Aviva Institute for midwifery studies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently looking into midwifery study programs and a friend and midwife to be recommended perhaps looking into the Aviva Institute She is not studying through there, but said i might want to check it out. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM

I have a bit of experience....PM me for more info if you want
#3 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 PM

I am enrolling in the Fall program, I have "talked" to a student that is in the program and she can't say enough wonderful things about it. I wanted to get into a Masters program and they are going to have one in the near future.

Midwife to Many, Mom to 5, Ummie to 1.  Life is good on the Gulf Coast.

#4 of 6 Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
bump

Anyone know anything about grants or when they will receive federal funding? $14k is a lot of money!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 6 Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
bump

Anyone know anything about grants or when they will receive federal funding? $14k is a lot of money!
I am a student in the midwifery program, it's great. If anyone has any specific ?s feel free to ask! Probably the main thing to keep in mind if you are considering it is that it is NOT a self-paced program, and is quite intense. You need to have the time to study and be online just about every day. There are several deadlines for assignments etc throughout the week and with the fast-paced nature of the program if you get behind at all, it would be difficult to catch up. So just make sure you can actually dedicate the time to it.

As for funding, you should check with the directors about that, but my understanding is that it will be at least a couple of years. It is a brand new program and they have to get their accreditation in place first, which takes awhile (there isn't really anything they can do to speed it up, it just takes a certain amount of time for that kind of thing to happen). Then they will have to do more applications for funding etc.
#6 of 6 Old 04-20-2008, 07:40 PM

My midwife is one of the instructors and she speaks very highly of the program. She is both a CPM and CNM.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page