Possible to create strong amniotic sac? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh and I have decided to go ahead and TTC #2. I'm terrified, and that's an understatement.

With ds, my water broke at 20 weeks. I had a ton of first and second trimester bleeding (complete with moderate sized clotting) (TMI, sorry) which my OB thinks was a contributor to the PPROM. He was born via c-section at 30 weeks after I had a small placental abruption.

With that said, obviously I don't want a repeat of that, so I'm looking for ways to create a strong amniotic sac from the beginning. I've read vitamin C can help with that, so I bought some supplements, and I've been taking prenatal vitamins for the last month.

Any other suggestions on avoiding PPROM/strengthening the bag?

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#2 of 12 Old 05-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Excellent nutrition from wholesome foods is always going to serve you well. Take more then vit c, I would take a wholefood multivitamin (I like the brand New Chapter Organics).
I would also start drinking Red Raspberry tea daily, read Susun Weeds herbal book for childbearing years http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Pregnancy_Problems.htm

I highly recommend Dr Brewers pregnancy diet. (the book contents is available for free on his website "Blue Ribbon Baby"). http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/
It is a higher protein diet for during pregnancy then most American Ob's recommend. It is not the "high protein diet like Atkins" it is the best diet for pregnancy and will help you have a better pregnancy.
#3 of 12 Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM

I have read that eggs are excellent for building a strong sac... maybe from Tom Brewer's website? I'm not sure, but I ate tons of them with my girls just in case.

Much luck to you!

#4 of 12 Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll swing by the HFS today and pick up a good wholefood vitamin and some RRL tea. I eat a ton of eggs, so I think I'm ok there.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 12 Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Nettle tea is great for pregnancy too! In my experience, they (nettle & RRL) lead to a bigger, healthier, placenta too.
#6 of 12 Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FYI... not all eggs are equal... the fresher, the better, and eggs from grass-fed natural chickens are even better. Might be worth checking to see if someone in your area sells fresh eggs...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#7 of 12 Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthLovinMomma View Post
Nettle tea is great for pregnancy too! In my experience, they (nettle & RRL) lead to a bigger, healthier, placenta too.
You know, the pregnancy where I drank "pregnancy tea" throughout, I had a HUGE placenta, I mean, the midwife was commenting on how huge it was and nurses were coming in to see it : My second pregnancy, I was much lazier about it and had a MUCH smaller placenta... the babies were about the same size, though. My eyes about bugged out of my head on how small the second placenta was, but my midwife said it was "normal" sized. That's completely anecdotal, but thought I'd throw that in there. I also had a *much* better diet my first pregnancy than my second.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#8 of 12 Old 05-14-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
FYI... not all eggs are equal... the fresher, the better, and eggs from grass-fed natural chickens are even better. Might be worth checking to see if someone in your area sells fresh eggs...
they taste better, too! we are lucky enough to get our eggs farm-fresh.

#9 of 12 Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM

My mw commented on how big my placenta was also. She had to weight it because she was so curious. It was a 2 1/2lbs. (1 1/2lbs is normal)
#10 of 12 Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

I am in the process of looking for a provider of fresh, free range eggs. I'm not having too much luck so far, so store bought free range will have to suffice for now. We are moving to a more rural area that has suppliers in about 3 weeks though.

#11 of 12 Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
I am in the process of looking for a provider of fresh, free range eggs. I'm not having too much luck so far, so store bought free range will have to suffice for now. We are moving to a more rural area that has suppliers in about 3 weeks though.
I'd suggest posting on your tribal area in the Finding Your Tribe forum...betcha you'll get at least one person in your area who can recommend a farmer with free range layers.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#12 of 12 Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 PM

Anecdotally...

with my first pregnancy I took good care of my nutrition and health, and my waters didn't release until just before pushing.

With my second and third pregnancies, I didn't take such great care of myself, I had PROM and no labor (8h til labor with preg 2, 48h with preg 3) and you could see it in the placenta (especially with the third pregnancy; my dh said it looked like a mess).

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page