Ever known someone who just didn't go into labor? UPDATE #22! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 41+5 and scheduled for a repeat C-section in 3 days. I am devastated at the potential loss of my HBAC. I have a lot of feelings right now and this is a hard time. I was induced with my DS at 41+3 and ended up with a C-section 2 days later. I was not dilated at all and never had a single contraction until the induction with him. This pregnancy I have had lots of BH contractions and several days of promising early labor contractions on and off for the past few weeks (but not any for a few days now). I am certain of dates, and I feel this baby is "cooked" and ready. I've tried acupuncture twice, EFT for any possible emotional blocks, sex, and homeopathics. I'm not willing to do castor oil or herbs, as I don't know what I'm doing and I feel that could be dangerous. I'm also not willing to go past 42 weeks, as I really feel this baby has been ready for a few weeks now. Has anyone had a client/patient who just never went into labor? I've never had an issue getting pregnant or had any other "female" issues other than some cysts on my thyroid which have never seemed to present a problem. Could this be hormonal? This just feels so unfair, as I have done everything "right" this pregnancy...midwife, made major dietary changes, exercised, planned a homebirth...ugh this is so hard
#2 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Some women have longer gestational periods than others. The woman who caught my first son had 3 babies all at 44 weeks. Had she been limited to 42 weeks she too would likely have had seveeral c-sections. I am sure your body will labor and birth your baby and I hope that this happens before your three days are up!

What makes you feel that the baby has been ready for some time? Just curious.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Well when DS was born at 41+5 he was big and didn't hardly have any vernix left. His skin was already starting to peel. He didn't have that tiny newborn look...he was definitely finished and just hanging out. I REALLY REALLY thought I would have this baby right around my due date. Baby and I have had a perfect pregnancy...no issues at all. NST 3 days ago looked good but I had not had any cervical changes in 3 weeks. I know that some women don't have any change until labor begins. I don't have the feeling that this baby needs more time. I think baby is just like my son...just hanging out and waiting. I just wish I knew of a reason I haven't gone into labor. I think that would make it easier to accept. Here's hoping the next 3 days bring a wonderful surprise!
#4 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I was actually 42 weeks 3 days with my first and 41 weeks 6 days with my second (they are only 19 months apart). I thought for sure I would not go late the second time around. My second was quite a bit larger than my first, but both had no vernix and had peeling skin, long nails, etc. Neither were "babies" very long and by two weeks old they seemed to already be two months old. Oh, and I had very few contractions and little cervical changes until labor actually began. Just try to relax and maybe do some walking/cleaning. Just when the midwives started to scare me with the mention of induction and I felt pressured to have the kids did they finally come out.
#5 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom has six sisters. Of the seven of them, ONE went on her due date. The oldest two? Between them they had SIX kids, EACH ONE OF THEM were born at 44-45 weeks. They were sure of dates, too. Their babies were ready when they were born. Their placentas were healthy. The other four had their babies AT LEAST 42 weeks, usually plus a couple of days.

Almost every single mother I have worked with has "known" that her baby would be born early. Except that the AVERAGE first time mom births at 41.5. Average meaning that half goes before and half after, right? I would urge you to calm your spirit and wait for the baby to release the hormones that say it's ready to birrth. It will come. No, women do NOT stay pregnant forever. And until the advent of hospital births, generally, women didn't even consider the fact that their baby "wasn't coming on time." They waited till they went into labor and then they had the baby!

Your body DOES work. Let it do it's job!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiola View Post
Could this be hormonal? This just feels so unfair, as I have done everything "right" this pregnancy...midwife, made major dietary changes, exercised, planned a homebirth...ugh this is so hard
You are right it is unfair.
It could be your hormones, if you have had problems before with maintaining normal hormonal function.

Going into labor really is still a mystery.
No one knows exactly what starts the labor process. However, we know that certain hormones, such as oxytocin and prostaglandin, cause uterine contractions and the thinning (effacement) of the cervix.

They also think perhaps the hormones from the baby trigger labor by stimulating the mother's hormone production.
#7 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 06:05 PM

I've heard of women going to 43 and even 44 weeks before going into labor. The ONLY time I heard of a woman who just did not go into labor was that woman in Kyrgystan (I think it was there) and that was a one in a billion occurrence.

I personally wouldn't consider anything less than 42 weeks to even be late, just like you wouldn't consider 38 weeks to be "early"... it's the same thing, just on the other side of the due date. And note how almost all babies can be born at 37 weeks without any problems at all...so probably 43 weeks is just fine for almost all women as well.

The thinking is that labor starts when the baby's body uses a chemical signal to alert the mother's body that it is ready to be born. When the mother's body gets that signal, it starts the oxytocin cocktail that begins labor. If a woman doesn't go into labor it is because her baby's body didn't tell her body that it was TIME. (Rare exceptions to this, of course, but since they almost NEVER apply there's no reason to go into it.)

HUGS I hope you find the best solution for you, whether that is proceeding as planned, or telling them you are going to wait a week before consenting. And HOPEFULLY you will go into labor on your own in the next couple days and have a sweet and wonderful birth with no stress at all.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#8 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Except that the AVERAGE first time mom births at 41.5. Average meaning that half goes before and half after, right?
I think that would be the median, that splits the distribution in two equal halves. The average means that most women have their babies at 41.5 weeks, if the distribution is statistically normal. I don't even know why I'm saying this, maybe because I finally remembered something from Intro to Statistical Analysis, the course I barely passed

This said, some babies just need more time.
#9 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 PM

The thyroid cysts has me curaious...are you on thyroid hormone? Is your thyroid low, or has it even been checked? Low thyroid function is *thought* to be a optential reason for extra-long gestation in some women..I am convinced it was with me...with my dd I went to 41+3, and had tried all the "natural" induction stuff for weeks...my thryoid was low and not treated correctly. Second time around, thryoid treated correctly, went into labor at 39 weeks on the dot.

CPST
#10 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiola View Post
Has anyone had a client/patient who just never went into labor?
No. But there have been plenty of docs and some midwives who absolutely did NOT want to wait....
Quote:
This just feels so unfair, as I have done everything "right" this pregnancy...midwife, made major dietary changes, exercised, planned a homebirth...ugh this is so hard
As long as the baby's heartrate is still fine, and there are no issues with you, such as major swelling, blood pressure, etc, I would still wait. Most likely the baby will be born in the next week on his own terms, not the doc's....could you just not show up at the hospital? After all, I don't think they would come to your house and get you.... I sure don't want to see you give up your HBAC plans, especially since it probably isn't at all necessary....and you could use evening primrose oil capsules vaginally to help soften the cervix...i think the docs are just looking at potential liability issues and that they would get reprimanded for letting you go more than 42 weeks. Not that maybe you cook your babies longer. That *they* would get in trouble...who is really being benefitted here? And at what cost?
#11 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 PM

If you meditate or do guided imagry or would be open to something like this, I think you might really enjoy a day or treating yourself to a nice bath, a long walk, and some gentle nap/meditation where you focus on opening and reading yourself for birth. Talk to your body and your baby with love and kindness and become truely ready. Pelease any lingering fears or doubts and know that you are ready and that your baby is coming.

Do you have a doula? She could help you through some of this. If not, I'd be happy to talk with you some on the phone if you feel like hearing someone else assure you that your baby is on the way might help!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#12 of 42 Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM

adding another "you can wait" opinion to the pile.
as long as you are healthy, and the babe is moving and heart rate is fine, you can keep him cookin till he's ready to come out. Even if its 44 weeks.
if the average is 41.5 weeks, (meaning that EDD should really be calculated at 41.5, not 40 weeks) and you can safely go 2 weeks past the EDD, then you don't even need to start thinking about being post dates till 43.5 weeks.

I'd just 'forget' to show up to the hospital. y'know, call in sick or something
your baby knows when it's time to come out.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#13 of 42 Old 04-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Many women don't go into labor, (and some even claim they CAN'T!!) because few drs these days will "allow" women gestating longer then 41/42 weeks a chance to. And many midwives legally can't knowingly attend a birth past 42 weeks.

I'm hopping on the wait and watch wagon. If there is no medical reason to, don't induce. (due dates aren't a medical reason) Why would someone volunteer for the kind of risk that goes along with any induction?

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#14 of 42 Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 PM

My MIL has 10 kids. 9&10 are twins. They were all born after 42 weeks except for the twins were 40 +1. My dh #7) was 43+2. And the twins were a breech vaginal birth.

My neighbor on the other hand was pg with her fourth when her husband has a terrible accident and was laid up from surgery. The first three were born between 37 and 38 weeks . This pg I think she was 43 weeks and never went into labor and went from being 3 cm for 37 weeks to nada. She failed a non stress test and ended up with a cs. Her ds does have a severe learning disability deaf in one ear partially deaf in the other ear and his foreskin was sealed . Not sure if any of that has to due with his long gestation. Oh and he was 11 7 and 21 inches long. Sh ethinks she was under so much stress that she denied she was pregnant.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#15 of 42 Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 PM

My aunt's kids (my three cousins) were all born at 44 wks and one 43 weeker. They are all fine! My girlfriend had all of hers "late" too...except she had three sections. The first was induced b/c of "late" and failure to prog. The second she was det. to vbac and got to 43 weeks and it was determined that she had an incompetent cervix...section. With her third, she gave in and just wanted a "normal" birth with no stress so opted for the elective section at 40 weeks. Drumroll...the baby had extremely premature lungs and landed in the nicu for a week and a half. For once, her doctor apologized profusely and said they were wrong to take the baby so "early", and that if she ever gets pregnant again, they will wait longer....

He admitted to the fact that some women just have longer gestational periods....but it seems like there are MORE and MORE of us, doesn't it?

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
#16 of 42 Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM

I myself was born via induction at 44+5, and my mother was only induced due to having toxemia.

My DD was born at 40+1 thanks to a OB who swept my membranes without me consenting to it : causing PROM & related induction after 48hrs with no start of labor. She was most definitely not done baking - heavy vernix, apnea, and lots of issues related to stomach not being mature. We are still dealing with the stomach issues due to her stomach not maturing correctly. Her pedi even says she was a preemie in many ways, even though full term.
#17 of 42 Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 PM

I just wanted to agree with the pp who recommended making sure that you are at peace and truly ready for this child emotionally, psychologically etc... it's amazing how profoundly our fears can effect our pregnancies, labors and births.

best of luck, mama!
#18 of 42 Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mializ View Post
I just wanted to agree with the pp who recommended making sure that you are at peace and truly ready for this child emotionally, psychologically etc... it's amazing how profoundly our fears can effect our pregnancies, labors and births.
best of luck, mama!
Mom2,
I disagree with this emotional concept particularly for this questioner Hemiola.

Read what she wrote "she had Cysts on her thyroid" but she did not think they presented a problem.

She has not had it ruled out that her Thyroid is functioning normally at the end of her pregnancy. Thyroid function does change quickly and is affected in pregnancy (and affects breastmilk production and mood), I think she needs to investigate and rule out that it is not a thyroid function issue, if it is not then just wait until her baby and body is ready.

We have to respect the fact that a minority of women don't go into labor and it is an undiagnosed hormonal problem not an "emotional" or "rush to induce" problem!
#19 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 AM

dewi, that's true, but still, in the majority of cases, it is an emotional dystocia

#20 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Dont know the rules about this, but I am going to link to the thread in her ddc where she updated on her situation. I just have to follow up on these things, cant resist!!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=882907

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#21 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM

thanks for the link

#22 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who provided insight and encouragement! I was scheduled for a repeat C-section at 42+1 and was to arrive at the hospital at 1:30pm. My baby girl was born at home, in the water, that morning at 11:27am! I labored for 7 hours total and called the hospital to cancel the C-section 40 minutes before I was supposed to be there. It was absolutely incredible! For being so "overdue," our beautiful Mollie Annabel is absolutely perfect and weighed only 8lbs 5oz. The placenta was slightly calcified, but nothing major. She came out with her arm behind her back and had a minor shoulder dystocia, but I had no tears. My family is just over the moon with excitement and recovery has been SO EASY compared to last time. Absolutely no comparison! Obviously I just bake my kids longer than the men at ACOG do. Thanks again for the kind words, personal experiences, and reassurance!

Laura
#23 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Wow! That's so wonderful! Congratulations!!!

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#24 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

What a wonderful update! Congratulations!
#25 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM

YaY!! Congrats!

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#26 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM

Yeah! Congrats! I am so happy for you (I saw this on new posts!)
#27 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Wonderful! Congratulations on your HBAC, Mama! I bake my babies longer, too (42 weeks 1 day & 41 weeks 6 days). Enjoy your precious newborn!

Rachel, wife to my beloved DH Rick; mama to my 5-year-old daughter, Kyrie, 3-year-old son, Antonio, and daughter Epiphany, born 3-27-11!
#28 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Cooooooooooongrats!!!
#29 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Yay Laura!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world, sweet Mollie!!!! I've been anxiously awaiting your happy news!!!!!

Yay, yay, yay!!!!! This is thrilling news....thanks so much for sharing it with us.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#30 of 42 Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! I love that you canceled your c-section 40 minutes prior. I can only imagine the talk in the nurses station that day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page