Is it common practice to break up cervical scar tissue... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MULTIPLE times before the onset of labor? She had an earlier cryosurgery and OB is "breaking up the tissue" at each visit starting at 36 weeks... From the description, it sounds to me as if the OB is stripping membranes...and at 36 weeks, she has lost her plug.

IS this common practice? Needing multiple "trys" to break up all the tissue in weekly "installments?" I have only ever experienced a practitioner breaking up scar tissue during labor.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#2 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never heard of it. Might work.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 AM

It'll be an easier labor if the doc can get the scar tissue broken up before it starts. I don't think it's necessarily a bad plan. The membranes are going to be stripped in the process.
#4 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM

I would love to hear how this went. I had scar tissue that would not break after many many many prostaglandin gel treatments and even the use of cytotek. After 30 hours of induction my OB broke the scar tissue (it hurt like crazy). I did not dilate fast enough after that and was given a c-section. I wish there was more knowledge out there about the possibility of complications for people who had had these procedures and the way midwives and doctors can and have dealt with them that DIDN'T lead to a c-section.

Mama to babygirl.gif 3/2007, vbac.gifbabygirl.gif 10/2009,  angel.gif 3/2012, vbac.gifbabygirl.gif 2/2013

#5 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 AM

might be this particular doc's personal strategy, and it may be multi-fold , breaking up scar tissue gently so that dilation will go without a hitch and stripping membranes , to avoid postdates and also avoid induction.
hard to say, if he has been doing this already and not AROM'ed he may have his technique down
#6 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 PM

I've been at a few births where the midwives have tried to break up the scar tissue in labor and it's been excruciating and hasn't always worked. Part of me wonders if doing it earlier might be a bit more tolerable for mom if she'd not dealing with contractions at the same time.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#7 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Sounds like a decent plan to me....i'd probably try not to strip as much as possible until later, but some stripping is just going to happen....it sounds like this OB is actually trying to help her have a vaginal birth!!!

CPST
#8 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Just outta curiousity must the tissue be scraped away for any previous cryo- freeze? Or does it depend on the extent of tissue removed? I thought I read it wouldn't neccessarily impact dilation in every woman. Share what you know!!! Isn't the cone biopsy more invasive?
#9 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Any type of cervical surgery (cryo, LEEP, cone bx) can cause scar tissue. The extent to which depends on a combination of the procedure and the woman's reaction to it (everyone makes scar tissue differently-some people form a lot, some a little). Or the opposite can happen: a severely weakened cervix (especially with cone bx) that results in an incompetent cervix, PTL, PROM, etc.

If the cervix is very stenotic from a previous procedure I think it is beneficial to try and break up scar tissue prior to labor. Whether in labor or not it is uncomfortable, but if successful, may avoid a c/s for failure to progress or an induction for post dates, or both.
#10 of 10 Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 AM

yep I agree with Kate3 doesn't really seem to matter which procedure. it is more common to see women who have had leep procedures in recent years and we still see women who don't dilate from scar tissue and I am frankly surprised at how many women do have problems. Actually in the 80's when cone was the common treatment I think I did not see more than 2 cases- but then again many of our client back then also did parallel care and docs were doing exams and stripping membranes far more routinely- so maybe they were breaking up adhesions without intending to-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page