opinions...adrenal support supplement okay for pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering taking an adrenal support supplement that's been recommended by my nutritionist. We're also planning to TTC next month, and I'm trying to figure out whether this supplement would be okay during pregnancy. It mostly contains a variety of animal glandulars. Here are the ingredients:

717 mg Defatted wheat (germ), nutritional yeast, bovine liver, bovine adrenal, porcine stomach, bovine adrenal PMG extract, choline bitartrate, oat flour, dried buckwheat (leaf) juice, buckwheat (seed), alfalfa flour, magnesium citrate, mushroom, bovine bone, allantoin, bovine brain, carrot (root), soy bean lecithin, veal bone meal, peanut (bran), and mixed tocopherols.

I have some issues that indicate low adrenal function but not much in the way of the usual low adrenal symptoms (I'm not fatigued and I don't generally get light-headed upon standing from a supine position, but I do tend to have low blood pressure).
#2 of 8 Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 PM

i'm not a birth professional, but i'm 28 weeks and on an adrenal support supp. given by my chiro who works w/pregnant women.
#3 of 8 Old 01-26-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Surely someone at least has an opinion...
#4 of 8 Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM

I would look at some purely plant based adrenal support. Many of the ingredients in the formula are food- oats, wheat germ, buckwheat, alfalfa. If you are into a product- check out New Chapter products which are based on foods, but are expensive. Get someone to help you look at your diet and how you could improve it.
Herbal infusions can make a big difference. Nettles, oats, red clover are my basic ones for pregnant moms. Reishi mushroom is a great adaptogen.
In the interest of full disclosure- I am an herbalist so am biased towards plants. Where are these animal parts coming from? How do they guarantee their health and well treatment? Has your chiro addressed diet and stress with you?
#5 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

They get their animal parts from free-range New Zealand animals, so they should be pretty decent. I did a lot of nettle infusions in the past but I'm trying to stay away from herbs now as I get reflux from them...which is one reason why I'm trying to find a product that has few to no herbs in it. My diet is very good but my stress levels probably need help...getting more sleep would probably help a lot, too
#6 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM

I read through lots of studies from the 30'40's about adrenal supplements during pregnancy. My friends, an ND, gave it to me in very high doses to help with morning sickness, not sure it did anything about that, I have hyperemesis with all of mine. I used the standard processing formula, which is animal based, I think.

You can do a pub med search, also go to bastyr's website, they have a search engine, not sure where else to look, but I have no problems having my clients use it if they want.
#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM

Bumping this because I came to ask the same question. Any more ideas here ladies?

I'm almost 9 weeks, my last pregnancy I had hyperthyroid for the first 1/2, resolving spontaneously without any medication. I'm starting to feel that way again: fatigue, insomnia, mild heart palpitations, hair loss, it's familiar. I would like to address it rather than just hang on until it resolves. Seems to me there's a message in there that should be heard, yk? I'm not educated about this enough yet to just start taking something. I have a lot more to learn first about the relationship between the thyroid and the adrenals, and I will talk to a provider first. But I have very low BP and salt cravings, so I think something overall is just off.

I'm looking at the Dr. Ron's Ultra Pure Organ blends, not with one particularly in mind...

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this subject. Not many threads here on it that I could find...

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so this supplement looks ok- but I have to wonder about timing to try and become pregnant- maybe once you have been on some adrenal support for a while and things have changed- then trying to become pregnant --- but as far as taking the supplement during pregnancy probably ok

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page