anesthesologists charge for consults? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a student doula. Last night myself and another certified doula went to meet with a client. She said that she showed her birth plan to her Doctor and his only problem with it was the 'No routine visits by the anesthesologist"
His reasoning was that they just like to come by and say hi, introduce himself, get information and look at their mouth (for intubation).
My question is...do the anesthesologists charge for this quick consult in the hospital? I can't imagine a doctor doing a consult...even a quick one...for free. It would make sense for the Ob/Gyn to push for clients to accept a 'consult'...even if they are planning a natural birth...in order to drum up more money.
Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 03:26 PM

What you describe isn't really a consultation. I don't think they would charge for that, it's part of their job duties that are included in the salary they are paid by the hospital.
#3 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 03:44 PM

Around here, they don't charge for that sort of thing. I've worked in a few hospitals, though, and in a couple, the anesthesiologists come around, and in a couple, they didn't.

The ones where the docs came around? Well, those tended to be the ones where they seemed to care a little bit more about the women they were taking care of.

I worked (as a new grad RN) in one hospital where no anesthesiologist came around if he/she wasn't being paid. If you called them and asked them to come for an epidural and phrased it, "So and so NEEDS an epidural," they would hang up on you. Because, of course, no one NEEDS an epidural. It's all completely voluntary, and women "should have known what they were in for when they got pregnant." UA Violations.

In another hospital where the anesthesiologists didn't come around prior, they had different standards of anesthesia for Medicaid and private insurance. Not legal. Not ethical. Especially because this group was adamant about being good Christians. Another set of UA Violations.
#4 of 4 Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks nashville!...
We had discussed whether that was extra stuff or part of 'just what they do'

betsy...
very interesting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page