Advice on becoming a CPM - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading through NARM, MEAC, Midwifery Today's website trying to find a starting point, but still seem extremely lost in the process.

First things first, I need a distance education program as my family is not prepared to relocate at the moment, is there a school or program that you would recommend.

The school I've been eyeballing today is Midwives College of Utah, but at near $20K for the program I am a little hesitant. Does anyone have experience with this particular school?

I'll gladly take any advice CPM's on the board have to offer
#2 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Not a CPM, but did you look at AAMI? Or does your state's licensing require a MEAC school?

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#3 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, first.... is it important to you for the school to be a MEAC school?

If not, I would recommend AAMI. Tuition is WAY cheaper than a MEAC school and it is distance and has a really good reputation.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Well, first.... is it important to you for the school to be a MEAC school?

If not, I would recommend AAMI. Tuition is WAY cheaper than a MEAC school and it is distance and has a really good reputation.
I agree... though I'm still only in the orientation phase of AAMI so just starting. MUCH cheaper than a MEAC school.

Have you read the MT book Paths to Becoming a Midwife (it covers paths to CNM and CPM)? I didn't buy a copy until after I'd already chosen AAMI and enrolled but it also had ideas for apprenticeships and such too.

GL!
#5 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

hi Briana!

I've done a lot of research into the National College of Midwifery, which is in Taos, New Mexico...they have a great distance program. You have to hook up with a preceptor midwife from the beginning of your program. Tuition for your whole program is under $5000 and I believe (haven't looked at their website in awhile) that they are MEAC accredited. After their program, you receive an AA degree in midwifery (approved by the New Mexico state Board of Higher Education - so it's real!) and you have to sit the NARM exam or other state exam to graduate.

I've talked a lot with them on the phone and they were SO HELPFUL!!! and REALLY nice. I've also spoken with a couple of the local midwives here in LV and they are all receptive to having an apprentice. I plan on starting the program in 2009. There is also an active group of midwifery students in LV. They meet for study groups and support each other. They're all doing different programs - which, in my opinion, is a good thing! PM me if you want more info.

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#6 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iemaja View Post
After their program, you receive an AA degree in midwifery (approved by the New Mexico state Board of Higher Education - so it's real!) and you have to sit the NARM exam or other state exam to graduate.
I am a graduate of National College of Midwifery (AS midwifery) and wanted to acknowledge it is a MEAC accredited program and is approved by NM Board of Higher Learning, however, it is not part of the regional community college circuit. So that is to say it's recognized by MEAC, NARM, and NM, but nowhere else. So you shouldn't plan on or assume any degree you earn from NCM will transfer to the "real world" of college if you should plan to go on with education after NCM.

My unsolicited advice is if you are going to do a MEAC or PEP method of education, get your core components (A&P, microbiology, English comp--midwives write a lot!, math, etc) done at a community college because you never know what you might be open to or able to afford later. Doing anatomy and physiology through a module is 100x different (and often inadequate) than when you do it in class with hands-on. Rely on the actual midwifery courses through the program, but not the core. IMHO, ahem
#7 of 16 Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM

Check out www.texasmidwives.com

Their program is not MEAC but they have an arrangement that allows you to avoid the PEP process through an apprenticeship/preceptor model. It's distance and totally affordable.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#8 of 16 Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 AM

I too am looking at CPM programs (only theoretical at the moment) and ran across The Aviva Institute online - they are only distance and fairly new. They aren't accredited yet but are in the process. Their web address is http://avivainstitute.org/. From spending some time on the website it looks fairly reputable. I'm considering doing the doula training - a prereq for the midwifery anyway - just to get a feel for the place. If anyone else out there has had any experience with Aviva please speak up - I'd really be interested in other people's impressions.
#9 of 16 Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Plain old apprenticeship is great for hands-on learning, but it can be really difficult to gather all the knowledge you need for the NARM exam. If you're not going to go to a MEAC program you need to find some way to organize your studies. AAMI is one way (AAMI is not a school, it's a study program).

I enrolled in AAMI. Ultimately I never submitted all of my work to be considered "graduated" but the assignments did go a long way in helping me learn the academics I couldn't get through apprenticeship. I did the work, but had a lot of trouble with the way it was required to be organized. Carla kept saying "Trust me, I am helping you learn how to learn and you'll thank me for it." Well, I already had one college degree and some master's credit under my belt so I obviously had already found a study and organization method that worked for me, and having to organize it someone else's way actually got in the way of my learning. Still, like I said, it provided me with a guide for what to study and that was invaluable.
#10 of 16 Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 AM

I am so glad this was brought up. I am thinking of enrolling in a program this fall and I have a question. What is the advantage of going to an MEAC accredited school? There is a program in my state (AK) that is fairly inexpensive but is not MEAC accredited but you can take the NARM through the PEP process. What would be the benefit of paying more for an MEAC school?

TIA!
#11 of 16 Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM

I was asked by someone I consider a friend to clarify my message as she took issue with it. Things I have added will be in color. Here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwife Kris View Post
I am a graduate of National College of Midwifery (AS midwifery) and wanted to acknowledge it is a MEAC accredited program and is approved by NM Board of Higher Learning, however, it is not part of the regional community college circuit. So that is to say it's recognized by MEAC, NARM, and NM, but nowhere else to the best of my knowledge as I have attempted to use my degree toward continued education in Colorado and California. So you shouldn't plan on or assume any degree you earn from NCM, or any MEAC school, will transfer to the "real world" of college if you should plan to go on with education after NCM with perhaps the exception of Miami Dade College because it is a community college program.
Quote:
My unsolicited advice is if you are going to do a MEAC or PEP method of education, get your core components (A&P, microbiology, English comp--midwives write a lot!, math, etc) done at a community college because you never know what you might be open to or able to afford later. Doing anatomy and physiology through a module in my experience is 100x different (and often inadequate based on doing those core subjects by module and repeating them for transfer credit in the community college) than when you do it in class with hands-on. Rely on the actual midwifery courses through the program, but not the core. IMHO, ahem
More: It is my opinion doing the core subjects in lecture (and lab when applicable) will only benefit the student. There is no downside to knowing more than you need in practice. I enjoyed my education with NCM and have recommended it and will continue to do so in the future. I hope that is helpful.
#12 of 16 Old 03-16-2008, 07:40 AM

I decided that rather than uproot my family to study to become a CPM- I would try Aviva Institute. I have taken three classes there so far. I really love it. Doing the online classes is helpful for me as I have unique schedule requirements. I also think that finding a school where there is a convergence of so many years of CPM experience and education is something that made me feel comfortable with trying the distance learning model. The school is in the process for accreditation (which will take some time) so in the next couple of years the classes will transfer as they would from a regular school. I like it- the people are very nice and cool and into what they are doing, the instructors want you to succeed and they have so many years of experience. They tell it like it is which is important when getting ready for a new career. I think too that I was worried about feeling disconnected from classmates as everything is online but I feel extremely connected to my classmates and that has been an added benefit of taking classes with Aviva.
#13 of 16 Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM

I second the suggestion to read Paths to Becoming a Midwife.
#14 of 16 Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
Plain old apprenticeship is great for hands-on learning, but it can be really difficult to gather all the knowledge you need for the NARM exam. If you're not going to go to a MEAC program you need to find some way to organize your studies. AAMI is one way (AAMI is not a school, it's a study program).

I enrolled in AAMI. Ultimately I never submitted all of my work to be considered "graduated" but the assignments did go a long way in helping me learn the academics I couldn't get through apprenticeship. I did the work, but had a lot of trouble with the way it was required to be organized. Carla kept saying "Trust me, I am helping you learn how to learn and you'll thank me for it." Well, I already had one college degree and some master's credit under my belt so I obviously had already found a study and organization method that worked for me, and having to organize it someone else's way actually got in the way of my learning. Still, like I said, it provided me with a guide for what to study and that was invaluable.
I'm glad that this feeling is not exclusive to myself...
#15 of 16 Old 04-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone else have experience with the NCM or Aviva? I have a feeling I might not be able to find a preceptor where we move (we're in IL), so I don't know what to do in that case, but here in IL, if the bill gets passed, I'll have to have an RN, AS in midwifery or BS to be legal here. I want to do AAMI, but I will likely need a "degree". Aviva is so expensive, though! $14k!!! And what if I do it and then the bill doesn't pass here? I will be up to my neck in more student loan debt! Anyone know when they might get federal funding?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#16 of 16 Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you talked to the midwives in your town? that is where I would recommend you start. Some midwives do teach/lecture or may have recommendations as to how to start. I started midwifery before schools were around probably the only program around was the older version of AAMI a gal I worked with used it and I thought it was very organized and offered good direction. I just did self study, still do self-study, and go to different relevant classes- like NNR or CPR or sometimes march of dimes has seminars on pregnancy or birth related things-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page