Studies on safety of 3D/4D ultrasounds? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any study information on the safety of optional 3D/4D ultrasounds? There are many people on my pregnancy board that are opting to have these done and I am curious as to the safety of them.

On a side note - they think I am a freak for not wanting to subject myself or the baby to this, and they all want to do it to see what he/she will look like. I am not concerned as I know my baby will look like her siblings (after all there are seven of them and they all looked very similar so I am not going to be super surprised LOL).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 AM

There are at least a few studies questioning the safety of ANY u/s - that might be a place to start.

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2008, 01:05 PM

The studies I have read say that ultrasounds are meant to be diagnostic tools and are safe to use as such. They are not meant to be used as photography. There are no studies that I know of that say one or two ultrasounds are going to cause any harm. From what I have read about US, it is conjecture that they are causing harm but we really do not know for sure.

They should also always be done by a certified lab technician in a hospital or radiology setting. Not at the mall.

I had ultrasounds done for diagnostic purposes and felt comfortable doing that. My first had 8 due to complications and she is perfectly healthy. My 2nd had only 2, the indepth series as I am an old mama. If I was young, I would have just had one to look for fetal heart defects and such, stuff that can be fixed if they know about it in advance.

I know what you mean about the due date clubs. They do a lot of stuff that is trendy and not exactly done for health purposes.

#4 of 9 Old 03-23-2008, 05:35 PM

I think they're a bit creepy, FWIW, but I have had a couple of clients opt for them.

If someone wants to have a sonogram, I much prefer a diagnostic sonogram because the 3d/4d sonograms use technology to conceal baby's "insides" which, IMO, is the one great advantage of u/s technology. But no, I don't have any studies to back up my opinions, sorry!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#5 of 9 Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 PM

Not on 3/4 Ds but about US in general...

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...p?q=ultrasound

http://www.askquestions.org/articles/ultrasound/ (this one does talk about 3D)
here is a quote from that article
Quote:
Because tissue heat increases over the length of exposure, well-trained sonographers limit the duration of any medical ultrasound procedure. But in multiple investigations of keepsake fetal portrait studios, FDA investigators found patients being exposed to higher machine settings for as long as an hour in order to obtain fetal pictures, much longer than is considered prudent
So if you are asking my opinion...I do not think that the keepsake 3/4D US are safe *at all* and I think they are downright dangerous! I do think that medical ultrasounds are useful in *certain* instances but even then, I don't think they should be routine for everyone...

Heather
#6 of 9 Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM

Just got this one today and thought it might help..

http://www.childbirthinternational.c...main_topic.htm
#7 of 9 Old 03-26-2008, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
X-rays were used prenatally for fifty years. Ultrasound radiation has been used since the mid-1960s for prenatal scans.

Prenatal ionizing radiation or x-rays were the de rigeur for most pregnancies and pelvimetry until non-ionizing radiation or ultrasound was deemed useful for most pregnancies.

My guess is that until doctors find another technology to replace ultrasound, we will not know how really dangerous ultrasound is. No one officially admitted how dangerous prenatal x-rays were until ultrasound was ready to use on a massive scale.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~
#8 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 02:59 PM

You can check this article - by Sarah Buckley, MD:

http://sarahjbuckley.com/articles/ultrasound-scans.htm

I am by myself a biomedical professional and refused an ultrasound expecting my baby (I would do an emergency one though).
It seems that it is potentially dangerous and it is true that we will know the truth later after a new method comes.
#9 of 9 Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Remember also that we have no idea about long-term effects as well, as the technology is so new and wasn't properly researched before becoming so rampant as it's such a money-maker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to four wonderful people: dd11, dd8, ds5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and brand new dd 07/23

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page