to doulas who attend UCs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't read the above debate but I'm answering the original post...

When you doula for a UC what are your requirements of the parents?
Education and personal responsibility clearly being taken and well thought out - I'm pretty picky.

What kinds (if any) forms do you have them sign?
A clearly defined contract of what I am there to do and not do and what my scope of practice is as their labor support.

How do you educate them if they ask for it?
I probably wouldn't, if they are looking for me to educate them I would consider that possibly this is not a couple I would feel comfortable supporting. That's my honest truth ... I feel that there has to be some major personal responsibility for a UC couple... I might direct them a place or two but would not BE their education... know what I mean?

How do you perceive your role?
My role as a doula always depends on the family, but I'd firmly stand on the "I don't do anything medical" ground.

How do you decide if it's too risky of a situation?
I listen very well to my heart and spirit and usually pray about it. Like I said, I feel I can be picky in this situation.

What do you do if your role is more as a monitrice?
That would not be my role so for me that is n/a.

I am an unassisted birthing Mom myself and understand the draw/want/need for labor support without it being medical at all. I also understand that a woman and her partner may be willing/able and ready to take 100% responsibility for their birth while still wanting labor support. In that case I would feel good about supporting them as a doula - but I would not do so for just anyone...

I am pretty big on doulas and choices and UC choices and such... many do not agree with me but that's where the midwife phrase came from "A midwife for every woman"... it's our uniqueness that allows us to serve (as a whole) a unique group of women.

I'm glad that as a UCing couple we can find a doula to support us as well.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#32 of 35 Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^ Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I totally agree on the education aspect. They need to put in the time to decide what is right for them. If they do then decide that they want a UC then they need to put in the time for deciding what to do if XYZ happens. The last thing I want to do is educate and them make a decision one way or the other based on solely what I said.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#33 of 35 Old 04-20-2008, 01:52 PM

As a doula I would not be comfortable attending a UC.
I am not opposed to UC at all mind you, but it puts a doula in an akward situation.
I am trained to deal with emergency situations that I may encounter as a doula. Ie. Baby catching, NNR, PPH, SD(somewhat) and could probably respond appropriately if the birth was to be a hospital birth and I arrived and the baby was coming(at this point I am legally obliged to call 911). However if I was at a UC and one of these situations arose I would feel obliged to act(and would of course!) but then I would be acting as a midwife, so the possibility of me acting as a midwife would be far to great. If they want a birth professional they should just hire a midwife to act as a doula for a UC(I would do this when I become a midwife) so to provide the labour support if needed, to sit in a corner if needed or to make tea if needed) but to be an expert in emergency situations, because that is precicely what a doula would do. Regardless of what our role is supposed to be if a woman is hemoraging or a baby is born with no vitals we will do everything in our power to save the baby and mother. Some doulas are trained to do this some are not.
Where I practice right now my participation in a UC as a doula would probably be illegal, I would be considered a lay midwife attending.
#34 of 35 Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
If they want a birth professional they should just hire a midwife to act as a doula for a UC
maybe, but the couple in the OP live in a country where there are no homebirth midwives. nada. it's simply not an option. there is nothing whatsoever available between UC and medicalised hospital birth. that information changes things a bit, IMO

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#35 of 35 Old 04-20-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage.Naissance View Post
If they want a birth professional they should just hire a midwife to act as a doula for a UC
I absolutely disagree with this as a UCing mother myself.

I don't WANT a midwife at my birth or I would hire one. They are different and the only aspect of a doula that I want (and I'm very clear with this) is emotional support. If I wanted otherwise I would hire otherwise.

I believe every woman should have this choice.

I understand that most would want to help in an emergency situation and I would as well if I were a doula at a UC that needed extra help - however I am very clear this is not to be expected of me at any level and I am very very clear that I do not expect this on any level from my own doula. I don't. We very simply want their emotional support should we need it.

Every doula and family is free to make their choice - I feel doulas and families should be wise and educated to the risks and pros/cons of hiring as they do (or being hired as they do) - but I don't think that a blanket statement can be made in re: to supporting UCs as doulas.

There are so many facets many don't or won't understand - but if others choose differently from me (or you), that's totally ok.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page