, support, exchange and be with one another. There's alot of positive energy in that. Do you feel it?

I am really loving my studies, but feel so slow in them. I realize that when I am in a hands on situation, it will all percolate together and move much faster in my head. I love words so vocab is a constant thing. I need to get more books. What ONE book would you just have to buy/have no matter what? I find myself really beginning to express myself in my assignments. I feel like I am really aligning with my most true self as my path unfolds, so I am deeply grateful for the calling.

I am a parenting support worker for a local non-profit that assists local low income families. We're getting ready to add maternity clothing to our give-aways where I work. We are building a lending library around birth, parenting, pregnancy, toddlers, etc. What is the most essential book I could add to the collection? Anyone have a good way to handle a lending library? Time limits for video/DVD and book borrowing? You use a sign-up list, or cards/pockets (like the good'ol local library used to?)?

We'll also be hosting a community baby shower for pregnant moms and moms with children up to a year old, this spring. We are hosting an in service training re: postpartum depression.

I gotta run but I'm always reading and happy to see you all participating, so glad to see more new folks joining the thread. Enjoy the rest of your weekends, whatever should happen to unfold. J.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#187 of 1798 Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM

current books- I like A Midwife's Handbook by Constance Sinclair

Mothering mag has a old issues packs- so you can get a stack-o-the same issue to give away or keep one in your library
#188 of 1798 Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce in the mts. View Post
Welcome! Honored to meet ya' lazykate!

mwherbs, thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom... and thanks to all you other women for sharing your hearts, too as well as your knowledge and wisdom. I feel so privileged to have access to so much of such deep value.

I am always happy to be here where midwives and midwifery students of all kinds share, support, exchange and be with one another. There's alot of positive energy in that. Do you feel it?

I am really loving my studies, but feel so slow in them. I realize that when I am in a hands on situation, it will all percolate together and move much faster in my head. I love words so vocab is a constant thing. I need to get more books. What ONE book would you just have to buy/have no matter what? I find myself really beginning to express myself in my assignments. I feel like I am really aligning with my most true self as my path unfolds, so I am deeply grateful for the calling.

I am a parenting support worker for a local non-profit that assists local low income families. We're getting ready to add maternity clothing to our give-aways where I work. We are building a lending library around birth, parenting, pregnancy, toddlers, etc. What is the most essential book I could add to the collection? Anyone have a good way to handle a lending library? Time limits for video/DVD and book borrowing? You use a sign-up list, or cards/pockets (like the good'ol local library used to?)?

We'll also be hosting a community baby shower for pregnant moms and moms with children up to a year old, this spring. We are hosting an in service training re: postpartum depression.

I gotta run but I'm always reading and happy to see you all participating, so glad to see more new folks joining the thread. Enjoy the rest of your weekends, whatever should happen to unfold. J.
My go-to book is Varney's. It's definitely more from a CNM perspective, but it's so flipping thorough. If I were on a desert island (presumably with a lab and a pregnant woman, because don't all desert islands have those?), that would be my chosen book.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#189 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Wow!! That would be very cool to see. Did you have to break the BOW? I'm sure we'll learn something new at each birth! Hope you get some sleep!! I think my hubby will be the same way about me leaving while he is at work. I have a great network of neighbors that I might have to rely on! Most are SAHMs.

No, the BOW broke on it's own, just before the head started to crown. I actually missed seeing it break, cause I was looking down getting my warm blankets ready.

Thank you all for the kinds words about dh/dps. He really felt bad the next day and we had a long talk. He said he was stressed about money and how this whole thing was going to work and he was taking it out on me instead of supporting me. The conversation ended well and I accepted his apology. It was definitely rough though, cause for the first birth he was beyond excited for me and then the second one it was completely opposite. I have to say though, I really, really think I'm supposed to do this. It felt SO right being in those birthing rooms.

On the CNM vs. CPM thing, I have a few thoughts: CNM is not right for me. I have no desire to go become a nurse. This is in no way a judgment on those who do. It's just not right for me. While it would be nice to have the option of higher pay, better hours, more options of states to work in, it just doesn't seem right for me at this time. I also have some negative connotations with CNMs. 3 out of the 4 I've had contact with have not been what I think a midwife should be. Extremely medicalized. Not seemingly very interested in the whole woman, or necessarily remembering who you were visit to visit. No interest in alternative therapies. Rough and rude at the births, etc. I was treated pretty brutally at the hands of a CNM. Now I know that's not all CNMs across the board. It just really turned me off. I used think a midwife was a midwife you know? I also missed the hour long prenatals. They ran their practices just like OBs. The nurses did everything and the mw came in for 5 mins. So those are my rambling thoughts. Probably clear as mud huh? It's awesome if a woman can go through all that medical training and still come out with a deep trust in birth and women. I definitely think we need more hospital mws too.

One of the CNMs who attended my son's birth told me she used to do home births but "learned that hospital births are so much safer" so she quit doing them. That's just sad. Oh, and in my experience, CNMs look down on CPMs a lot.

I think it's awesome that we can have so many of us on such different paths be here for each other. It's very inspiring! I love this tribe!

mwherbs - thanks for chiming in here. I love your posts and have learned so much from you!
#190 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 01:21 AM

For vocab, I usually turn to my Tabers, HM volume 1 (yet to buy V2) and Varney's pocket midwife. There's a really good online site too called medlinePlus. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/encyclopedia.html It's full of pictures and diagrams along with definitions. Very helpful for me because I'm more of a visual person.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#191 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 AM

Oh and I forgot, teachinmaof3 - you said in OK CNMs couldn't do homebirths. What about that practice down in Norman? One of those three mws is a CNM and she does homebirths. I'm just curious about the legislation thing.... You know which ones I'm talking about right? We pm'd about them in Aug or Sept....

Joyce, for your lending library, I love Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, The Sears' books, and The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Kitzinger. For you, the ONE book? I don't know. I love Holistic Midwifery. I agree Varney's is thorough. For just the basics, I really like Hearts and Hands....

Your low income support group sounds awesome!
#192 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 AM

Jen ~ Thanks for that link!

cfiddlin ~ Yeah, I know who you're talking about. I really don't know how it works. It was my understanding that the OK nursing board (I think that's who it was) was pretty strict about it. *shrug*
#193 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 AM

I met another potential client today, and I've got a meeting with another client coming up on tuesday, just to take history and discuss birth plans and whatnot.

also, my next birth booked; the twins due in April that I was really excited about, were born. mama went into labour at 29wks, and was rushed for an emergency c/sec. the twins and mama are all fine, though the babes are in the NICU, weighing just under 3lbs a piece.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#194 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Very glad to hear that the twins and momma are doing ok! Wow, 29 weeks!

I know some of us have talked about the MANA conference. Is anyone planning to go yet?

The Midwives Alliance and the Michigan Midwives Association
present
Midwives Alliance 2008
in Traverse City, Michigan
October 16-19, 2008

I know, it's far away but it's only 3 hours from me! In August, I'll be on the East side of the state and in October, I'll travel to the west side! I've never been to Traverse City. Anyway, just throwing it out there to see who is interested!

Jen Burnett, DEM
#195 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a medical dictionary online that would also have sound so I could hear the prononciation of words? I know that books show you how to pronounce, but I have never been able to read and understand that part of the dictionary. I hate not being able to say technical terms correctly and always feel so stupid when I say them wrong.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#196 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Does anyone know of a medical dictionary online that would also have sound so I could hear the prononciation of words? I know that books show you how to pronounce, but I have never been able to read and understand that part of the dictionary. I hate not being able to say technical terms correctly and always feel so stupid when I say them wrong.
http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/i...p?objID=GEN504

I just found this one through Google - don't know anything about it, but it looks like it has a few useful words.

Sarah
#197 of 1798 Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 PM

http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_fremgen....cw/index.html

Here's another one that seems pretty basic, but might have a few useful words.
#198 of 1798 Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 AM

i know i'm a little late on this, but
Cfiddlin, sweet! I'm really excited for you!

Married to my love, mama to twin boys J&O (6), and expecting # 3 this December!
#199 of 1798 Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post

I know some of us have talked about the MANA conference. Is anyone planning to go yet?

The Midwives Alliance and the Michigan Midwives Association
present
Midwives Alliance 2008
in Traverse City, Michigan
October 16-19, 2008
I am planning to go to this although I may have to choose between MSTM retreat or this. I hoping to go to both but, we'll see.
#200 of 1798 Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks Eliza! : It's awesome. I just hope I can keep some momentum going....
#201 of 1798 Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM

I'm excited to have more books on the way:

Medical Terminology With Human Anatomy (5th Edition)
Buckley's Handbook of Maternal Newborn Nursing
The Language of Medicine: A Write-In Text Explaining Medical Terms
Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year (7th edition)
Research Updates for Midwives

I'm totally outgrowing my bookshelves (not to mention my wallet is screaming)! I still need to get Holistic Midwifery Volume II- anyone seen any good deals on it?

Have a good week everyone!
#202 of 1798 Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The best deal I have seen for Holistic Midwifery II is through Amazon. It was still $130, but free shipping.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#203 of 1798 Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 PM

when I was learning terminology the best investments I had were medical dictionaries and a couple used medical terminology workbooks -- now you can get a medical dictionary sometimes fairly inexpensively for the computer-

the majority of the books I used while first starting out were inter-library loaned-
#204 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
when I was learning terminology the best investments I had were medical dictionaries and a couple used medical terminology workbooks -- now you can get a medical dictionary sometimes fairly inexpensively for the computer-

the majority of the books I used while first starting out were inter-library loaned-
I'm planning to ILL a few of the books I'll need... it's usually pretty slow going for me to get books that way though so I thought I'd buy the ones I would need to reference often.

I need to get a good medical dictionary too... I've been using online ones up until now.
#205 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 AM

Dorland's is my favorite medical dictionary
although Tabers I have seen many women use

the medical transcriptionists I know use Stedman's-- but it is mainly the spell checking they are using it for.

I think I lucked out with my librarian or something- I ordered tons of books and this is when I lived in a little town in Eastern Washington and they got them or photo copies of articles--

I don't know how many medical words are pronounced on the Webster online dictionary but here is the site

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/
#206 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello ladies! Can I join?

I am a 23 year old midwifery student in Ontario, Canada. I have two daughters, aged 4 in a few days and 16 months. We have a four-year combined academic and practical university-based programme here. I love it so much, though since midwifery is still growing here, we have had to relocate a couple of times to be near teacher midwives!

It is such a challenging and difficult but beautiful and blissful life, that of a midwife. I try to take it a day at a time, and enjoy my children immensely when I'm with them. They love having a midwife (almost mama) and my dd1 says she's so proud of me for "helping mamas push their babies out".

I look forward to joining in on discussion and sharing learning!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#207 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 AM

My library has Mosby's- so I'll probably buy Taber's or Stedman's for something different. I'll have to look at Dorland's... I suppose I should go to a bookstore and check them all out before I decide.

I've been using the online medical dictionary at http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/ because it gives you definitions from at least two different medical dictionaries.

Sabrina, and welcome.
#208 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 AM

Welcome Sabrina
#209 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yH8yuld4DUE

Please, someone tell the movie writers to go back on strike.

:Puke

Jen Burnett, DEM
#210 of 1798 Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 AM

I've had a major setback here. I feel like I'm having to start from scratch as far as my documented education goes. On Jan. 15th our whole apt. complex burned down and since it started in our apt. in our bedroom while we were asleep, all our stuff was the first to be lost. I had just spent almost $200 on books (including buying Singingtree's Midwifery Handbook ebook and I totally forgot to back it up b/c I thought it was in the email I got when I bought it) and had just finished all my prelim. book and paper work for the SC School of Midwifery. We've been so blessed since then that I feel guilty for being upset about losing my books. Since we had to find a new place we had to sign a new lease which pushes back the date when we get to move out of state (for an apprenticeship) to next January. I can't wait to get everything back together. I still have to email my teacher and let her know what happened. I know I'll become a midwife someday, I was just hoping it'd be sooner rather than later hah. This looked so much like it was going to be a setback but (other than losing material things and things that held such intense memories) we have ended up with bigger and better things than we had burn up and we've got a much better idea of what's important in our life.

And also, that movie looks terrible! I hope that doesn't come out in theaters here.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page